[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I hope to see Alireza start some games now in place of Maupay. He's on the same wavelength as Trossard and Welbeck and Gross. I'd also like to see Mac Allister getting a chance but I'm not sure who he'd replace other than Gross or Trossard.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Everything he did when he came on was pretty much perfect and contributed to our brilliant game management from the moment we went two up (not something we’ve always done well).

He’s been particularly unlucky to not get more minutes this season, as whenever he gets a chance he tends to make a difference.

I hope he stays, as he’s a great option, but he probably deserves a regular spot somewhere, which I’m sure he also wants.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope to see Alireza start some games now in place of Maupay. He's on the same wavelength as Trossard and Welbeck and Gross. I'd also like to see Mac Allister getting a chance but I'm not sure who he'd replace other than Gross or Trossard.
Yes, either of those two, but could also be used to replace Lallana - maybe from about the hour mark (no later) if Lallana needs to be protected.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I see the revisionism is going on again that he deserved more than he's got. Let's be honest here, yes he's looked half-decent coming on against a couple of teams who are Championship level in the last couple of weeks but let's not gloss over the fact he's been utterly abysmal for the last 18 months bar two goals in two games over a year ago.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Everything he did when he came on was pretty much perfect and contributed to our brilliant game management from the moment we went two up (not something we’ve always done well).

He’s been particularly unlucky to not get more minutes this season, as whenever he gets a chance he tends to make a difference.

I hope he stays, as he’s a great option, but he probably deserves a regular spot somewhere, which I’m sure he also wants.

Ummm....we havnt gone two up that often :moo:

Whilst he did look good in his little cameo....that was a pretty easy last ten minutes

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I see the revisionism is going on again that he deserved more than he's got. Let's be honest here, yes he's looked half-decent coming on against a couple of teams who are Championship level in the last couple of weeks but let's not gloss over the fact he's been utterly abysmal for the last 18 months bar two goals in two games over a year ago.

....and that I think is more the harsh reality (Leeds C level?) ...I’ve nothing against him and don’t make a habit of criticising players but if we are to kick on and the squad evolve, then if it’s not him out the door then who......wonder if he’ll get more of a role in the last few games to help Potter decide or impress potential suitors

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Ummm....we havnt gone two up that often :moo:

Whilst he did look good in his little cameo....that was a pretty easy last ten minutes

Wouldn’t you say the same applies when we’re 1-0 up? How many points have we dropped from winning positions this year?

We managed the ball well in the last ten minutes and Ali J was a big part of that.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Yes, either of those two, but could also be used to replace Lallana - maybe from about the hour mark (no later) if Lallana needs to be protected.

I don't think this will be a popular opinion - but I think we're a lot better without Lallana. I don't know the stats, but I feel like he hasn't been on the winning team very often for us and as good as he unquestionably is, I don't think he improves the team. Arguably, he's the opposite of Sam Baldock. A player who improved the team, despite his individual ability.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw a comment from him or the manager around 6 months ago that he has struggled with recurrent injury problems (twinges and suchlike that just don't go away). I doubt this is entirely responsible for his lack of action but given that he has never had a run in the side, I suspect it has played a role.

I'd rest Maupay and Trossard for a few games and play Ali J and Izzy (if fit).

There again, I know nothing about football management.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wouldn’t you say the same applies when we’re 1-0 up? How many points have we dropped from winning positions this year?

We managed the ball well in the last ten minutes and Ali J was a big part of that.

I’d agree with the one nil bit but your comment seemed to refer to 2 goal leads....I’m sorry but that last ten minutes was so easy and I don’t put that down to AJ as ‘nice’ as he looked....more like a beaten Leeds side (unusual) and us as a team looking relaxed.... ...but hey it’s just a view.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think this will be a popular opinion - but I think we're a lot better without Lallana. I don't know the stats, but I feel like he hasn't been on the winning team very often for us and as good as he unquestionably is, I don't think he improves the team. Arguably, he's the opposite of Sam Baldock. A player who improved the team, despite his individual ability.

Not about popularity. It's simply incorrect. Lallana has been excellent.

You may as well say that since we won yesterday and Lamptey wan't playing, we are better off without Lamptey :shrug:

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
I’d agree with the one nil bit but your comment seemed to refer to 2 goal leads....I’m sorry but that last ten minutes was so easy and I don’t put that down to AJ as ‘nice’ as he looked....more like a beaten Leeds side (unusual) and us as a team looking relaxed.... ...but hey it’s just a view.

Certainly not a one man effort, but I thought he contributed well to a period that we’ve conceded goals and been under pressure in previously, which was a refreshing change (yes, being two up helped).

As with your post, just my view. I thought he did well again when he came on.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
He does offer something different, if by different you mean, being erratic, frequent lapses in concentration and poor decisions.
Harsh but on the plus side he also does do something different to anyone else, has more flair and occasionally score a worldie.
Overall, I think we can do better.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Certainly not a one man effort, but I thought he contributed well to a period that we’ve conceded goals and been under pressure in previously, which was a refreshing change (yes, being two up helped).

As with your post, just my view. I thought he did well again when he came on.

I agree he did well in his cameos.

But is that worth the £35m (or whatever the cost was worked out the other day) he has cost us over the time he's been here.

A very very expensive 'cameo sub' player to have on the books.
Clearly not good enough in training to start otherwise GPott would have him starting.

Saying that, seems a really nice guy and wants to do well, just his ability seems to be lacking. An expensive luxury.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The bottom line is he has 2 years on his contract.
Unless someone is prepared to match his wages, he will be on our books for two more seasons.

Here's hoping he improves his overall performance over that time.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A very very expensive 'cameo sub' player to have on the books.

No, someone like Saïd Benrahma is a very very expensive ‘cameo sub’ in the Premier League.

Ali was a right sided free scoring forward (who played in the Salah position) signed as a winger for Hughton and then inherited by a manager who does not fancy wingers or full backs. His attitude is exemplary and his finishing is too class. He may lack some of the other qualities Potter needs but was signed for a different system.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He has only started twice for us this season, and 3 last, most of his sub appearances have been for a few minutes at the end of games. I am not arguing with Potters decision to not use him much, but I could not judge his standard personally from the tiny amount we have seen of him in the last 18 months.
2 goals in the number of minutes of football he has played in the last 2 seasons, probably doesn't compare badly with anyone else in the squad, and if we generally were not so poor at finishing he would have a decent number of assists.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No, someone like Saïd Benrahma is a very very expensive ‘cameo sub’ in the Premier League.

Ali was a right sided free scoring forward (who played in the Salah position) signed as a winger for Hughton and then inherited by a manager who does not fancy wingers or full backs. His attitude is exemplary and his finishing is too class. He may lack some of the other qualities Potter needs but was signed for a different system.

Well I think £35m is very expensive. If you don't, well we have different values on money.

It does not matter why he was signed, it even backs up my point, imo he is a very expensive cameo sub to have

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well I think £35m is very expensive. If you don't, well we have different values on money.

It does not matter why he was signed, it even backs up my point, imo he is a very expensive cameo sub to have

In comparison to the other luxury players that have been/are on other Premier league team's books. He is a snip.

Premier League players earn too much and cost too much to buy.
In other news the Pope is Catholic and bears preferred toileting area, is generally in the woods.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports