Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
He obviously has a very good shot in him and his first touch was exquisite yesterday!
Let´s hope we see more of the same in the coming weeks
Loved it yesterday!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting that Naylor thinks he’ll still be off

It would be unsurprising if that wasn't the plan given how much he's played. However, perhaps yesterday was Potter's message to a) the club to tell them he thinks he's good enough to play a part, and to b) AJ himself to show him he has a part to play.

Will be interesting to see what happens from here as it could be up in the air now. Wednesday's selection and the Cup tie might tell us a lot more.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the Telegraph :

“He was so taken by the moment, it was a nice moment in the stadium and I think all the supporters were genuinely delighted for him,” said Potter.

“With all players you understand that when they're not playing that of course they've got a career and they want to get on the pitch but I've also said that Ali has trained really well, and I think there is a role for him.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From the Telegraph :

“He was so taken by the moment, it was a nice moment in the stadium and I think all the supporters were genuinely delighted for him,” said Potter.

“With all players you understand that when they're not playing that of course they've got a career and they want to get on the pitch but I've also said that Ali has trained really well, and I think there is a role for him.”

So basically, if AJ is happy so is GP, and won’t be going anywhere in Jan?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like others who doubted him I am absolutely delighted for him. He's a Brighton player and like all our players I want him to succeed as an individual and also to contribute to our success. Probably especially so for him as he is obviously been a hard-working and respected squad member who hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram when things didn't go his way. It was a lovely strike, a touching celebration, and until he tired his all-round play was good as well. Fair play to the lad.

But...

One swallow doesn't make a summer. Andone scored a wonder goal against Palace but never really 'trained on' (as they say in horse racing circles). Hopefully this won't just be a similar flash in the pan, hopefully he can become the player we all want him to be. But obviously the jury is still out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Like others who doubted him I am absolutely delighted for him. He's a Brighton player and like all our players I want him to succeed as an individual and also to contribute to our success. Probably especially so for him as he is obviously been a hard-working and respected squad member who hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram when things didn't go his way. It was a lovely strike, a touching celebration, and until he tired his all-round play was good as well. Fair play to the lad.

But...

One swallow doesn't make a summer. Andone scored a wonder goal against Palace but never really 'trained on' (as they say in horse racing circles). Hopefully this won't just be a similar flash in the pan, hopefully he can become the player we all want him to be. But obviously the jury is still out.

Good points, as you say by all accounts Ali appears to be well-liked, trains very well and is learning from Potter, whereas Andone appeared to be struggling with some parts of the ‘no dickheads’ policy.......that might be the fundamental difference.......hope he’s bought himself at least a bit more time to prove himself

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good points, as you say by all accounts Ali appears to be well-liked, trains very well and is learning from Potter, whereas Andone appeared to be struggling with some parts of the ‘no dickheads’ policy.......that might be the fundamental difference.......hope he’s bought himself at least a bit more time to prove himself
Yeah. I know my post can be read like some bitter old man chuntering into his pint desperate for AJ to screw up so he can say "Told you so!", but that really isn't the spirit in which I made it. I really want him to be a success. As you say at least he's bought himself some more time, I thought he might be off in Jan, on loan at the least, but it does look like he has a role to play and he can add something different.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Ali J could yet play a major part in rest of season

Suspect he is far more liked by rest of squad than a few of the recently departed larger money signings

Any loan move would have been to get his confidence back, goal yesterday likely to have done this already

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He had a tight schedule to thank for getting the opportunity and I suspect he's going to have to stand out v Sheff W if he's to get another start anytime soon.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He had a tight schedule to thank for getting the opportunity and I suspect he's going to have to stand out v Sheff W if he's to get another start anytime soon.

I don't see it that way

We're predominantly playing 4-3-3 with one striker and two wingers (inside forwards / deep lying strikers / I'm not really sure what you call them)

Trossard is going to be hard to displace from the left sided position
The right sided position, has mostly been occupied by Gross. Pascal has been consistent all season, but you could hardly say undroppable. His set piece prowess is less important as we have Mooy taking them with no noticeable drop in quality. I could see Alireza displacing Gross.

Maybe more of a threat to this right wing position is if Potter wants to use two strikers, especially if we get a new one in, Russian or otherwise, most likely him and Maupay will play, possibly with Maupay playing further right. Solly will also be back in the mix soon.

Either way, it's great that Alireza has put his name in the mix and is now a serious selection option.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Don't agree with that. It was definitely tactical.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here