Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he is CMS all over again.

Decent player IF you play to his strengths.

Our system under CH didn’t as he relied on wide players doing a lot of defending and it doesn’t suit him under GP either because he doesn’t play wide players that often.

Maybe, but CMS had plenty of game time....

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Can't believe this thread is 5 years old! He hasn't really done much has he? Move him on...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, but it is not up for discussion over whether we play with wingers or not is it? We either do or don't :shrug:

I think that misunderstands both nuance and how Potter operates.

We swap formations both between games and during games. Both Lamptey and March have been used as wingers at times but mostly operated as wing backs or full backs as we tend to play narrowly further forward to start off with. Trossard has had a free role at times, alternating between a conventional forward, ACM and winger in the same game. If and when Izquierdo finally gets fit there is no chance he'll be deployed narrowly. Potter has plan a, b and c , it's why he's great to watch if you appreciate tactics.

My original post was about Ali J playing "where he should be" according to [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] and [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] when he had his golden moments against Bournemouth and Chelsea. And when he'd played at Alkmaar that was either right wing (but in the attacking sense, not the CH tracking back right midfield role) or as a RF.

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...bish-or-has-be-just-been-misused-by-brighton/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly. To think of some of our players as "wingers" is incorrect. They are more utility attacking wide players who need to adapt to play several different roles. This is what annoys me about people slagging certain players off for being "bad wingers" when a lot of the time their job is not as a winger.

Totally agree with that and apologies for slghtly misreading the intentions of your post. Spot on :thumbsup:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

I actually have some legit AJ news!

Please can the Argus give credit to NSC if they use this as a story too (yes. I know you have taken from my post before).

AJ took part in an Iranian fans chat and talked a fair bit about Brighton and his future.

The upshot is.. he wants to see out his contract, stay and fight, though does admit there is interest from elsewhere. He remarked that he had a similar struggle in Holland at first. He is happy for the club staying up again and how we’ve finished the season.

The second is, he gave a slightly subtle dig against Hughton (if I had joined the Brighton of this season I would have had different results).

I’m delighted to hear his attitude, the lad wants to play and he’s prepared to fight his way back into the team. You have to respect that.

The winger, who celebrated his 27th birthday some days ago, held a live video interview with an Iran-based TV program on Thursday night, talking about various issues.

“It was important for our team to remain in the Premier League and gain a good rank and we achieved these aims,” he said.

There have been numerous reports and speculations about Jahanbakhsh’s next team but he says all of his focus is on Brighton.

“I have said I am Brighton’s player and have contract with the team for the next three years. All my focus and thoughts are currently on Brighton
and I want to return to training with power and get ready for the next season that will kick off in September.”

“The important issue is that I have always sought to fight and change the conditions.”

Talking about the tough conditions that he faced in England, he said that there was high pressure and expectations on him, as he was the most expensive player of Brighton. “I didn’t let these issues affect me.”
Alireza scored one of the best goals of this season in front of Chelsea with a stunning bicycle kick on January 1, 2020. Many believed that the goal would won the 2019/20 Budweiser Goal of the Season award but the prize went to Tottenham Hotspur winger Son Heung-min.

“Two weeks ago, it was announced that my goal has been selected as Brighton’s goal of the season and I assumed that it would also win the League’s best goal award,” said Jahanbakhsh, adding that he had even prepared his speech for the award ceremony in which he would praise the Son’s great goal.

“I should once again highlight that Son’s goal was so good,” he added, referring to incredible individual effort of the South Korean winger against Burnley when he picked the ball up on the edge of his own penalty area, surged away from a few Burnley players and skipped past two challenges before slotting beyond Nick Pope.

Elsewhere, asked about Brighton’s coach decision to not give him enough chance to play for the team, Jahanbahsh said he ‘respects’ the coach’s opinions. “I had meetings with the coach that was not so kindly but these issues are part of the professional football; I am trying to do my best.”
“If I had gone back and conditions were the same, I would have again chosen Brighton but with introducing changes in some issues,” Jahanbaksh said.
“I didn’t experience a good season in the first year at AZ Alkmaar but my conditions improved in next seasons. If I had played for the Brighton this season, I would have achieved better results,” he added.

Jahanbakhsh also confirmed that he has some teams in the Netherlands and a team in Germany are ‘serious’ about signing a contract with him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I actually have some legit AJ news!

Please can the Argus give credit to NSC if they use this as a story too (yes. I know you have taken from my post before).

AJ took part in an Iranian fans chat and talked a fair bit about Brighton and his future.

The upshot is.. he wants to see out his contract, stay and fight, though does admit there is interest. He remarked that he had a similar struggle in Holland at first. He is really happy for the club staying up again and how well we’ve performed.

The second is, he gave a slightly subtle dig against Hughton (if I had joined the Brighton of this season I would have had different results).

I’m delighted to hear his attitude, the lad wants to play and he’s prepared to fight his way back into the team. You have to respect that.
Pretty certain Ali is staying now, and it'll be other players which will be moved on.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Pretty certain Ali is staying now, and it'll be other players which will be moved on.

Really ?

What about the line
“ Jahanbakhsh also confirmed that he has some teams in the Netherlands and a team in Germany are ‘serious’ about signing a contract with him.”

Seems to me it’s far from certain he’s staying, just I’ve covered all bases set of replies by a model professional as AJ is...

Absolutely nothing concrete either way.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We have to get rid. He just isn't good enough.

He is a very good player. The issue is he’s not suited to the premier league. It’s too fast, and too physical.
I’ve no doubt if he moves on, he will do well and we will he left scratching our heads.
Unlike, say, Locadia, who will never amount to much.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really ?

What about the line
“ Jahanbakhsh also confirmed that he has some teams in the Netherlands and a team in Germany are ‘serious’ about signing a contract with him.”

Seems to me it’s far from certain he’s staying, just I’ve covered all bases set of replies by a model professional as AJ is...

Absolutely nothing concrete either way.

It says to me 'clubs x, y & z, can't/won't get close to my wages, I could have ended up in much much worse places'.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
It feels like we haven’t been able to unlock the code, if we did, I believe we would have a top class player on our hands, it goes without saying he is a top class bloke. Would love for him to establish himself in the team.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It feels like we haven’t been able to unlock the code, if we did, I believe we would have a top class player on our hands, it goes without saying he is a top class bloke. Would love for him to establish himself in the team.

Had a few appearances and blew Marches record out the window, don’t understand why he hardly plays.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
But that's the key issue isn't it... is he in GP's plans?

Didn’t look like it post lockdown.

I’m a big fan of his but have accepted that he is on his way out because of his lack making the squad recently.

His value to us now is his PX potential in helping us get our hands on a top player. Whether we use him to get Neres or Tagliafico from Ajax or someone like Wout Weghorst from Wolfsburg, it should reduce our outlay by at least €10m.

As has been said, he ticks the box for amazing attitude and is good enough to be the top scorer in the Eredivisie playing for an unfashionable side. Plenty of Dutch & German clubs might loosen their grip on their top assets with this fella dangling in front of them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We have to get rid. He just isn't good enough.

Strongly disagree with this statement, he simply does not fit into our style at the moment.
I really, really hope we can utilise him more this season, because there is a very good player with bags of untapped potential at present.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Strongly disagree with this statement, he simply does not fit into our style at the moment.
I really, really hope we can utilise him more this season, because there is a very good player with bags of untapped potential at present.
This, and I think that’s why he will stick around as he knows GP won’t make him defend for 90 minutes. GP said his best position is further up the pitch let’s hope we play him there as the lad has goals in him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here