Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

all gone quiet on the glenn murray rumour

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was very keen for this to happen before Hemed found his scoring boots again, now I'll be happy if we get him but not too bothered if we don't. Will all change again if BZ gets injured though as surely the club realise that we do need a Wiley old head available when the other strikers start snatching at shots. I don't have much confidence in any of the other strikers under pressure. Without BZ we would be mid table imo

In fact, just get him in and take the strain off poor old Bobby having to lead the line every game.

Yes, I certainly feel for Bobby at the moment, he has played a lot lately, and those old legs of his have started to look very tired in the last few weeks, and the games are coming thick and fast now. As much as I love Tomer, he isn't exactly a goal machine, Wilson only seems to be getting cameo appearances of late, and of course Baldock has been out injured.

Taking all that into account, I really think that we could do with the insurance of Murray's goals, and with him in the squad it would take some of the pressure off our other strikers.

We won't get too many chances of achieving automatic promotion, and I want to make sure we do all that we can in order to achieve it this season.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I don't concur with this. We cant find a place for all the strikers we have in our squad. Zamora, Hemed, Baldock and Wilson. They are all fit now and we are paying wages for all of them. We are not struggling to score goals at the moment so why would we increase our wage bill unnecessarily.

Hemed had been struggling but I think (hopefully) he might have turned the corner in recent games. I think we should run with what we have for now because the strike force is not too bad and who is to say that Murray would improve on them. Boro spent £9million on a striker who, if I am honest did not look worth anywhere near that sort of money last night.

Lets be honest though it was ruddy hilarious to watch how badly he did.

I couldn't believe how often he was throwing himself to the floor as well!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I don't concur with this. We cant find a place for all the strikers we have in our squad. Zamora, Hemed, Baldock and Wilson. They are all fit now and we are paying wages for all of them. We are not struggling to score goals at the moment so why would we increase our wage bill unnecessarily.

Hemed had been struggling but I think (hopefully) he might have turned the corner in recent games. I think we should run with what we have for now because the strike force is not too bad and who is to say that Murray would improve on them. Boro spent £9million on a striker who, if I am honest did not look worth anywhere near that sort of money last night.

Some IDIOTS on here were DEMANDING that we SINGED Roads , looking a bit STUPID now

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Glenn Murray is a better striker than Bobby or Hemed or Baldock or Wilson, though. If Bloom wishes to up his gamble a little, to improve on what we have, that's his call.

Certainly wouldn't blame him if he chose not to, mind.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Yes, I certainly feel for Bobby at the moment, he has played a lot lately, and those old legs of his have started to look very tired in the last few weeks, and the games are coming thick and fast now. As much as I love Tomer, he isn't exactly a goal machine, Wilson only seems to be getting cameo appearances of late, and of course Baldock has been out injured.

Taking all that into account, I really think that we could do with the insurance of Murray's goals, and with him in the squad it would take some of the pressure off our other strikers.

We won't get too many chances of achieving automatic promotion, and I want to make sure we do all that we can in order to achieve it this season.

Makes me appreciate how good Bruno is. The same age as Bobby but has played pretty much every minute of every game. On top of that, he's been terrific.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Makes me appreciate how good Bruno is. The same age as Bobby but has played pretty much every minute of every game. On top of that, he's been terrific.

I remember Chris saying to me once that both Bruno and Calderon are two of the fittest lads in the whole squad, despite their age

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

I agree, all I saw was Rhodes chucking himself to the floor at every opportunity. If that's what £9m gets yer, they're welcome to him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember Chris saying to me once that both Bruno and Calderon are two of the fittest lads in the whole squad, despite their age

They probably choose to eat properly too :smile:

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Cant believe some people are saying they would rather not have Murray, He is quality and proven at this level and would be a major boost for us if we are pushing for automatic promotion. Also writing Jordan Rhodes off after 1 full appearance seems a bit foolish. A proven goalscorer at this level can be the difference

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Glenn Murray is a better striker than Bobby or Hemed or Baldock or Wilson, though. If Bloom wishes to up his gamble a little, to improve on what we have, that's his call.

Certainly wouldn't blame him if he chose not to, mind.
Younger maybe, but only two and a half years younger, so may be better able to play 90 minutes three times a week - but better than BZ. Sorry, can't agree with that.

(He's only two and a half years younger than Bruno too - and I don't remember him covering as much ground when he was here as Bruno does now!)

Agree with you it's up to Bloom - and like you I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Because Palace offered him a few thousand pounds a week more than we did. Of course you'd turn that down, you'd put a random club (which is what we are) ahead of your family.

Yep this. Footballers (like most of the human race) really are wage slaves and thats all, it was down to brass tacks. Glenn was/is a very good striker but like all footballers a man for hire and the highest payer wins. It really is that simple. We like to think of them as "ours" and certainly there will be the Ian Chapmans and Caldes and Perry Digweeds, Steve Gattings etc who have done years but not often, to Glenn we were just another club as Palace are as Bmth are and whoever he turns up next when he winds down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Younger maybe, but only two and a half years younger, so may be better able to play 90 minutes three times a week - but better than BZ. Sorry, can't agree with that.

(He's only two and a half years younger than Bruno too - and I don't remember him covering as much ground when he was here as Bruno does now!)

Agree with you it's up to Bloom - and like you I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

Its a game of opinions. Mine is that the Murray of 2016 is a better all-round striker than the Bobby of 2016. In fact I don't even think its close, however much I love Bobby.

Now if you were comparing the two at their respective peaks, that's an entirely different discussion.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I couldn't split them on footballing brains, they are both team players. If we swapped them in the team the rest of the players wouldn't have to adapt their game to suit them.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
He is better and or fitter (Zamora) than the strikers that we have so not sure why so many are against it. He would be the most suited to be a lone striker if we needed to go that route in future and could play with any of our other strikers as part of a 2 :shrug:

I genuinely cannot think of another viable forward in the country that is a better option than Murray to come in. If you can improve on what you have, why shouldn't you?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Considering Howe isn't going to let Murray go out on loan none of this matters. If we do get another striker in it isn't going to be Glenn

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here