Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Different type of player, I’m not sure Alzate has contributed much as yet, in his short career offensively. Just lots of promise

I really rate Alzate though, but perhaps the comparison should be with the more central midfielders, as other than RB, I see Alzate more central, almost next to a sitting Bissouma.

He was certainly more central for U23s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, he is a central midfielder.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Not saying he should start ahead of Alzate but saying that he is "not a Premier League player" is pretty nonsensical. If you are involved in 40+ goals in four seasons playing for a team that always finished in the bottom five, you are a Premier League level player.
If those stats are right, then i can't argue with that and you make a very valid point. I take away my point that he's not a premier league player.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Different type of player, I’m not sure Alzate has contributed much as yet, in his short career offensively. Just lots of promise

I really rate Alzate though, but perhaps the comparison should be with the more central midfielders, as other than RB, I see Alzate more central, almost next to a sitting Bissouma.

He was certainly more central for U23s

How much can he contribute if he doesn't get off the bench? He was playing well in his best position in central midfield but was effectively punished for going off to play for Colombia.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
How much can he contribute if he doesn't get off the bench? He was playing well in his best position in central midfield but was effectively punished for going off to play for Colombia.
Maybe Potter has in his thinking to leave out Alzate, MacAli and Trossard because of the upcoming internationals this week as they will be fresher when they come back.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But if you read the post I responded to it was the comparison with Gross.

I agree his best position is centre midfield which is my point.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Not in the Colombia squad, which is good news. That travelling must affect him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe Potter has in his thinking to leave out Alzate, MacAli and Trossard because of the upcoming internationals this week as they will be fresher when they come back.

Rather they weren't fresher for their (mostly) meaningless internationals!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s been posted on here that Trossard is injured

Yup.

Head coach Graham Potter said: “It’s an adductor and we are hopeful that maybe the other side of the international break he could be available.

“He only did it a day ago so we need to give it a bit of time to see how it settles down.

“The initial diagnosis is quite positive.”

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Not in the Colombia squad, which is good news. That travelling must affect him.

Although you don’t want players getting injured. They do want to play for their country and in world cups etc. Alzate has probably been dropped because he is not playing. Can’t be doing any good for his confidence or feelings, Especially as he was playing well before being dropped. Potter was prepared to give younger players a chance at the beginning of the season. All of a sudden neither Alzate or Connelly have barely featured and not because of form. He seems to be shoehorning other players into the side who are playing poorly. Is he losing his nerve and doing a Hughton.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Although you don’t want players getting injured. They do want to play for their country and in world cups etc. Alzate has probably been dropped because he is not playing. Can’t be doing any good for his confidence or feelings, Especially as he was playing well before being dropped. Potter was prepared to give younger players a chance at the beginning of the season. All of a sudden neither Alzate or Connelly have barely featured and not because of form. He seems to be shoehorning other players into the side who are playing poorly. Is he losing his nerve and doing a Hughton.

We've had the youngest average starting side in the premier league this season so I hardly think you can say he's losing his nerve about playing youngsters and doing a Hughton. Also, with Connolly I think you can say that it is form, I wouldn't start him either.

The Alzate thing is really strange though, I can see no reason why he hasn't started lately - he's a shoo-in for me. It's not down to age though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The flip side is - Alzate travelled to South America for the last internationals and didn't play a minute for Columbia, so what's the point? I think he got back to the UK something stupid like Thursday morning, with the Palace game on the Saturday lunch time. And that is before we even consider who we drop for those players? Bissuoma / Lallana / White have been doing well in midfield. Connolly shouldn't be replacing Maupay

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The flip side is - Alzate travelled to South America for the last internationals and didn't play a minute for Columbia, so what's the point? I think he got back to the UK something stupid like Thursday morning, with the Palace game on the Saturday lunch time. And that is before we even consider who we drop for those players? Bissuoma / Lallana / White have been doing well in midfield. Connolly shouldn't be replacing Maupay

Completely untrue - he came on as a 74th minute sub against Venezuela on October 9, and then came on as a 29th minute sub against Chile on October 13 and looked completely at home, from what I saw.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Completely untrue - he came on as a 74th minute sub against Venezuela on October 9, and then came on as a 29th minute sub against Chile on October 13 and looked completely at home, from what I saw.

My bad ! There was a window where he travelled and didn't play though wasn't there?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

The Palace game was also on Sunday, not Saturday.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We've had the youngest average starting side in the premier league this season so I hardly think you can say he's losing his nerve about playing youngsters and doing a Hughton. Also, with Connolly I think you can say that it is form, I wouldn't start him either.

The Alzate thing is really strange though, I can see no reason why he hasn't started lately - he's a shoo-in for me. It's not down to age though.

While I'm happy he isnt in their squad, the fact that he didnt get called up indicates to me that he is struggling with something (injury most likely) that makes it preferable not to use him unless absolutely necessary. A bit worrying. Having followed Potter for a long time, Alzate is exactly the type of midfielder he wants and I believe there is something else than tactics/performance behind his absense.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sign of a strong squad! For the next game Dunk, Trossard, Alzate and March will all have a good case for inclusion, but which four could make way? Gross has played well, Welbeck will surely stay in the team. Some interesting decisions for GP to make.

I do wonder if Alzate has suffered as a result of Dunk being out ? Moving White to midfield and bringing in Burn and Veltman gives both height and a more defensive look to cover Dunk's absemce. With Dunk back, I wouldn't be surprised to see White move back and Alzate come in. Veltman may miss out, together with Burn who would be replaced by the more attacking Solly who I think gives us balance. (And I know I've bought three in and only left two out, but hope that no one notices :wink:)

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter

Same for Mac Allister, dropped from the Argentine squad probably due to not playing regularly for us, hope it doesn’t unsettle them both if sitting on bench more often than starting.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I do wonder if Alzate has suffered as a result of Dunk being out ? Moving White to midfield and bringing in Burn and Veltman gives both height and a more defensive look to cover Dunk's absemce. With Dunk back, I wouldn't be surprised to see White move back and Alzate come in. Veltman may miss out, together with Burn who would be replaced by the more attacking Solly who I think gives us balance. (And I know I've bought three in and only left two out, but hope that no one notices :wink:)

You're not the only one to mention it, but I'm pretty sure that White was our deepest defender against Burnley. Anyone got one of those average position diagrams to confirm either way?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You're not the only one to mention it, but I'm pretty sure that White was our deepest defender against Burnley. Anyone got one of those average position diagrams to confirm either way?

defburnley.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here