Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm not sure its such a mystery .

He's shown very little in most of his performances with a large number of them being especially poor. I can only assume he doesn't show the quality needed in training either .

Bottom line is , I don't think its a mystery. He just isnt good enough for the prem.

Wish him well if he goes , probably best outcome for all parties.

Oh really? When did AJ last start then?

He looked pretty good against Bournemouth and Chelsea. And since, then, a very rare cameo in the last 5 mins.

He may or may not be good enough, but he has barely been given a chance in games in the team this season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
At the end of the day it doesn't matter if he's a wonderful player who has been cruelly treated by two managers and let down by his fellow players, or if as others suggest he's just not quite up to the PL - the fact remains that his two years here have not been a success. The best thing now must be for us to try to move him on and recoup as much as we can from the money we spent on him; also the best thing for him must be to move somewhere else too.

This is the bottom line, whichever side you fall on, he has to move on now. For the good of his career as well. Hopefully one day Potter will do an auto biography and we’ll find out the real reasons.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Oh really? When did AJ last start then?

He looked pretty good against Bournemouth and Chelsea. And since, then, a very rare cameo in the last 5 mins.

He may or may not be good enough, but he has barely been given a chance in games in the team this season.

Not just about that though , Potter prob has watched every single minute he's played for us and see's him for hundreds of hours on the training pitch.

Good enough for me

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Hughton and now Potter see him in training every day , as do the coaching staff .

After two seasons and two managers, one defensive minded, one more akin to open play he still hasn’t impressed .

Nice lad , but this ones on the recruitment team .

Let’s be honest , he was shithouse under Hughton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Every day in training Alireza had the chance to show he was worth his place in the team, I don't buy that he wasn't given chances

Sometimes you get a manager who unfairly doesn't fancy a particular player, but firstly Chris and Graham aren't the closed minded types and secondly, they both reached the same conclusion.

I don't see the point for blame here. The player has worked hard, is clearly a good bloke but can't get past the competition. The manager's have to do what they feel it takes to put points on the board. The recruitment team, given the evidence in front of them and without hindsight, were probably right to recommend the player.

For that position, he's now behind, Lallana, Mooy, Gross and possibly Lamptey. That's if we're playing wingers at all. GP seems to like playing Maupay and Connolly and one central player in behind.

It just hasn't worked. No need to go on about it. He moves on, let's try and recoup some of our losses.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not just about that though , Potter prob has watched every single minute he's played for us and see's him for hundreds of hours on the training pitch.

Good enough for me

Oh, agreed, I’ve said as much that this has to be training or tactical reasons.. but I’m picking you up on this:

He's shown very little in most of his performances with a large number of them being especially poor.

Definitely not the case this season as he didn’t play when Potter started, then started against Bournemouth and Chelsea, scoring in each.. one of which the best goal we’ve ever scored in the Premier League. Then barely featured again.

I 100% trust Potter so support his decision either way.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I know exactly what he means though. Ali J has not been given the number of chances that others have (and not been very good either) and some of us find that really disappointing. Wanting him to score a hatrick against us may be a bit strong but I’d come away nodding wisely if he did :lolol:

Not that Ali J carries the same level of affection, but along the same lines Barry Lloyd got rid of Garry Nelson in 1991. The next season we played Charlton away at Upton Park. Nelson scored in the first few minutes, and though we were deep in relegation trouble, I almost felt like celebrating. Nelson ran straight to the Albion bench and celebrated in front of Lloyd. At the end of the game, he clapped the Albion fans for longer than he did his own fans.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Unfortunately, we've had one manager who hated attacking players and then his replacement hates wingers. Talk about bad luck.

Potter is only interested in playing players out of position, so even if Jahanbakhsh were given the run in the side he deserved after scoring against Bournemouth and Chelsea, he probably would have been thrown in randomly at right back or left wing back.

He's the most mismanaged player we've ever hard.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Potter is only interested in playing players out of position, so even if Jahanbakhsh were given the run in the side he deserved after scoring against Bournemouth and Chelsea, he probably would have been thrown in randomly at right back or left wing back.

Good afternoon Mr Hughton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not that Ali J carries the same level of affection, but along the same lines Barry Lloyd got rid of Garry Nelson in 1991. The next season we played Charlton away at Upton Park. Nelson scored in the first few minutes, and though we were deep in relegation trouble, I almost felt like celebrating. Nelson ran straight to the Albion bench and celebrated in front of Lloyd. At the end of the game, he clapped the Albion fans for longer than he did his own fans.

Didn’t Lloyd drop Nelson from the playoff final squad or team, for reasons best known to himself?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately, we've had one manager who hated attacking players and then his replacement hates wingers. Talk about bad luck.

And yet if you scroll back in this thread to where Ali J did score those goals, everyone insisted it was because ihe WAS in the right position for a change :facepalm:

Still, I think putting Dunk in goal and Ryan on the wing has paid dividends this season for their relative height alone. Maupay, 10 goals from CDM. And who would have thought Dave Propper was a good old fashioned number 9? :moo:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
And yet if you scroll back in this thread to where Ali J did score those goals, everyone insisted it was because ihe WAS in the right position for a change :facepalm:

Still, I think putting Dunk in goal and Ryan on the wing has paid dividends this season for their relative height alone. Maupay, 10 goals from CDM. And who would have thought Dave Propper was a good old fashioned number 9? :moo:

Might at least be entertaining in a friendly

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009

Joke comments - the guy is simply not good enough even if he tries hard and appears to be a nice guy

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think he's good enough, he showed disciplined agression/ against Man City /Walker last season . . . he's quick and can cross, and has a shot on him. I just don't understand the situation, but in reality I/we don't know half the story.

Ashley Barnes, Oliver Norwood, and others didn't 'fit' either. must be a personality thing.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Didn’t Lloyd drop Nelson from the playoff final squad or team, for reasons best known to himself?

I don't remember; I think he'd had some kind of fall out with Nelson, which was daft, as he'd gone from being main striker in previous seasons to being a very effective left winger (which was his best position despite his amazing 1987-88 season), putting in very decent crosses for John Byrne and Mike Small. I can remember walking back to Wembley Central in despair, thinking we would be relegated the following season, and I wasn't wrong. Lloyd also got rid of Steve Gatting, who had found his best position at left back, Mike Small refused a new contract, and the following season Byrne was sold to balance the books. We never really recovered. We all know what happened with Archer, Bellotti and Stanley, but the rot had really started to set in earlier - I think the club was easy pickings. Byrne was supposedly sold at the banks' insistence and the following season I can remember contributing to a "Save our Seagulls" campaign.

How things have changed: Notts County, who beat us that day, were comprehensively relegated the next season, as I suspect we would have been - promotion then didn't bring the bonanza the Premier League does now. Now, we are about to enjoy our fourth Premier League season, while they have just failed to be promoted back to the Football League.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am sorry, how can this all be true? March gets slated for not having good* winger numbers by NSC so we must always play with wingers. But AJ gets defended by NSC as Potter does not play with wingers. Wow. This is a new level of NSC doublethink.

*Defined by NSC as a magical level of which is never explained.

It's almost like it's a discussion site where people with different opinions debate things.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wouldn't call Maupay or Connolly slow moving (Murray is, obviously, but has a very bright brain that might be writing cheques his body can't cash). Mooy and Gross can both see a lot that's on, but neither has pace. Bissouma is quicker but, yeah, very raw and, at times, naive. We all know Dale and Davy are reative snails but both do more of a holding job for Potter - it's not for them to create for an AM / wide forward. Dale's only job seems to be to win it and get it to someone who can play.

Additionally we have added wide pace with Lamptey and a player in Lallana who should be able to read and assist with anything Ali J has in mind.

I don't doubt the two examples of the crosses by the way or the speed of though and physical agility needed for the overhead against Chelsea, but we have enough players with one attribute or the other. Both, at this level, as you know, costs a pretty penny.

My biggest issue with Ali remains not who he is playing with but how often he crossed or shot, partucularly under Hughton. Whenever he was one on one he lost out to the pace or strength or both of his opponent.

My issue was less with Connolly and Maupay than our midfield players, many of whom take far too long to move the ball on. By the time it gets to Maupay or Connolly they are usually well marked.

You are absolutely right, of course, to say that we would struggle to afford players who could spot a pass early and then play it accurately. It would be interesting to see how Ali J might do in the same team as Lallana and Lamptey, who are exceptions, but sadly I don't think we or he will get the chance.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's almost like it's a discussion site where people with different opinions debate things.

.. and so it always should be. I appreciate that I'm generally an outlier on a lot of subjects, but I do find it amazing to think that a lot of folks on this forum fold themselves into knots to defend/promote Solly March but in Jahanbakhsh's very limited game time he got himself more of a goal involvement than March could hope for in two seasons.

Final thoughts on the subject - when Jahanbakhsh leaves he'll join a club playing in the Champions League. That speaks to his standard as a player more than anything which will ever be said on this forum or anywhere else.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think he is CMS all over again.

Decent player IF you play to his strengths.

Our system under CH didn’t as he relied on wide players doing a lot of defending and it doesn’t suit him under GP either because he doesn’t play wide players that often.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here