Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Cult of Dom Keller - 'Goodbye to the Light'

This Nottingham goth/psychedelic rock band paid a really nice tribute to Alan Vega this week and you can see the influences. Add in Pink Floyd and a lot of Sisters of Mercy too. I'm not the biggest fan of Goth but sometimes a band comes along that I get totally and this is one such. Love the album, it's majestic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g663HBqXMno

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A few more albums I've been listening to.

General Elektriks - 'To Be A Stranger'
French act General Elektriks combines funky guitars, synths and drum patterns for a very cool sound. He (General Elektriks) had quite a big hit with 'Raid The Radio' a few years back and his new album keeps up the good work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKN3HEYOsqk

Lou Rhodes - 'Theyesandeye'
The current Resident Records album of the week, I hadn't heard of Lou Rhodes before (or rather, I thought I hadn't) so when I heard the album I was very impressed but thought she sounded very similar to the lead singer from Lamb. A bit of googling and it turns out she IS the lead singer of Lamb. If you're a Lamb fan then I think you will love this too, it's similar downtempo rhythms and chords but without the synths and drum programs. It is folky but most of the tunes have a bit of oomph to them and lift them. The only real criticism is the cover of The XX 'Angels' quite early on in the album. The whole 'female folky whispered cover version of a classic' genre has been done to death and been used on so many adverts that it makes me fast-forward whenever I hear something like that. Otherwise, it's a solid 7/10 from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiRXRdBjvs

The Amazing - 'Ambulance'
An album where you have to be in the mood to listen to it rather than as background music, I think. It just doesn't work with it as the latter, the songs merge into each other without leaving much of an impression. Headphones on, it's a different matter. It's quite beautiful, melancholy and even bold. It reminds me of Icelandic singer Asgeir although The Amazing have more 'rock' about them. Their name does them no favours when trying to google tracks to link for streaming but I have found an article from NPR where the album is there in full. Standout tracks for me are 'Ambulance' and 'Tracks'

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/14/485097237/first-listen-the-amazing-ambulance

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
After some hit & miss stuff with Lamb, Lou has made a wonderfully light and breezy folky dream here. Her album (possibly about our esteemed owner) from 2007 has been surpassed here. As above, very solid and really getting into songs such as Sea Organ right now. 8/10 from me.

theyesandeye-650x650.jpg

Korn's new album "The Serenity Of Suffering" will be out October 22nd. The first single off of it, "Rotting In Vain", was released last Friday.

Reminiscent of the sound of some of their earlier albums, which is only a good thing!

[yt]nq9j1qkj2Vc[/yt]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stax legend William Bell (best known for his duet with Judy Clay, Private Number) is still recording and his new album, This is Where I Live, is the goods. Hope I'm still going this strong as I near 80

[yt]dbXMYJSvddk[/yt]

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Bad Bad Not Good - 'IV'

One for those who like the more adventurous jazz, instrumental music end of the spectrum. Imagine Tortoise with a saxophone. Date announced at Brixton Electric for November.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been loving the Rival Consoles album an am delighted to see he has a new album out.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Do you like house music? Of course you do! Then listen to Jackmaster's DJ Kicks. It's WICKERD.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The new Thee Oh Sees album is getting great reviews, anyone heard it yet? Seems they have added an extra drummer and a few kraut influences. I shall be seeing them again next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here