Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I disagree with you entirely. Potter is not stupid to use someone that needs too much time on the ball and too much space as his first and most frequent substitute. Potter sees AJ everyday at training and that is precisely why he think of AJ as our first substitute.

I'm not sure I understand your point or if you're being serious. Potter brings him on when the game is stretched at the end because he'll get more space and time. He doesn't have the power, pace or composure to start regularly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Look up Wout Weghorst. He was Jahanbakhsh's teammate at AZ Alkmaar in the 2017/2018 season. That season in the Dutch Eredivisie Weghorst scored 18 goals and had 6 assists as the club's CF. Jahanbakhsh that same season scored 21 goals and had 12 assists as a Right Winger. Following season Jahanbakhsh moved to Brighton to play practically at right full back for Brighton under Hughton and registered no goals or assists in the league while Weghorst signed for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. In his first season Weghorst scored 17 goals and had 7 assists, and in the current season he has 18 goals and 6 assists.

So it's not impractical at all to state Jahanbakhsh could score 10-15 goals in the premier league.. I've watched every single professional match Jahanbakhsh has played starting from his first season in Holland in 2013. I don't think you guys realize the player you've had on your hands that's been wasted at Brighton.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

In the Eredivisie season after that, 2018/19, PSV striker Luuk de Jong and Ajax winger Dusan Tadic were the top scorers in the Eredivisie with 28 goals each. By your reasoning they should easily score 15-17 goals in the PL.

Luuk de Jong got 10 goals in 65 league games for Sevilla. Dusan Tadic scored 20 goals in 134 appearances for Southampton. As I'm sure you know, the year before Ali Js 21 goals, Gucci and Van Wolfswinkel shared the second place in the Eredivisie top scorer list with 20 goals each. This surely means they would have - easily - scored somewhere around a dozen goals in the PL? In reality, Gucci scored 3 goals in 38 games for Charlton in the Championship and RVW scored one goal in 25 appearances for Norwich in the PL.

It is very simplified to say "Weghorst scores a lot in Germany, hence Ali J would score a lot in the PL".

Ali J is not a bad player but you are overestimating him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Look up Wout Weghorst. He was Jahanbakhsh's teammate at AZ Alkmaar in the 2017/2018 season. That season in the Dutch Eredivisie Weghorst scored 18 goals and had 6 assists as the club's CF. Jahanbakhsh that same season scored 21 goals and had 12 assists as a Right Winger. Following season Jahanbakhsh moved to Brighton to play practically at right full back for Brighton under Hughton and registered no goals or assists in the league while Weghorst signed for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. In his first season Weghorst scored 17 goals and had 7 assists, and in the current season he has 18 goals and 6 assists.

So it's not impractical at all to state Jahanbakhsh could score 10-15 goals in the premier league.. I've watched every single professional match Jahanbakhsh has played starting from his first season in Holland in 2013. I don't think you guys realize the player you've had on your hands that's been wasted at Brighton.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

As an Iranian/persian I assume, I get the love for your star player. But you have a big case of rose tinted glasses. I have seen Ali J first hand in numerous occassions and including playing in his correct position under Potter. I'm sorry to tell you, he is not as good a you think he is and is too often found lacking for what is the most elite level of football he has ever played in. You simply cannot compare the Eredivise to the PL.

Swansman is right, its almost crazy to suggest Ali J in this league will score 15+, Im sure our club and our fans do realise the player we have on our hands, and he's by no means a bad player and he does have the ability to score wonder goals, but he's very inconsistent at the his level, often goes missing and he also often doesnt track back when we are without the ball which is essential.

Ali J so far fits into a similar category of player as Pukki at Norwich, sensational at a level just below the elite PL level but jut not quite good enough to be that good at PL level, you can see in cup games against lower league teams that manifest, and there's no shame in that. Some of the worlds very best players came to the PL and didnt adapt well like Andriy Shevchenko.
Bournemouth goal was good, he smashed it an on that occassion it went in (it often doesnt and seen him hit an opposing player more often that the target) Chelsea really was an amazing goal, but playing in a PL team requires a lot more to your all round game than the odd worldie and he is too often anonymous or ineffective.

The overall balance of the team in both attack and defence is more important than a luxury player who can score the odd wonder goal if he turns up.

Fantastic guy, a real gentleman, every albion fan wants him to succeed, but the fact is he simply hasnt and he has had numeorus chances.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

As an Iranian/persian I assume, I get the love for your star player. But you have a big case of rose tinted glasses. I have seen Ali J first hand in numerous occassions and including playing in his correct position under Potter.

Definitely a bit of this. And fair play, why not.. AJ is a great pro, sportsman and character. Lots to like. He’ll have all our best wishes if he goes.

I’ve seen all of AJs appearances at the Amex. You can definitely see he has very good technique and work ethic. The one thing that did stand out to me actually was his lack of pace. In a frenetic PL game it’s quite noticeable when a player gets the ball and he can’t run very fast with it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he lost a sprint to the likes of Webster, Burn or Veltman.

I think if we had achieved safety sooner, AJ may have got some opportunities this year. Unfortunately we’re not able to be charitable with players. Club has to come first. And it’s not just AJ... Connolly, Alzate, Proper and Zequiri also all have their gripes about getting a chance in the team. We have a very competitive squad now.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
I'm not sure I understand your point or if you're being serious. Potter brings him on when the game is stretched at the end because he'll get more space and time. He doesn't have the power, pace or composure to start regularly.

My point is that he brings AJ ahead of the rest of the bench because he thinks AJ can do better than the rest of the bench players. Ahead of Mac Allister, Connelly, and all our other attacking players. He sees all of them in training everyday and finds AJ most useful to bring in. He brings AJ in when we are behind, when we are ahead, etc. Logic tells me that he is the closest to the starting line up.

He was in the same situation at the beginning of the season and worked himself into the starting line up a couple of times before he got injured. I think he is getting there again.

Basically, my question is why bring someone in that doesn't have the power, pace and composure to start regularly, when he got the rest of the bench. This is not charity!!!

persian_pooya

Jul 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA, USA
As an Iranian/persian I assume, I get the love for your star player. But you have a big case of rose tinted glasses. I have seen Ali J first hand in numerous occassions and including playing in his correct position under Potter. I'm sorry to tell you, he is not as good a you think he is and is too often found lacking for what is the most elite level of football he has ever played in. You simply cannot compare the Eredivise to the PL.

Swansman is right, its almost crazy to suggest Ali J in this league will score 15+, Im sure our club and our fans do realise the player we have on our hands, and he's by no means a bad player and he does have the ability to score wonder goals, but he's very inconsistent at the his level, often goes missing and he also often doesnt track back when we are without the ball which is essential.

Ali J so far fits into a similar category of player as Pukki at Norwich, sensational at a level just below the elite PL level but jut not quite good enough to be that good at PL level, you can see in cup games against lower league teams that manifest, and there's no shame in that. Some of the worlds very best players came to the PL and didnt adapt well like Andriy Shevchenko.
Bournemouth goal was good, he smashed it an on that occassion it went in (it often doesnt and seen him hit an opposing player more often that the target) Chelsea really was an amazing goal, but playing in a PL team requires a lot more to your all round game than the odd worldie and he is too often anonymous or ineffective.

The overall balance of the team in both attack and defence is more important than a luxury player who can score the odd wonder goal if he turns up.

Fantastic guy, a real gentleman, every albion fan wants him to succeed, but the fact is he simply hasnt and he has had numeorus chances.

I suggested he could score 10 to 15 goals in the premier league, not 15 plus. It's also not reasonable to suggest Jahanbakhsh is not good enough for the premier league when he has only gotten 2 starts this season in his position and 3 starts last season. If he was given the opportunity to start 5 to 10 games in a row as a right forward, right winger and did not produce then I could agree with you and say he's not good enough for the EPL, but that's not the case.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My point is that he brings AJ ahead of the rest of the bench because he thinks AJ can do better than the rest of the bench players. Ahead of Mac Allister, Connelly, and all our other attacking players. He sees all of them in training everyday and finds AJ most useful to bring in. He brings AJ in when we are behind, when we are ahead, etc. Logic tells me that he is the closest to the starting line up.

He was in the same situation at the beginning of the season and worked himself into the starting line up a couple of times before he got injured. I think he is getting there again.

Basically, my question is why bring someone in that doesn't have the power, pace and composure to start regularly, when he got the rest of the bench. This is not charity!!!

As I said in my last post, because the game is stretched at that point. Ali J is a very good technical player but he needs time and space. Potter has clearly worked out that he gets it in the last ten minutes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I suggested he could score 10 to 15 goals in the premier league, not 15 plus. It's also not reasonable to suggest Jahanbakhsh is not good enough for the premier league when he has only gotten 2 starts this season in his position and 3 starts last season. If he was given the opportunity to start 5 to 10 games in a row as a right forward, right winger and did not produce then I could agree with you and say he's not good enough for the EPL, but that's not the case.

Well it is really.

Successive managers, who see him every day in training, have both felt he is not good enough.

He is a great professional and I hope is able to find a new club in a league where he’ll thrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
To be fair to Ali J he has started 17 Prem games for us and only cost £17m. The preverbial million pound player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have already amortised away 3/5ths of his fee so £6.8 million is now our break even fee in order to get his wages off the books.

It'll still be a tricky balance to get the break even fee we want vs the wages saved to come out well.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He’s been brilliant in his last couple of cameos so fair play for fighting back into the team.

Big chance for him today, go AJ [emoji119]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here