Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcoholic/like a beer or two too much?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Thank you. :)

I really wanted to see if I could do the 12 months AF, but time, place and circumstances intervened and last night was the right time for me to cut free so although I haven't reached my goal I'm not sad about that. In reality, my goal was only ever 'one day at a time' until the right moment arrived. So the fact that the right moment came last night isn't a problem.
But I have a completely fresh and far more healthy relationship with alcohol now. I know a bottle and half of red wine on a Saturday night hardly suggests that, but I see it as very much a one-off and don't intend to drink again for a couple of weeks I should imagine, if at all.The very fact that I know I can do this now is exactly where I want to be.

Good luck to all those cutting it out or cutting down.

even firefighters are only human
very best wishes
I love your posts .... if I'm on a downer I think of the lady in the bath :smile:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
even firefighters are only human
very best wishes
I love your posts .... if I'm on a downer I think of the lady in the bath :smile:

Thank you. That’s very kind of you. No longer fighting fires but I’m glad the story of the elderly lady stuck in the bath still brightens your day occasionally. You know what? I reckon she’d have liked that.

Day 2 :thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Not had a drink this year but I do fancy a glass or two of wine with the good lady on Valentine's day.

Due to my job I now go a week or so without a drop, however that means when I get a couple of days off I binge to excess, it’s not a good look. I can’t give it up, I don’t want to, I like a beer, I do wish though that I could call it a day before it gets to the stage where I can’t stand up

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
50 days today. £500 + saved and 31,000 calories not drunk.

Third year in a row for a half century. This year I’m determined to get my maiden century.

Cheers everyone.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Not had a drink this year but I do fancy a glass or two of wine with the good lady on Valentine's day.

Had my first drink of the year on Valentines. This then rolls into 2 or 3 other times since I have had a beer. This is the problem for me, if I do not rink at all for a sustained period then I am fine. When I do have a beer or two it seems to snowball.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Day 68 for me. 6 days away from my longest spell of abstinence since 1976.

Plan was to not drink until after the Brighton Marathon. That’s just been pushed back to September and might not happen at all this year.��

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Need to get back on the dry train - I've drunk a fair bit over the last week due to Coronastress. I was all set for a dry night last night and then someone gave me a bottle of read wine as we'd looked after their son on Saturday night. That's gone now.

It's not all bad news though - I'm running better/faster than ever and when I weighed myself this morning I'm the lightest I've been for a very long time. It could be 20 years, or possibly even longer, since I was this weight.

Stumpy Tim

Yes it´s a strange one. I have some weights and a cross-trainer at home, so using this time at home to stay fit. But with no sport and with constant bad news, it´s very hard not to have a few beers now and again.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think I have found a good balance that I am happy with. I last had a few glasses of wine about a fortnight ago and since then zero alcohol. Knowing that I can have the odd beer or glass of wine and then just stop again for however long I choose to works for me and is where I want to be. I think I had to go through the 7 months of being 100% AF to re-set my relationship with booze and get control back. In fact if I had to go AF again for 6, 7,12 months or even longer I really don't think it would bother me.

The whole 'one day at a time' thing really worked for me. Good luck to all those still cutting back or cutting it out.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I drink a bottle of either Bourbon, Whisky or Brandy a week, usually over four nights as I have long weekends these days. I don't drink anything else at all, not even at the football. Apart from this, like Bozza I keep myself fit running and cycling and my weight and diet is spot on. I know it is way above Government guidelines but would you consider this heavy drinking? Not sure whether to just enjoy it or cut down.

Jul 7, 2003
In response to the "how's your drinking?" thread, I thought it was worth resurrecting this thread - probably just for [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] s health!

I'm still dry since August and the current situation hasn't made me feel the need to reach for the bottle. It made me chuckle when off-licences were deemed essential. How is everyone else coping?

Jimmy Grimble

Interesting read this thread - thanks to all that have contributed so openly and honestly.

I’ve only ever really been a ‘weekend drinker’ and ‘event drinker’ although I would always go heavy for both (10 pints on a football day for example). I figured our current situation seems a good time to have a break from booze as there are essentially no weekends or events!

I was slightly tempted to have a few at home on Saturday just to make it feel like a Saturday but managed to resist which was pleasing.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any real impact just yet, other than not having a hangover during the weekend, but I guess it is very early days (17 to be precise).

Would be interested to know how others are getting on in these times?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Interesting read this thread - thanks to all that have contributed so openly and honestly.

I’ve only ever really been a ‘weekend drinker’ and ‘event drinker’ although I would always go heavy for both (10 pints on a football day for example). I figured our current situation seems a good time to have a break from booze as there are essentially no weekends or events!

I was slightly tempted to have a few at home on Saturday just to make it feel like a Saturday but managed to resist which was pleasing.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any real impact just yet, other than not having a hangover during the weekend, but I guess it is very early days (17 to be precise).

Would be interested to know how others are getting on in these times?

I’ve been an event drinker and daily bottle of red drinker for 42 years.Fit and healthy at 60.

Stopped Jan 5th and now day 84. Heading for my ton but will have to go beyond with the lockdown. A bottle of wine would go down like a pint of Harvey’s and then lead to another half bottle and continue day after day.

Don’t feel massively better but sleeping better. Being sober doesn’t improve my running.

I need a new objective after the 100 and after the lockdown. May 19th (now postponed Arundel Triathlon), 8th June (150 days) or mid summer 20th June will all be dates I can stop at but will try and complete half the year.

So I’m using my addictive personality to have a break from drinking.

Good luck to you and all others. Cheers.😀

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I’m still alcohol free - quit Jan last year. Don’t think I’ll go back to it.

I’m curious how the lockdown will have affected people’s drinking habits. I guess for many people they did quite a bit of their drinking when they went out for social purposes. Now we are all stuck at home, does that mean much less alcohol consumption, or have people just had to shift to at home drinking, which for some people would mean drinking alone.

Just curious really- as to how the change in circumstance might have impacted on people’s thoughts / habits.

Stumpy Tim

I’m still alcohol free - quit Jan last year. Don’t think I’ll go back to it.

I’m curious how the lockdown will have affected people’s drinking habits. I guess for many people they did quite a bit of their drinking when they went out for social purposes. Now we are all stuck at home, does that mean much less alcohol consumption, or have people just had to shift to at home drinking, which for some people would mean drinking alone.

Just curious really- as to how the change in circumstance might have impacted on people’s thoughts / habits.

I´ve probably had 4 cans of beer, probably 3 times a week, since the lockdown. In fact, it´s become a bit of a routine to break the monotony of it all - Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I´m pretty comfortable with that level... it´s a little more than I was drinking before, though spread out across the week, but nowhere near enough to have had a hangover of any sorts.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Just added a midweek livener to my normal Fri Sat Sun, all beer albeit 6 - 7 % . Weight fine and in fair nick................for my age :rolleyes:

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Good evening, not been on for a while since starting the thread, having done the detox last year, completely fell off of the wagon. Feel it’s worse now than before, drinking anything and everything when available. Can’t seem to stop until it’s all gone, but still seem to function day to day. I gather it’s not a normal function, just mine. Time to get back off of the juice, but shit me it’s hard. Well done to all that have and have cut right back.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Good evening, not been on for a while since starting the thread, having done the detox last year, completely fell off of the wagon. Feel it’s worse now than before, drinking anything and everything when available. Can’t seem to stop until it’s all gone, but still seem to function day to day. I gather it’s not a normal function, just mine. Time to get back off of the juice, but shit me it’s hard. Well done to all that have and have cut right back.

Hang in there mate. Its good you came back to say how things are.

PM me anytime you want

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here