Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You have been one of Ali's most vocal critics. What's your current opinion?

I am guessing something along the lines of “two swallows do not a summer make” :wink:

Personally I think that Ali J will struggle to maintain a standard this high and hope that when he has a poor game the haters don’t leap straight back in with a flailing boot!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fantastic goal what was even better was the pictures of the youngsters faces after it went in that I’ve seen on tv . That’s priceless and will keep them Albion fans for years . Probably all there mates talking about how city Liverpool etc has players that can do this and that , well watch that again and look at their faces great pics excellent goal .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn’t just the youngsters with their hands on their heads staring in wide-eyed disbelief [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Luckily it wasn’t of ESL at that time.

Really not that bad.....

a130fa3f445db606830abb942bd1b0d0.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am guessing something along the lines of “two swallows do not a summer make” :wink:

Personally I think that Ali J will struggle to maintain a standard this high and hope that when he has a poor game the haters don’t leap straight back in with a flailing boot!

I think we've now seen a glimpse of the very best player he can be.
If his last 2 performances were level par, then we'd have seen considerably more of him over the first half of the season.

I'm pretty sure the flailing boots will be back, inexplicably there appears to be some hurt swirling around Ali at the moment, with some posters reaching for anything just so long as it isn't writing 'thank god I was so wrong'.

As said earlier at least now if/when that debate appears it won't be centered around "not even a footballer".

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I tip my hat to all the people that stood by him and thought there was something there.
Of course there is, there always has been, and sometimes you have to trust your brain more than your eyes.
The one thing we all kept repeating is that Alireza has consistently had poor first seasons and then dramatically improves in year 2.

The challenge with BHA, which I am learning about since we don't have many players who come to EPL, is that teams and fans in the EPL don't have much patience. I don't say this out of meanness but simply my own observations. Iranian players have gone to excellent teams in the past all over Europe, including Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1. There is something about the competitiveness of the EPL which means that teams expect immediate results. Some players thrive in that and some don't.

Now that things are settling down, I really do hope Alireza stays and plays, (1) because I have fallen in love with BHA and (2) because I think he'll do great.
But I hope this is at least a bit of caution to everyone on here to give the players a bit more of a chance. That includes every player. I have been a part of many forums and feel that the members on here really turn on the players very quickly. Heck, even sometimes the team itself. I can't tell if this is just the fan culture, if it is just the way people deal with their frustrations, or what. And just as quickly, they will skyrocket out of happiness and put a player on way too high of a pedestal. Anyways, just my 2 pence, not saying out of meanness but just observations, and hope that we continue this excellent form in what looks like is going to be a tough season to stay up for many teams, everyone's getting points.

Will never happen.

But to his advantage,I think the fans actually like him in many cases rather than rate him. Naturally, that helps when you score a worldy.

Throughout, he hasn’t gone to the press (that I can recall), and started bleating or come here saying we’re a stepping stone to something else. Just kept plugging away.

Good luck to him.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will never happen.

But to his advantage,I think the fans actually like him in many cases rather than rate him. Naturally, that helps when you score a worldy.

Throughout, he hasn’t gone to the press (that I can recall), and started bleating or come here saying we’re a stepping stone to something else. Just kept plugging away.

Good luck to him.....

It seems like in some of the doubters eyes he's been miraculously transformed into a human being, which is nice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Now scored as many League goals as Trossard & Connolly.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Excellent goal,don't think I have seen an Albion Prem goal on the ITV News at 6 before.I would still rather swap him for Andone if he has learned how to behave.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Will never happen.

Good luck to him.....

Most of the fans (a few more of the remaining haters probably switched sides yesterday), the rest of the squad and most importantly Potter.........

What’s coming across from all quarters is that he’s popular, humble, honest, hard-working and patient. He’s always looked technically decent but not surprising he lacked any confidence at all. Clearly that’s changed now as well. Could easily be a revelation in the second half of the season based on the last week’s work. Fingers crossed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Now scored as many League goals as Trossard & Connolly.

I’m writing his performances from last season off, just I have with other members of the squad who I thought were sometimes poor such as Pröpper and Montoya.

It’s all about his stats playing Potterball for me now. Having a player who can actually score (hopefully regularly) is a massive bonus for us. No more wing back for him!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It seems like in some of the doubters eyes he's been miraculously transformed into a human being, which is nice.

Yes, and as a number have said especially [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] particularly he is okay.

I always felt he had great touch and ability, but no pace. That hasn’t changed, just having some luck, which is great, because he is more confident and it all helps.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Most of the fans (a few more of the remaining haters probably switched sides yesterday), the rest of the squad and most importantly Potter.........

What’s coming across from all quarters is that he’s popular, humble, honest, hard-working and patient. He’s always looked technically decent but not surprising he lacked any confidence at all. Clearly that’s changed now as well. Could easily be a revelation in the second half of the season based on the last week’s work. Fingers crossed.

Absolutely - confidence is key....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, and as a number have said especially [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] particularly he is okay.

I always felt he had great touch and ability, but no pace. That hasn’t changed, just having some luck, which is great, because he is more confident and it all helps.

Yet he still has more pace than Mooy and Gross.

Lack of pace isn't a problem in this current set up, esp as he's not a winger.

I thought if he got a run in the team his next level of pelters from those that just want him to be a success would come from not beating the full back and crossing from the by-line.

Thankfully it would seem I was wrong about that as his crossing from in front of the full back has been Grossesque.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I thought if he got a run in the team his next level of pelters from those that just want him to success would come from not beating the full back and crossing from the by-line.

Thankfully it would seem I was wrong about that as his crossing from in front of the full back has been Grossesque.

When he’s wide he’s more Beckham-esque rather than Pascal[emoji6][emoji2]

Not sure he’s faster than Mooy. [emoji6]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I thought if he got a run in the team his next level of pelters from those that just want him to success would come from not beating the full back and crossing from the by-line.

Well, he is sort of a winger isn't he, (in that his doesn't play in the middle of his pitch and a key part of his role will be crossing for Maupay etc) so having the ability to go round sometime to get a cross in would be a useful thing to have in his locker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here