Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Alexa

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Was at a friend of Mrs G last night and the husband had set up an Alexa in their ensuite to "give me the news headlines and my new emails while I shower in the morning...". ...

How on earth would you do that?

I was pleased when after a few false starts I managed to get Alexa to play songs using Spotify. But now my 3 month free trial is ending Spotify want £10 a month to continue...

How do other NSCers manage this? Is there an easy way to get Alexa working well for free?? Advice gratefully received and I'm sure I'm not the only one who could benefit. (Nb I have Samsung phone).

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Alexa can still play the free tiers is Spotify, Amazon music etc etc or radio providers TuneIn, Absolute and if you want a slightly crappier experience, BBC Sounds. Alexa is great to use as a timer in the kitchen btw.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
All I can hear when I’m in the shower is running water, not sure I could hear the news unless I had some sort of built in speakers in my shower cubicle.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Was at a friend of Mrs G last night and the husband had set up an Alexa in their ensuite to "give me the news headlines and my new emails while I shower in the morning...". ...

How on earth would you do that?

I was pleased when after a few false starts I managed to get Alexa to play songs using Spotify. But now my 3 month free trial is ending Spotify want £10 a month to continue...

How do other NSCers manage this? Is there an easy way to get Alexa working well for free?? Advice gratefully received and I'm sure I'm not the only one who could benefit. (Nb I have Samsung phone).
Go to settings in the Alexa app, click news, then My News Channel for one source or Flash Briefings multiple sources.

For the email, go to settings, click email then add account.

(ps. I don't have an Amazon device but just got this info online)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Anyone tried asking Alexa to play a wet fart, fun at family gatherings :D
Try the 30 second fart countdown.........
Never wanted an Alexa or anything like it (news headlines in the shower for goodness sake) - but the news that this is an option, now that might just persuade me!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Have 4 dotted around the house. Used for radio stations, different programmes in different rooms if that's what's wanted or the same station in sync around the house. Good for turning the lights on/off without having to get up (before you say you're lazy, it's particularly good if you are temporarily disabled), opening the driveway gates from the car. So many things you can do.....oh, and a kitchen timer;)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Done that, been there and moved on.
Next question please.
It doesn't matter what age you are, farts are funny.

I'm a little mischievous and have downloaded a fart app to my phone for special occasions. Life is too short not to laugh.

On that note, the NHS online pages use the word 'fart' instead of flatulence these days. I'm looking forward to hearing my doctor say it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It doesn't matter what age you are, farts are funny.

I'm a little mischievous and have downloaded a fart app to my phone for special occasions. Life is too short not to laugh.
Oh yeh totally agree, I've got a very dry warped SOH.
Sometimes gets me into the :poop:
I, like others, need all the laughs I can get at the moment :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don’t find the smell of the farts my puppy does very amusing 😧
I'll never forget the first and only time my cat let rip. It was vile.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Setting up smart plug routines is easy as well. Also, if you say alexa thankyou after asking her a question, she is very civil and her jokes are sometimes quite good....just watch out for key words in your every day chatter. She got my wifes phone to contact me and set up a fitness bloke to give us a lecture!
More of a smart arse home than a smart home

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Good for turning the lights on/off without having to get up (before you say you're lazy, it's particularly good if you are temporarily disabled)
Temporary disabled eh? Is that what it's called now. :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here