Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I missing something - re the penalty?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Standing in the north stand looked like an absolutely nailed on pen. Was pretty surprised when everyone seemed so outraged.....

I too was in the north n1e, it was right in front of me and I thought it was pen. However given the reaction I was happy to stand corrected.

D

Deleted User X18H

I thought it was a penalty, haven't seen a replay. The ref had a view from the behind the incident . I also thought Bournemouth should have had another a while later when either Surman or Grabben went down over by the East Terrace. Hooper bottled that one.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was in WSL parallel with penalty area and it didn't look like a penalty. It was a high risk tackle, and one that didn't need to be made, but it wasn't a foul.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Standing in the north stand looked like an absolutely nailed on pen. Was pretty surprised when everyone seemed so outraged.....

I'm really hoping u are not a driver, from the upper north I like everyone else who was concentrating could see that Calderon won the ball as clean as you like.
Disappointing thing is tho that the ref from less than ten yards had a different idea, hate to say it but the must have been some bias in his decision, nothing else could explain it.
Before you all jump on my back, check out the replays on sky.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bloke went down like a sack of spuds, same as Murray used to do every other game. Referee left with no option but to give it really.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm really hoping u are not a driver, from the upper north I like everyone else who was concentrating could see that Calderon won the ball as clean as you like.
Disappointing thing is tho that the ref from less than ten yards had a different idea, hate to say it but the must have been some bias in his decision, nothing else could explain it.
Before you all jump on my back, check out the replays on sky.

I don't think the referee was at a good angle. All he could see was Calderon going sliding in, clashing with the Bournemouth player who fell over, and the ball running away.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am assuming that anyone who has watched the sky clip is not satisfied that Calde played the ball. Should have been a corner. Can't see how anyone who has seen the clip could argue different. Even at the time I was astounded by the crap decision as from WSU you could clearly see the ball played first.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
mrmagoo-718883.jpg

Quality, nice pic of the OP.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If he can't see it he shouldn't give it

Likewise. I thought that too. Side on, the assistant referee would have been in a better place to see the actual tackle that was made, so the ref should have consulted him.

Still, Calderon ought to learn that those tackles where you're almost going through the body of an opponent to poke it away are very dangerous ones to make, especially as refs can get it wrong even if his timing is right. There were other ways of dealing with that situation that were available to him.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Likewise. I thought that too. Side on, the assistant referee would have been in a better place to see the actual tackle that was made, so the ref should have consulted him.

Still, Calderon ought to learn that those tackles where you're almost going through the body of an opponent to poke it away are very dangerous ones to make, especially as refs can get it wrong even if his timing is right. There were other ways of dealing with that situation that were available to him.

Yes I agree, proberbly didn't nee to make the tackle, linesmen should have said something... But they never do, do they?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Seeing it back on SSN it looked an even worse decision than it did at the time. Annoying thing is they were never going to score from open play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here