[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not looking to do a told you so as he’s certainly not “there” yet, but yesterdays performance genuinely wasn’t a shock. He had to have a day where it all started to click for him.

Wasn’t surprised when he didn’t get cut - unlike Locadia who is shit, and Andone who had appeared to have other issues - as Ali certainly is more capable than Locadia, and seemingly a much better attitude than Andone.

Clearly got plenty of ability, just needs the confidence to go with that now and the understanding that will come with settling in alongside teammates and getting more minutes. He’s gonna be fine.

Nothing is nailed on but I think he has a future here, either as a squad player or even possibly the star we thought we were buying.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I remember one of his early games where a ball got hoofed vertically miles up and he killed it brilliantly, getting an appreciative ooh from the crowd.
We saw a lot of wonderfully cushioned touches from difficult to receive balls yesterday.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
His tracking back and defending was something that really impressed me. He fought a lot harder than Trossard did. Hope it all comes good for him.

I wonder if that's where Potter's team have been working, prior to giving him the start. He does look like he was born to control Dunk's forty yarders

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I reckon he’ll do a Locadia and score in the next game against Chelsea, then do f*ck all again for the rest of his Brighton career.

I’d be flabbergasted if he starts against Chelsea. After playing most of a game, after so long sat out, would be very surprising if he’s fit to start again 4 days later. Especially given there are others fit and ready to come back in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not looking to do a told you so as he’s certainly not “there” yet, but yesterdays performance genuinely wasn’t a shock. He had to have a day where it all started to click for him.

Wasn’t surprised when he didn’t get cut - unlike Locadia who is shit, and Andone who had appeared to have other issues - as Ali certainly is more capable than Locadia, and seemingly a much better attitude than Andone.

Clearly got plenty of ability, just needs the confidence to go with that now and the understanding that will come with settling in alongside teammates and getting more minutes. He’s gonna be fine.

Yes agree with this.

Out all of those mentioned AJ does have ability, but I will remain on the fence, as he lacks pace/trick and yesterday, although he played well, particularly in the second half the quality of his crossing began to wane.

I had hoped with a decent pre-season he’d have got a chance earlier, but he looked like he’d picked up a knock (thigh strain), and seemed to get overtaken by others.

Let’s hope he continues - I thought he looked better than Trossard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I remember one of his early games where a ball got hoofed vertically miles up and he killed it brilliantly, getting an appreciative ooh from the crowd.
We saw a lot of wonderfully cushioned touches from difficult to receive balls yesterday.

I think this is what has been so bizarre for me regarding people’s viewpoint of Ali - including people whose rating of footballers I’d usually say was solid.

It’s been blindingly obvious since day one - regardless of his actual effectiveness, which has been low - that Ali has bags of technique.

Reminded me a little of when Lingard first joined - he was weak, easily pushed off the ball, end product lacking a bit - but you could watch him for 5 seconds and know that he was a potentially top quality player for our standard at the time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Wasn’t surprised when he didn’t get cut - unlike Locadia who is shit
Personally I don't think Locadia is shit either.

Ali certainly is more capable than Locadia
I'm unsure about that. I've seen plenty of evidence there's a footballer in Locadia.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I’d be flabbergasted if he starts against Chelsea. After playing most of a game, after so long sat out, would be very surprising if he’s fit to start again 4 days later. Especially given there are others fit and ready to come back in.

I think that was a thought I had when leaving - just seen a bunch of players put in fantastic performances, and just know the team line up will more closely resemble the one v Spurs.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Players who've been good enough to get contracts with our first team are rarely as bad as some will believe. If you're maybe not quite as good as your teammates, and you don't play very well (which will happen against the top opposition we're regularly up against), your confidence takes a knock, you don't get game time, and it's pretty tough to make it from there. But that doesn't mean you're shit.

No, but if you’re not selected in a struggling in team it would suggest that you have work to do or alternatively aren’t quite up to it.

If a defender, I.e. Schelotto can’t get into a defensive minded team, it would suggest his defending isn’t good enough - which it isn’t.

The fact a more offensive coach came along, plus Bruno’s retirement has helped Schelotto, as there is no doubt he is effective going forward. IMO he is a wing-back not a RB.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Personally I don't think Locadia is shit either.

I'm unsure about that. I've seen plenty of evidence there's a footballer in Locadia.

Fair enough. Just have to disagree on that one. Locadia’s technique is horrifically clumsy, and he doesn’t really have any stand out attributes for a striker. In my opinion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, but if you’re not selected in a struggling in team it would suggest that you have work to do or alternatively aren’t quite up to it.

If a defender, I.e. Schelotto can’t get into a defensive minded team, it would suggest his defending isn’t good enough - which it isn’t.

The fact a more offensive coach came along, plus Bruno’s retirement has helped Schelotto, as there is no doubt he is effective going forward. IMO he is a wing-back not a RB.
I don't disagree with that. My point is simply that when it's not working out for a player, with a given manager in a given formation, too many fans write them off as shit, when it's usually a bit more complicated than that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think this is what has been so bizarre for me regarding people’s viewpoint of Ali - including people whose rating of footballers I’d usually say was solid.

It’s been blindingly obvious since day one - regardless of his actual effectiveness, which has been low - that Ali has bags of technique.

Reminded me a little of when Lingard first joined - he was weak, easily pushed off the ball, end product lacking a bit - but you could watch him for 5 seconds and know that he was a potentially top quality player for our standard at the time.

To be fair though, you can watch or League Two game, or even Conference South and you will see some exceptional quality and technique from players as the standard is incredibly high. Saying AJ can't cut it at PL level isn't saying he is a crap footballer. The reason a top quality player maybe playing lower leagues is they may lack stamina, pace, susceptible to injury , consistency etc. Bags of technique is no guarantee of performance at the highest level.

What AJ now needs to follow up on is that this isn't a flash in the pan moment, because PL football is about consistency. Mooy is exemplifying this. He wasn't getting in at the start of the season, but he's making himself virtually undroppable with consistent high level performance.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Ali J is clearly happier running onto a ball or cushioning a moving ball but, let’s be honest, he is not good in tight situations or where he needs quick feet. He can strike a football beautifully but is still a massive PL work in progress for a £17m player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To be fair though, you can watch or League Two game, or even Conference South and you will see some exceptional quality and technique from players as the standard is incredibly high. Saying AJ can't cut it at PL level isn't saying he is a crap footballer. The reason a top quality player maybe playing lower leagues is they may lack stamina, pace, susceptible to injury , consistency etc. Bags of technique is no guarantee of performance at the highest level.

What AJ now needs to follow up on is that this isn't a flash in the pan moment, because PL football is about consistency. Mooy is exemplifying this. He wasn't getting in at the start of the season, but he's making himself virtually undroppable with consistent high level performance.

Absolutely. My point isn’t - he was definitely always going to make it - it’s that I was baffled that people would refer to him as shit or not even looking like a footballer, which is patently bollocks to anyone with functioning eyes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't disagree with that. My point is simply that when it's not working out for a player, with a given manager in a given formation, too many fans write them off as shit, when it's usually a bit more complicated than that.

Agreed.

BTW - Big Jurg isn’t shit either (as you point out). However, I would disagree slightly in that he isn’t much of a footballer in terms of PL, poor first touch (in contrast to AJ), limited pace or quickness of thought which you really need in the box, physically weak and poor workrate.

I do hope he proves me wrong but although he looked okay in pre-season, he reverted to type vs Watford and was quickly sent out on loan. European leagues probably suit his style more as they are slower, with more space in the final third (and he can finish if he has time).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolutely. My point isn’t - he was definitely always going to make it - it’s that I was baffled that people would refer to him as shit or not even looking like a footballer, which is patently bollocks to anyone with functioning eyes.

I know what you mean, but I think for many the prism of judgement is based upon the context of what your team currently specifically needs. I have doubts he can consistently contribute at this level, but yesterday was a transformation from all his previous minutes on the pitch in his Albion career so far. He is clearly a footballer in other regards, but the Premier League is a different beast in comparison to many other competitions at the pinnacle of the game.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That’s right - and he could probably leave a make a nice packet elsewhere but he’s been really trying to make this work. It’s often an empty gesture but that little tap of the badge after he scored was a genuine thing for the fans. If that’s all he ever does then I’m pleased for him. I don’t doubt his ability, in fact think he is one of our most complete technical players, but the issue for him is getting to grips with the style of the league. Only a select group of players such as KDB can lack aggression and pace and still hold their own in the PL.

Wow. You think KDB lacks pace and aggression :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports