GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I know I work for sainsburys but... How can you compare Aldi's tired and often off looking fresh stuff to Sainsburys? I only use the place for their special offers (and Lidl) and some chocolates but the rest just reminds me of Quick Save, which was awful.

Having actually worked in the produce department in Sainsbury's the gap is nowhere near as big as you make out. Aldi is less well staffed so you see more of the off stuff, but there is still good stuff there.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Where are they from? Asda have theirs at 50p but they aren't British like Sainsbury's are

Asda have slashed prices on other produce items to undercut Aldi and Lidl. Iceberg lettuce down to 50p too :D

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Lidl's is good for stuff like chocolate and drinks but I wouldn't do a weekly shop there. Most people I know rave about how good Asda are, especially the meat/cheese counters. (Coming from a waitrose employee).

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Excuse me where can I find the milk.
Its over there sir, turn left by the bycycle pumps and its between the childrens oil painting sets and the wheel trims.

Make sure you don't lose anything on a day that you visit Aldi; you simply cannot ring up the store to make enquiries! I went to mine yesterday to buy the shower mixer tap advertised only to find they are unsuitable for the traditional UK system. They didn't bother to mention that on their website either; I don't think the staff have a clue!

I am fortunate enough to have Waitrose, Morrisons, Lidl and Tesco within 5',
You have been busy with your Lego, haven't you!

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Supermarkets have conned us into thinking there are the one stop best solution to everything.

The price of vegetables are shocking. A quid for an aubergine, celeriac sold like some mystical expensive tropical fruit.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I shop at both Sainsbury's and Aldi. I'm sorry but I think you're just being loyal to your employer, the Aldi stuff is much better than Sainsbury's. Never seen anything look tired there. It doesn't have the choice of other supermarkets though - which is why I use both.

I shop 1. wherever is cheapest for what I want (branded stuff) and 2. Where my wife tells me. If she thought either of these were better for fresh stuff we would be buying it there. I have to go to ASDA for some things, Morissons for fresh cakes and Tesco for other stuff, Sainsburys is fresh veg and meat snacks.

No way I am being loyal as I am a shopping tart in one circle I can do ASDA, Tesco, Morissons, Sainsburys, Sainsburys (2 of them soon to be 3) coop, waitrose and soon ASDA again all in 5 mile circle.

But in my experience the fresh stuff has been manky as I say it may simply be down that it is a difference in area, the supply chain to your store may be better, it may have faster turn over so the stuff is fresher.

As above shows lot of competition in Birmingham far more than I have ever seen in Brighton or for that matter the south east.

Mind you they all sell the same things at largely the same prices no one doing anything different, and I include Lidl and Aldi in that who just seem to ape the big stores with knockoff versions of brands.

Oct 25, 2003
aldi is immense...i absolutely love it in there, each time i go in there with the girlfriend she gets worried that i love aldi more than her

shopping on london road you have a decent choice between aldi, iceland, co-op and sainos...it's far, far better than iceland and far cheaper than co-op or saino's

for some stuff it's simply not worth paying extra, unless you're going really top of the range...and i have to disagree with the poster that said their fresh fruit & veg is dodgy...it's absolutely fine (although it does seem to go off quicker than from other places)

for alcohol they simply DESTROY other supermarkets

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Then either we have different standards or the quality in the several ones I have been to have seriously worse than the one you go to.

A few chefs I know have told me in the past that the best supermarkets for fresh veg are Aldi and LIDL far better quality and VFM than Sainsburys Tesco and Asda. By personal experience I think that by far the worst for fresh veg or meat is Morrisons as it doesnt keep longer than about 24 hours. The best veg comes from my allotment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've been in the Boundary Road Aldi a couple of times but no more. Haven't been back because I saved a couple of quid but took forever to get out as only one till was open. If my budget reduced I'd go back but I can't be arsed to queue all day to save less than the price of a pint.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Only if you are over 65.

I'm not over 65 and I buy most of my food in M&S.
Sainsburys or Tesco for cleaning stuff, but you can't beat M&S for good grub:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here