Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Andy Naylor reporting that no transfer interest in Ali J, and possibly some Championship loan interest but he doesn't want to drop down to that level.

Stuck with him for the foreseeable then :ffsparr:

Paul Winstanley that for every Ali J we have an Alex Mac I guess..

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Andy Naylor reporting that no transfer interest in Ali J, and possibly some Championship loan interest but he doesn't want to drop down to that level.

Can’t see an injured player being attractive. He’ll have a role in our cup run should he be fit for Leicester one would assume.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can’t see an injured player being attractive. He’ll have a role in our cup run should he be fit for Leicester one would assume.

What injury does he have? How bad is it? If it is only minor it wouldn't / shouldn't prevent a move

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
No loan interest in Europe? That's a bit telling isn't it?
His mate is at Brentford so it wouldn't be that much of hit to his pride if he spent half a season down there.

It would be so nice to see him doing really well somewhere for a few months.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Bit harsh on the recruitment team there. We've only had 2 really disappointing transfers in our 4 years in the PL: Ali J and Locadia. I reckon that most of the other players that we've paid a fee would have increased in value.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

What level do you think he would be comfortable dropping down to? League 1 or 2?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bit harsh on the recruitment team there. We've only had 2 really disappointing transfers in our 4 years in the PL: Ali J and Locadia. I reckon that most of the other players that we've paid a fee would have increased in value.

Schelotto
Suttner
Balogun
Montoya
Bernardo
Mooy

Haven't really been a roaring success

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can understand the hit to his pride, given how he is seen in Iran it seems, and his prior success in Holland.

However, he needs regular game time. He should absolutely drop down to the Championship, get game time and rebuild his confidence.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I can understand the hit to his pride, given how he is seen in Iran it seems, and his prior success in Holland.

However, he needs regular game time. He should absolutely drop down to the Championship, get game time and rebuild his confidence.

His level is championship and a mediocre one at that - definitely no higher

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Schelotto
Suttner
Balogun
Montoya
Bernardo
Mooy

All of them played a part in our Premier League success story. I have no complaints. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm glad Ali J is staying, at least till the end of the season. He's scored goals that have earned points and and I have a feeling he will again, before the season is out.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Schelotto
Suttner
Balogun
Montoya
Bernardo
Mooy

I've been thinking of the players we've signed for big fees. The ones you mentioned haven't been amazing, but certainly not a waste of 15-16m in transfer fees like the aforementioned:

Suttner wasn't great but we paid something like 3.5m, so not a huge loss in today's PL market.
Balogun was a free transfer and did a job as a back up for 2 years, so no complaints.
Montoya was first choice right back for 2 seasons, so again no complaints.
Bernado has been a disappointment for 8m.
According to Naylor we a profit on Mooy's transfer.

Jimmy Grimble

Schelotto
Suttner
Balogun
Montoya
Bernardo
Mooy

You’ll be hard pressed to find an Albion fan disappointed with Balogun’s contribution to the club.

It wasn’t exactly a big contribution in terms of length of service but he contributed to a very big moment and win.

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
Schelotto
Suttner
Balogun
Montoya
Bernardo
Mooy

Suttner, Balogun, and Schelotto together only cost £7m, and were good backup options. Montoya played 52 league games with us. Mooy was sold for a profit.

Bernardo was not that good though...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've been thinking of the players we've signed for big fees. The ones you mentioned haven't been amazing, but certainly not a waste of 15-16m in transfer fees like the aforementioned:

Suttner wasn't great but we paid something like 3.5m, so not a huge loss in today's PL market.
Balogun was a free transfer and did a job as a back up for 2 years, so no complaints.
Montoya was first choice right back for 2 seasons, so again no complaints.
Bernado has been a disappointment for 8m.
According to Naylor we a profit on Mooy's transfer.

although played well against citeh......???

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I guess the fact that we can't get rid of Ali shouldn't be too much of a surprise given the rumours that we offered him to pretty much every club in Holland over the summer. He claims he didn't move because he was wanted here but I'm guessing that might not be 100% accurate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here