All Things Bennetts Field Car Park - including club statement (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To help spread the load we have arranged for the bars in the stadium to remain open after evening matches until 11pm. This will enable those who wish to do so to remain with their guests and ensure a much shorter wait in the car park.

This is a massive bonus for everyone if it also applies to concourse bars as well.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting statement. Although the queue jumping referred to was inevitable given the poor organisation.

Still not sure they are addressing the real issue and I'm less than optimistic now, but will see how it goes on Saturday.

Interesting that they didn't use the phrase "Bennetts Field was a half arsed late decision that was never intended originally and that's why it's a disaster", which would perhaps have summed the situation up a little better.

... Finally however, we are happy to arrange for any 1901 Club Member who would like to transfer to the University of Sussex car parks from Bennett's Field to do so and if this is an option you would like to take up you should contact the 1901 Club representatives who will be happy to exchange your car parking passes for you.

Your faithfully

Steve Reeves
Transport Manager
... and that is the answer, for anyone who really wants a quicker getaway.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That letter sounds entirely reasonable to me.

So, in essence:

-the experimentation with the traffic light phases might help a bit
-the club are doing what they can
-you have the option not to sit in your car but to wait in the ground until 11 if you so wished (bear in mind most midweek games will be over by just after half nine)
-don't be rude, gobby or offensive to stewards and don't drive like twats, and have a bit of patience like fans of other clubs do
-feel free to move car parks or find another method of transport

Problem pretty much solved, as far as I can see.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
... and that is the answer, for anyone who really wants a quicker getaway.

Unless you have an elderly father who can't walk the distance. Could he hitch a lift on your bus? In fact are there any plans to run more of a shuttle for the elderly only from Sx Uni?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It sounds as if they're doing their best to get it sorted. Would be handy in the meantime if people do their best to help out by following the guidance.

Unless you have an elderly father who can't walk the distance. Could he hitch a lift on your bus? In fact are there any plans to run more of a shuttle for the elderly only from Sx Uni?
Yes, of course he could use one of my buses. The service is not just for wheelchair users, it's for anyone who needs it. And, if there's room, anyone who is accompanying them. All you have to do is get a parking space in Car Park 5 at Sussex University - and the buses are now picking people up from the middle of the car park. Post-match, they pick up from next to the lift.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Two further questions guys.
How long is the walk over to the University of Sussex car parks from the stadium? 5 mins / 10 mins?
How long does it currently take those who are parking at the Uni to get on to the A27?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
barnet_blue_bicycle.jpg

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Most pleasing thing about the 'letter' from the transport manager, is that it shows the club does take all complaints on board and it does appear they are trying very hard to minimise delays.

Hope all the people affected get a copy of the letter and give the new ideas a chance to work.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
A big well done to the club for dealing with this head on - I just got my email as well.

The acid test now of course will be to see if the BF car park clears more quickly than 1 hour 17 minutes, especially after the next night game.

Fingers crossed...

Two further questions guys.
How long is the walk over to the University of Sussex car parks from the stadium? 5 mins / 10 mins?
How long does it currently take those who are parking at the Uni to get on to the A27?

Depending in which C/P you're parked, I'd say 10-15minutes if you're fully mobile.

Took us about 10 mins from C/P3 on Tuesday, Donny and Gills were straight out; Blackpool a bit of a pig due to a conflicting event in Stanmer Park. Only real issue I can see going forward is the increasing tail-back from the rh turn at the lights at the bottom of Coldean Lane - might be due to the amount street parking in Coldean but who knows atm.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Seems that they are doing what they can and if the majority of able-bodied car users move to the University Car Parks and the Selfish twats who got the stewards withdrawn lose their parking spaces we may have a workable solution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports