Albums Thread - 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haven't heard it yet - got a long list to catch up on over the weekend.

Agree. I was thinking the same. Quite a lot of stuff coming out at the moment including a new Joanna Newsom long player.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey, that sounds up my street. I remember liking the first one without being totally blown away.

My thoughts exactly, on both points. I'm quite excited about this album.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd seen that Guardian review, but my impression is that there are certain people on this thread that have their finger closer to the pulse even than those Guardian journos :):thumbsup:
I'm going to have to get it given just how good Ty Segall's albums/live performances are. Haven't heard that first Fuzz album though, and don't think I'll bother. While we're on that, Ty Segall's live album is probably the most disappointing album I've heard this year. Not that it's bad, but it really doesn't add anything to his more recent releases, and it seems like a cynical exercise on behalf of his record company, him or perhaps both.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
It breaks no real new ground, wears its influences obviously at times and is a bit too knowing for its own good but, but, but despite all this I cannot help but like the new Half Moon Run long player. It really is a very well made, if undemanding, record indeed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fans of electro and minimal techno might enjoy Pan-Pot's long player The Other. It's getting me through two days of solid, boring manual testing. Definitely would happen in Germany,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fans of electro and minimal techno might enjoy Pan-Pot's long player The Other. It's getting me through two days of solid, boring manual testing. Definitely would happen in Germany,

I'll check this out. Sounds up my street. Thanks.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The 4th album of utter brilliance from London's Teeth of The Sea is streaming over at The Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...deadly-black-tarantula-exclusive-album-stream

This time, they are name checking Aphex Twin, Angelo Badalamenti, Throbbing Gristle, Chicago footwork and black metal as influence. And that's pretty accurate.

If you don't know this lot, their earlier work is excellent - Orphaned By The Ocean was a bit Talk Talk, Your Mercury was krautrock from the future and Master was simulatneously minimal and maximal techno. Brilliant live.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Off to see Slayer week after next so I decided to give their new album a listen. Age certainly hasn't tamed these guys, the lead track Repentless is a ferocious and brutal as anything they've previously done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bought 3 albums last week: Julia Holter, Joanna Newsom, Fuzz. All have album of the year potential; the Newsom one especially.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seeing this thread pop up reminded me I've had a few goes on the Guy Garvey solo album now. Some of it sounds like Elbow. Some of it really doesn't and much of it is very heavily jazz influenced. Like a lot. #FestivalDad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports