Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aleksandar Mitrovic

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185413 said:
Now on 33 Championship goals for the season. Could he hit 40? 50?

14 Championship fixtures left, if he carries on at his current strike rate of 33 in 30 he should finish on around 48-49 goals.

Quite a season he's having.

Has been in that Knockaert/Shelvey limbo - too good for the Championship, mostly ineffective in the Prem.

See this has been differently named the Huckerby/Earnshaw vortex above.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185413 said:
Now on 33 Championship goals for the season. Could he hit 40? 50?

14 Championship fixtures left, if he carries on at his current strike rate of 33 in 30 he should finish on around 48-49 goals.

Quite a season he's having.

Wow. Who was the last person to score over 40 in the second tier? Roger Hunt maybe?

George Camsell is the record holder at this level with 59. But that was after the offside law was changed and defences were still adjusting.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wow. Who was the last person to score over 40 in the second tier? Roger Hunt maybe?

George Camsell is the record holder at this level with 59. But that was after the offside law was changed and defences were still adjusting.

Steve Bull almost did. But I can't remember anyone else.

EDIT: That was Division 3.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Guy Whittingham scored 42 for Portsmouth in early 90s I think

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wonder how he would do in the prem in an attacking team who aren't near the bottom of the table all season?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Never does well for Fulham at this level but that’s not to say in our team or a similar level one he wouldn’t do better. Could expect Chris Wood type of career I’m willing to bet if actually moved on somewhere. Doesn’t have to be a Burnley either. Why not Everton as a back up to Calvert-Lewin who seems to miss a lot of games.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I agree with Michael Cox’s theory that a top side like Liverpool or City should sign him as a plan B. Or even a United, Spurs or Arsenal.

I think that would suit his game better thsn having to be the main man doing a lot more work for a struggling side. He can be totally unplayable and with even better supply he could be devastating. He’s too good for another season fighting relegation.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’d be shocked if his all round game appeals to Potter in the same way Maupay’s and Welbeck’s does. The new ‘big man’ needs to be a left or right winger who can come central and score some critical goals.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be fair to Mitrovic, Parker did nothing to accommodate him when they were cruising to relegation. They were playing decent football and Parker was garnering plaudits for their pretty but ineffective football, all while keeping Mitrovic on the bench. Ivan Toney scored 33 goals last season and is playing in a very similar system this season for Brentford - 6 goals.

One thing I really don't think anyone takes into account is that the Premier League is just MUCH harder. I lose track of the number of players that get promoted or signed and lose the regular scoring touch. Signing someone from the Championship to come straight up and score 15 goals is almost impossible. 10-12 is a great return.

This season, none of the top scorers in the league have made recent moved up from the Championship with Bowen and Maupay being the most recent (8 goals each). Last season, the only "promoted" strikers that did well were Bamford (17) and Watkins (14). Bamford took nearly a decade to find his feet and Watkins ' output has significantly declined in 2021-22 (5).

My point is the step up is very, very hard. There are almost no Vardys out there and who knows how Mitrovic would have progressed if he'd stayed in the Premier league for 2, 3, 4 years in a row, competing against top defenders week in, week out.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Fair play, he’s just overtaken Guy Whittingham’s 1992-3 record, scoring twice in a 7-0 thumping of Luton to reach 43 for the league season.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting result as that goal difference swing gives Millwall an outside chance of getting in the play offs now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair play, he’s just overtaken Guy Whittingham’s 1992-3 record, scoring twice in a 7-0 thumping of Luton to reach 43 for the league season.

That second half was brutal. Luton took it, and they took it hard. Psychologically, their promotion dream could be over already.

Mitrovic was superb, as was Carvalho.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Said it before, and l'll say it again, as much as l like him Mitrovic simply isn't a Potter type player, and wouldn't fit into his system of playing.

Over and above that he we probably couldn't, and wouldn't be prepared to afford him anyway.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It’s a cracking effort from the lad. He’s great at what he does and it was a surprise the highly rated Parker didn’t recognise getting the best out of him was the best chance they had. Be interesting to see how he gets on next year but you’d be surprised if he didn’t hit double figures. I’d love him at our club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here