Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
The bottom line is he has 2 years on his contract.
Unless someone is prepared to match his wages, he will be on our books for two more seasons.

Here's hoping he improves his overall performance over that time.

If we can’t sell him then a season long loan next season with some club picking up part of his wages, sorry but not Prem standard

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if my memory is playing tricks, but I seem to remember that we tried to buy him before we actually did, but he didn't want to come to Brighton. Given Hughton's renowned reluctance to play new players until they'd done n hours of training with him and the team, I'm surprised to see that he actually got 19 League appearances in his only season under Hughton - I guess most of them would have been as a substitute.
If he'd come a year earlier, he might have worked his way into Hughton's reckoning as a regular first team starter by the 2018-19 season and history may have been different for him, and possibly even for Hughton too - I wonder if he didn't do himself any favours by holding out before transferring to us?

Disclaimer: if I've dreamed all this up, please forgive me - and only one of you needs to tell me!

persian_pooya

Jul 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA, USA
I respect Brighton as a club and wish for Brighton's success, but I dislike Potter for not giving Jahanbakhsh enough game time and crushing his confidence. Last season when Jahanbakhsh put in a string of good performances starting with that bicycle against Chelsea instead of being rewarded with more starts he was rewarded with sitting on the bench and even being dropped from the squad.

Jahanbakhsh needs to be given starts game after game as a right winger/ right forward for you all to see why Hughton paid so much for him. Issue with Hughton was he played Jahanbakhsh as RM in a defensive structure so Jahanbakhsh was not getting the ball in advanced positions enough. Then Potter played him in the correct position but never gave him enough minutes.
Start Jahanbakhsh 5 games in a row at RW, and if after 5 games you aren't happy with his performance and say he's shite then fine, but he never got this opportunity. I hope Potter at least starts him last 3 games to give the man an opportunity to find some suitors.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I respect Brighton as a club and wish for Brighton's success, but I dislike Potter for not giving Jahanbakhsh enough game time and crushing his confidence. Last season when Jahanbakhsh put in a string of good performances starting with that bicycle against Chelsea instead of being rewarded with more starts he was rewarded with sitting on the bench and even being dropped from the squad.

Jahanbakhsh needs to be given starts game after game as a right winger/ right forward for you all to see why Hughton paid so much for him. Issue with Hughton was he played Jahanbakhsh as RM in a defensive structure so Jahanbakhsh was not getting the ball in advanced positions enough. Then Potter played him in the correct position but never gave him enough minutes.
Start Jahanbakhsh 5 games in a row at RW, and if after 5 games you aren't happy with his performance and say he's shite then fine, but he never got this opportunity. I hope Potter at least starts him last 3 games to give the man an opportunity to find some suitors.

What happens if he performs extremely poorly during these games and or in training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if my memory is playing tricks, but I seem to remember that we tried to buy him before we actually did, but he didn't want to come to Brighton. Given Hughton's renowned reluctance to play new players until they'd done n hours of training with him and the team, I'm surprised to see that he actually got 19 League appearances in his only season under Hughton - I guess most of them would have been as a substitute.
If he'd come a year earlier, he might have worked his way into Hughton's reckoning as a regular first team starter by the 2018-19 season and history may have been different for him, and possibly even for Hughton too - I wonder if he didn't do himself any favours by holding out before transferring to us?

Disclaimer: if I've dreamed all this up, please forgive me - and only one of you needs to tell me!
No, you're absolutely right we tried to get him for a couple of years before we did. I linked to the article when we got him, probably somewhere in this thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
No, you're absolutely right we tried to get him for a couple of years before we did. I linked to the article when we got him, probably somewhere in this thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

My memory of this is slightly different
I have not re read said article tbf
As I recall it he rebuffed us as he didn’t feel ready for the challenge
At that point in his career But the persistence of the recruitment team convinced him in the end

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

If the recruitment team had made it a three year deal they would have pulled off a relative master-stroke.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Can't afford to take that risk unfortunately. Potter sees him day in, day out in training. I imagine he's come to the conclusion that Ali needs too much time on the ball and too much space to start in a Premier League XI. After all, anyone who's watched him play has.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

I totally agree with you that it was baffling why AJ was dropped, just after it looked like he turned a corner with goals vs Bournemouth and Chelsea. I don’t understand what happened there and I said so at the time, I was dismayed for the guy.

However. He has had chances this season, and aside from a couple of recent cameos, where in fairness he put in some brilliant crosses, he has been largely anonymous.

Unfortunately we can’t do favours for anyone, especially the past few months where the safety of our entire club was in the balance not to mention the managers job. AJ’s not the only one fallen out of favour, Connolly, Alzate and Proper have also had very fleeting moments in the second half of this season. We have a ton of talent coming through so hopefully AJ finds a new club, he’s undoubtedly a great guy, character and professional. He deserves first team football.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He lacks the ability or the will to do the defensive side of things that Potter demands.

It was noticeable against Sheff United, despite his impressive attacking cameo, he repeatedly failed to track back. Something our regular front three do very well.

persian_pooya

Jul 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA, USA
Can't afford to take that risk unfortunately. Potter sees him day in, day out in training. I imagine he's come to the conclusion that Ali needs too much time on the ball and too much space to start in a Premier League XI. After all, anyone who's watched him play has.

I totally agree with you that it was baffling why AJ was dropped, just after it looked like he turned a corner with goals vs Bournemouth and Chelsea. I don’t understand what happened there and I said so at the time, I was dismayed for the guy.

However. He has had chances this season, and aside from a couple of recent cameos, where in fairness he put in some brilliant crosses, he has been largely anonymous.

Unfortunately we can’t do favours for anyone, especially the past few months where the safety of our entire club was in the balance not to mention the managers job. AJ’s not the only one fallen out of favour, Connolly, Alzate and Proper have also had very fleeting moments in the second half of this season. We have a ton of talent coming through so hopefully AJ finds a new club, he’s undoubtedly a great guy, character and professional. He deserves first team football.

The risk factor is a valid point, however doesn't change the fact that he should have continued getting minutes after performing well against Chelsea and Bournemouth. If only Potter had awarded him a string of starts after those performances it could have changed Jahanbakhsh's fate at Brighton entirely. I just don't think Potter has done a good job managing him and getting the most out of him. Jahanbakhsh could easily rack up 10/15 goals a season in the premier league if managed correctly and given the opportunity. Unfortunately for all of us this has not happened and it really disheartens me. I don't think Potter has ruled out a starting spot for Jahanbakhsh in the team and it could have happened this season if it weren't for his untimely injury, but I give it a 50/50 shot at best he could break into the 11 next season if he stays. But at 27 going in 28 I don't think he should take that risk, if I were Jahanbakhsh I would try to get loaned out this summer back to a top team in Holland or a team in the Bundesliga at all costs to get my career back on track. Best case scenario however would be if he was given the opportunity to start the last three games of the season (if by then Brighton are safe from relegation) and making enough of an impact to convince Potter enough to consider him a first team player going into next season, and if not then getting loaned out to save Brighton money and allow the lad to play football

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The risk factor is a valid point, however doesn't change the fact that he should have continued getting minutes after performing well against Chelsea and Bournemouth. If only Potter had awarded him a string of starts after those performances it could have changed Jahanbakhsh's fate at Brighton entirely. I just don't think Potter has done a good job managing him and getting the most out of him. Jahanbakhsh could easily rack up 10/15 goals a season in the premier league if managed correctly and given the opportunity. Unfortunately for all of us this has not happened and it really disheartens me. I don't think Potter has ruled out a starting spot for Jahanbakhsh in the team and it could have happened this season if it weren't for his untimely injury, but I give it a 50/50 shot at best he could break into the 11 next season if he stays. But at 27 going in 28 I don't think he should take that risk, if I were Jahanbakhsh I would try to get loaned out this summer back to a top team in Holland or a team in the Bundesliga at all costs to get my career back on track. Best case scenario however would be if he was given the opportunity to start the last three games of the season (if by then Brighton are safe from relegation) and making enough of an impact to convince Potter enough to consider him a first team player going into next season, and if not then getting loaned out to save Brighton money and allow the lad to play football

Oh yeah he would easily be top 5 in the top scorer list...

persian_pooya

Jul 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA, USA
Oh yeah he would easily be top 5 in the top scorer list...
Look up Wout Weghorst. He was Jahanbakhsh's teammate at AZ Alkmaar in the 2017/2018 season. That season in the Dutch Eredivisie Weghorst scored 18 goals and had 6 assists as the club's CF. Jahanbakhsh that same season scored 21 goals and had 12 assists as a Right Winger. Following season Jahanbakhsh moved to Brighton to play practically at right full back for Brighton under Hughton and registered no goals or assists in the league while Weghorst signed for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. In his first season Weghorst scored 17 goals and had 7 assists, and in the current season he has 18 goals and 6 assists.

So it's not impractical at all to state Jahanbakhsh could score 10-15 goals in the premier league.. I've watched every single professional match Jahanbakhsh has played starting from his first season in Holland in 2013. I don't think you guys realize the player you've had on your hands that's been wasted at Brighton.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019

I disagree with you entirely. Potter is not stupid to use someone that needs too much time on the ball and too much space as his first and most frequent substitute. Potter sees AJ everyday at training and that is precisely why he think of AJ as our first substitute.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

Amazing English! It’s a pleasure to have you on the forum.

I rate AJ highly. He does need game time. Positionally he doesn’t quite understand where he should be.

His attitude and positivity is really great to see. But he’s not showing a threat when he comes on. Having said that, he was very good against Leeds.

We should extend his contract as he’s learning all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Look up Wout Weghorst. He was Jahanbakhsh's teammate at AZ Alkmaar in the 2017/2018 season. That season in the Dutch Eredivisie Weghorst scored 18 goals and had 6 assists as the club's CF. Jahanbakhsh that same season scored 21 goals and had 12 assists as a Right Winger. Following season Jahanbakhsh moved to Brighton to play practically at right full back for Brighton under Hughton and registered no goals or assists in the league while Weghorst signed for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. In his first season Weghorst scored 17 goals and had 7 assists, and in the current season he has 18 goals and 6 assists.

So it's not impractical at all to state Jahanbakhsh could score 10-15 goals in the premier league.. I've watched every single professional match Jahanbakhsh has played starting from his first season in Holland in 2013. I don't think you guys realize the player you've had on your hands that's been wasted at Brighton.

It's a bit simple to say 'this player went from Holland to the Bundesliga and scored goals, so Ali could score goals in the PL'. We could give you a long list of names who scored goals in other countries but did not in the PL, let alone 15 goals!

persian_pooya

Jul 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA, USA
It's a bit simple to say 'this player went from Holland to the Bundesliga and scored goals, so Ali could score goals in the PL'. We could give you a long list of names who scored goals in other countries but did not in the PL, let alone 15 goals!
His old teammate which was inferior to him in every stat in Holland is banging them in against the likes of Bayern Munich and Dortmund and the team which he is a starter for currently sits in third in the Bundesliga. It's not irrational to say that Jahanbakhsh has not performed in England due to being mismanaged.

I watched every single of Jahanbakhsh's matches and in that particular 2017/2018 season in Holland Weghorst was in Jahanbakhsh's shadow every single match. I really do feel the majority of Brighton fans truly don't realize the potential Jahanbakhsh has due to how poorly he's been managed at Brighton.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here