Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Has to be a reason why he is now not starting, he was our best player when he did

Purely tactical I think. Consider the counter punch goals conceded after we scored against the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton - back line just lacking crucial protection from that space outside the box on the counter attack.

White is giving protection so that our wing backs, front 3 and Bissouma can all get forward, create loads, [but not score]. Alzate is young and more attack minded too, so there is little natural protection if he plays with Bissouma. They can do a great job, but neither is instinctively defensive.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Purely tactical I think. Consider the counter punch goals conceded after we scored against the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton - back line just lacking crucial protection from that space outside the box on the counter attack.

White is giving protection so that our wing backs, front 3 and Bissouma can all get forward, create loads, [but not score]. Alzate is young and more attack minded too, so there is little natural protection if he plays with Bissouma. They can do a great job, but neither is instinctively defensive.

Potter can’t view it that way, having played Alzate several times as a full back he must see him as decent defensively.

We’ve looked best as an attacking force with him in the side when we have had the ability to move the ball far quicker and with purpose. Last night again in many situations we were ponderous and didn’t make the pass quick enough.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Potter can’t view it that way, having played Alzate several times as a full back he must see him as decent defensively.

We’ve looked best as an attacking force with him in the side when we have had the ability to move the ball far quicker and with purpose. Last night again in many situations we were ponderous and didn’t make the pass quick enough.

Potter’s full backs tend to have more attacking heads on than not? Especially with a 3, you give up a bit of defensive width, so at least 1 of your CMs has to drop in if 1 of the 3 CBs gets pulled wide. Watch out goals conceded back this season - they come from outside to in through a channel - exactly where you want a holding midfielder to be.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
With Dunk returning I can see a back three of Dunk, Webster and Veltman with White sitting in midfield, sadly Alzate will get pushed further down the pecking order.

I can see Alzate being pushed out to LWB.
On last night's showing, I suspect Webster could be dropped to the bench.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I am absolutely mystified by this, man of the match against Man Utd and then has only started one game since. He is better than both White and Gross in that position who have played there instead.

We were crying out for him last night. Clearly the hopeful crosses into the box were never going to work so he should have been on instead of Gross to try and create something through the middle with Lallana and Bissouma with his ability to carry the ball and pick a pass.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s the one consistent issue I have with Potters (otherwise great team selections).

Biss and Alzate have the potential to be one of the best CM pairings in the Premier League in my opinion. The problem seems to be GP wants to crowbar Ben White into CM. He obviously has a good reason for this, but it’s costing Alzate his place, which seems pretty harsh on one of our most exciting players.

He could of course be carrying an injury, they may be being careful as he had surgery last season. Let’s see what happens.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I can’t see how anybody with more than one brain cell can defend Potter selecting Gross the snail over Alzate. Unforgivable unless he’s injured imo.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can’t see how anybody with more than one brain cell can defend Potter selecting Gross the snail over Alzate. Unforgivable unless he’s injured imo.

He’s on the bench so can’t be. Who knows what goes on in the mysterious world of Potters head!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’ll have a go.

Groß has a good record of assists and goals from the Bundesliga and Premier League.

That is exactly what we need now.

Alzate has yet to show a goal scoring instinct for the first team or an ability to create lots of assists.

We dominated the game without Alzate yesterday, he would not have helped us score or assist anymore than Groß did.

Personally I’d have Ali Mac/J or Izquierdo in for Groß, Alzate is good deeper alongside Biß but Groß is likely to lose his place to Troß when he returns from injury.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
I’ll have a go.

Groß has a good record of assists and goals from the Bundesliga and Premier League.

That is exactly what we need now.

Alzate has yet to show a goal scoring instinct for the first team or an ability to create lots of assists.

We dominated the game without Alzate yesterday, he would not have helped us score or assist anymore than Groß did.

Personally I’d have Ali Mac/J or Izquierdo in for Groß, Alzate is good deeper alongside Biß but Groß is likely to lose his place to Troß when he returns from injury.

Alzate was playing well before being dropped which is one the things i don`t understand with GP as with Ali J .Alzate is probably our most skillful player with Bissouma .Lallana is also skilful but his experience makes him more effective in the last third .The good thing is we have 4 or 5 players that in Fans opinions would be in the first 11.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I really hope Alzate doesnt get picked for the next Colombia game.

Last year he started well, went away to South America, got some injury niggle (or if it was the beginning of his groin injury) and didnt play for weeks (despite occasionally being on the bench).

Same situation now, maybe without the injury but travelling to different continents to play elite football is possibly physically taxing not only in the short run but perhaps for weeks.

Colombia are playing away against Ecuador next week, one of the absolutely most difficult countries to play in. The high altitude took them to a few World Cups. Like Henry put it the other way (but highlighting the even worse Bolivia):

"When I see people having a go at Messi, I laugh ... people forget that last month he went to play in Ecuador and then he went to play in Bolivia. You can't even walk in Bolivia! Players coming from Europe, you'll pass out,"

I hope the Colombian management notice that Alzate didnt play and dont select him for the squad. Obviously he probably loves playing for his national team but unfortunately it could have a large negative impact on his career.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Gross was very good in the first half. Linked up especially well with lamptey. It's another close selection decision

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Gross slows us down. Always. He’s not even close to Alzate.
Agree, Gross is not a premier league player. A decent guy/professional/reliable et al, but we can't be playing him if we have ambitions above the bottom three.

I don't really understand the Alzate omission. Perhaps he has Covid, injured, not fit whatever. He's one of our more talented players.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree, Gross is not a premier league player. A decent guy/professional/reliable et al, but we can't be playing him if we have ambitions above the bottom three.

I don't really understand the Alzate omission. Perhaps he has Covid, injured, not fit whatever. He's one of our more talented players.

Gross is the all time leading point producer in the PL for Brighton. Involved in 44 goals, 14 more than Glenn Murray in second place and 20 more than Maupay in third place.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Gross is the all time leading point producer in the PL for Brighton. Involved in 44 goals, 14 more than Glenn Murray in second place and 20 more than Maupay in third place.
Fair enough, but he's also played a lot more games. Statistically speaking if we have a team full of Gross, we'd be storming the league, right?

This isn't money ball buddy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Fair enough, but he's also played a lot more games. Statistically speaking if we have a team full of Gross, we'd be storming the league, right?

This isn't money ball buddy.

Not saying he should start ahead of Alzate but saying that he is "not a Premier League player" is pretty nonsensical. If you are involved in 40+ goals in four seasons playing for a team that always finished in the bottom five, you are a Premier League level player.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Sign of a strong squad! For the next game Dunk, Trossard, Alzate and March will all have a good case for inclusion, but which four could make way? Gross has played well, Welbeck will surely stay in the team. Some interesting decisions for GP to make.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Gross slows us down. Always. He’s not even close to Alzate.

Different type of player, I’m not sure Alzate has contributed much as yet, in his short career offensively. Just lots of promise

I really rate Alzate though, but perhaps the comparison should be with the more central midfielders, as other than RB, I see Alzate more central, almost next to a sitting Bissouma.

He was certainly more central for U23s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here