Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcoholic/like a beer or two too much?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
0.5%

I'm not going to say who is investigating other than they regulate the law. Source? Put it this way I'm a quality manager for one of the Worlds largest Brewers.

The tolerances you state are incorrect for beers under 1.2%

I see BrewDog still market plenty of AF beers. How’s the investigation from the law regulators going?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I see BrewDog still market plenty of AF beers. How’s the investigation from the law regulators going?

I’m led to believe the regulations will be changed removing ambiguity. Watch this space.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I have made a conscious effort to cut down. It came to a head when I had a total blackout, lost all the possessions I had on me, had no idea how and still cannot remember how I got home, but I did.

I have gone 5 weeks without any alcohol but fancied a couple of beers last night. I limited myself to 4 cans of lager and felt amazingly tipsy when it would normally take double or treble that in the past to have the same effect. I am pleased that I managed to limit it to 4. I am not missing the hangovers, seem to have more energy and am exercising a lot more than I used to.

I will never give up drinking as I enjoy it but want to be able to have that 'off switch' that I never used to have.

Here is hoping....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
100 days off at the start of the year, a lot of days on in the summer and only 7 days drinking in last 6 weeks has put me on 183 days of abstinence. Half the year free, best effort by far in 45 years drinking and I’m happy with that.

Is my glass half empty or half full?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Incidentally. All of you on here with alcohol dependency. You know who you are. Then take some advice from someone who was enslaved by addiction to Alcohol and then opiates and then both...you won’t stop because someone else, your wife, girlfriend, parents, kids...you’ll promise them all you will stop...but you’ll fail. You will only ever stop for you. It’s.always only your choice.

But I stopped. I don’t go to AA or NA anymore but would if I needed to feel some fellowship. It’s not for me..I’m an atheist so no 12 step program is ever going to stick. But there are other things one can do.

You can get out without fvcking everything over but..you will lose things when you stop.

I lost a marriage, a relationship with a dad and brother in law who were confirmed boozers, friends...a lot.

But I’ve gained infinitely more than I lost.

I've been clean and sober in CA and AA for 21 continuous years, 12 step programme works perfectly for me and I'm a dyed in the wool, paid up, card carrying atheist. Never had a problem reconciling the two.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m led to believe the regulations will be changed removing ambiguity. Watch this space.

Interesting. I presume this must be a reasonably big discussion in the industry; do you have any articles about the law change we can read?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Interesting. I presume this must be a reasonably big discussion in the industry; do you have any articles about the law change we can read?

There's no articles I know of but am aware of certain discussions as we are launching another alcohol free product (watch this space G----H) and there's the compliance issue post brexit and labelling etc.

I can't currently say anymore but as it becomes more public I will. Suffice to say there's much going on with the reg's this is one not really high on the agenda to resolve by the powers that be.

Just don't drink the Guinness 0.0 https://www.guinness.com/en-ie/our-beers/guinness-0.0/

Jul 7, 2003
I've not had any alcohol since August last year and don't miss it.

I had my first "but you'll have a drink at Christmas won't you" when catching up with some friends a few weeks ago. Not sure why Christmas should be an excuse to drink ( and as I was the usual driver, I never drank much at Christmas because of Boxing Day football anyway).

For those who are still avoiding or trying to minimise their intake of booze, don't feel pressured into drinking just because it is Christmas.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I drink everyday pretty much, the odd day off but not many. Anything from 3 pints to 8 but never at home. Last lockdown I pretty much stopped, just the odd can, over the 3 months. Lost 1.5-2 stone and felt amazing. Pubs opened and back I went and put the weight straight back on.

Stopped again this lockdown, I had my first bottle of beer last night to celebrate the win and didn't really enjoy it, I never really do at home. I'm staying off it through lockdown even if it goes right the way through to March but with the odd tipple as before. The difference is, this time I will keep the volume down with only the occasional pub visit when they are back open. Lost 6lb so far and starting to feel better even though I didn't realise I felt bad before. 1-1.5 stone to go. And selfishly, I'm quite happy if this lockdown does go on until end of March.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Someone close to me is suffering from severe alcoholism- it is destroying their life, relationships, finances etc.

They have reached out for help to their GP, local alcohol support group (CGL) but no one seems able or willing to help (possibly COVID is having an impact here too)

Any suggestions on who to turn to next? She tried AA but didn't get on with it (couldn't do the 'spiritual' side of things)

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Someone close to me is suffering from severe alcoholism- it is destroying their life, relationships, finances etc.

They have reached out for help to their GP, local alcohol support group (CGL) but no one seems able or willing to help (possibly COVID is having an impact here too)

Any suggestions on who to turn to next? She tried AA but didn't get on with it (couldn't do the 'spiritual' side of things)

The book ‘This Naked Mind’ has helped a lot of people. Including me!

The author also runs ‘The Alcohol Experiment’ which is a supported programme to stop drinking for 30 days. You get sent an email every day with videos, articles etc. It’s free. And helpful if they do want to stop.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I did Sober October, had a couple of nights back on it with friends, and then decided to go sober for Lockdown 2. I feel so much better I'm not really looking forward to going back to having a social life

You can have a social life and chose a non-alcoholic drink. Honestly! People get used to you doing it pretty quickly. [emoji1320]

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

The author also runs ‘The Alcohol Experiment’ which is a supported programme to stop drinking for 30 days. You get sent an email every day with videos, articles etc. It’s free. And helpful if they do want to stop.

I did that a while ago and its excellent. I drink still but have cut down a lot and even though I lapse into old habits of drinking every night sometimes I dont beat myself up. I find that I can cut down whenever I like now. I understand how the desire for alcohol is triggered and feel in control. Last couple of weeks started to cut down with none in the week and only had 2 pints this last weekend gone.

I now only drink when I really feel like it and just enjoy it when I do without being reliant on it

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I did Sober October, had a couple of nights back on it with friends, and then decided to go sober for Lockdown 2. I feel so much better I'm not really looking forward to going back to having a social life

It's better than being on the sauce and coked up - seriously, I look back on those days and I used to talk so much crap when I got through 2 grams a night. Lost a lot of friends from being arrogant, loud and acting like a twàt generally.

You'll be ok mate. I haven't had a drink for months and don't miss it. :thumbsup:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

Thanks mate, will check that out!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've been using the DRINK FREE DAYS App for the last two years, and recorded it regardless of how much alcoholic intake, i.e. a small glass of wine at a business event still goes down as NOT a drink free day and it's amazing how it changes your approach to the odd drink here and there?

My problem is I have a quick drink but that will often lead me to a reason to go to the pub or have another drink when I get home.

Shocking though, only 106 drink free days this year :eek::ohmy:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've been using the DRINK FREE DAYS App for the last two years, and recorded it regardless of how much alcoholic intake, i.e. a small glass of wine at a business event still goes down as NOT a drink free day and it's amazing how it changes your approach to the odd drink here and there?

My problem is I have a quick drink but that will often lead me to a reason to go to the pub or have another drink when I get home.

Shocking though, only 106 drink free days this year :eek::ohmy:

That's the App I use. It's helped but I would like an App that registers what I drink on the drinking days. On Sunday I celebrated reaching 183 days by drinking a bottle and half of red. Yesterday was a wash out. It's a work in progress and I'm slowly changing my mindset.

Target for 2020 is now 208 days free. That will be not drinking for 4 days for every week in the year. Next year I'll aim to just beat that and work on the binge drinking in between.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I go through real stages of drinking too much, getting into a rut with it, pulling myself out of the hole, only drinking on weekends and the cycle continues. I think coming from a heavy drinking family (not my mum or siblings, but more dad, uncles, cousins etc) I'm very aware of the state of their lives through drink and don't want to get that way myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here