[Music] Albums 2022

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
New mix can be found here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/sounds-of-the-airing-cupboard-74/

Tracklist:
1. V.C.R - Lothlorien
In parts a mixture of literature, classic 70s soul and experimental classical music
2. Lost Cat - L.O.S.T.
All girl garage rock band channel their inner 60s girl group
3. Faction Structure - Anxities Faction Structure
Named after a Bowie quote; very much art pop, avant-new wave and experimental post punk
4. Treasury of Puppies - Döddens Soffa
Swedish experimental duo sing about the Couch of Death with more than a hint of Young Marble Giants
5. Kelly Lee Owens - Sonic 8
New LP adds industrial sounds to her stripped back techno creating something completely different from her previous two albums
6. Marina Herlop - Shaolin Mantis
Experimental electronica that seems to exist in a world of its own
7. Shoko Igarashi - AppleBanana
Japanese producer based in Belgium joins the dots between Euro bleep techno and the Yellow Magic Orchestra
8. From Here On It's All - Mano Che Scende
Slow building experimental pop with lyrics almost spoken in Italian
9. Astereotypie - Aucun Mec Ne Ressemble Brad Pitt Dans Le Drome
Another slow starter until the frenetic head banging guitars join the party. As well as Brad Pitt, lyrics namecheck Jared Leto and Lily Cole amongst others.
10. Stefanie Stauffacher - Afterhour
Gothic electronica with Teutonic vocals, though chorus is sung in English. The EP this is from contains a track called Bela Lugosi is Tot, not a cover of the Bauhaus track though the actual vinyl cover has the band recreate that band's original cover.
11. Vic Bang - Uze
Not a Sid James character from a Carry On film but a female Argentine experimental electronic artist. The track fizzes and poings its way through its 2 minutes
12. Monotronique - No Other Place Like Home
Sombre bleepy single note keyboard juxtapose with choppy bass lines from Ukrainian producer
13. DJ Travella - Crazy Beat Music Uneme 2
19 year old Tanzanian DJ produces frenetic, delirious, in your head, wall of sound dance music that never lets up over the track's three minutes.
14. Fadi Alghoul - A Police Station, Metal Chair and a Car Battery
Kuwaiti producer soundtracks the 1991 Gulf War. The constant electronic feedback marks a dark eeriness questioning the actual use of the chair and battery
15. Gaika - Zatoichi
UK hip hop artist soundtracks the current state of the nation
16. 700 Bliss ft Lafawndah - Totally Spies
Noise artist DJ Haram teams up with Moor Mother for electronic crossover
17. Everyday Saints - Bistress Yourself
Brighton band delve into darkwave with 80s electronic pop influences to produce vibrant single

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very much liking The Smile album.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just about to spin the new offering from these two geniuses where Wales meets Senegal.

dfg.jpg

If it's anything as good as previous stuff, it'll be magical.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
New mix can be found here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/upload/The_Airing_Cupboard/sounds-of-the-airing-cupboard-75/complete/

Tracklist:
1. Pustosh - Peace
Ukrainian duo channel 90s grunge adding a kazoo - song itself contemplates the change in outlook since February
2. They Hate Change - X_Ray Spex
US hip hop duo highly influenced by the variety of dance sounds of 1990s UK
3. Bunny - Foul
Glitchy and murky cyberpop
4. Lollise - Birthday
Vibrant Afropop from Botswana via New York
5. Afrorack - Why Serious?
Guy from Uganda can't afford a synth so learns electronics via You Tube and builds his own. Ten minutes of glorious modular synth sounds with African flavours
6. Pimpon - Lalalala
Avant garde electronica throwing together frenetic, glitchy beats and IDM for the first 7 minutes before merging into field recordings of birdsong for the last minute and a half.
7. For Breakfast - Orfordness Lighthouse
Seven piece band seem to have the same amount of musical influences that sees tracks shift from one genre to another during a single track. This one is no exception combining the grinding guitars of Mogwai with a more mellow jazz arrangement and classic pop style vocals
8. Sinaïve - Tenebras
French band update the sounds of The Field Mice
9. Spacemoth - Pipe and Pistol
Stereolab influnece is strong here with both the name and modular synth pop on offer
10. Jennifer Vanilla - Body Music
Art pop with an 80s tinge.
11. CTM ft. Coco_O & Ydegirl - Beige Barley
Trained Danish cellist produces austere and melancholy Scandinavian pop
12. Dilettante - Big Fish
Large swathes of Fiona Apple, Tuneyards type pop available here
13. DJ Failure - Want 2
New York DJ revisits the Detroit era techno with better than usual results.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Here's a track from Nils Frahm's new Autumn offering.

His first album since 2018’s All Melody it's set to be released on 23 September, it’s notable for its three-hour length and complete absence of piano.

Said to unfold “at an unhurried, meditative pace in a celebration of tone, timbre and texture,” Music For Animals was recorded between 2020 and 2022 at Frahm’s studio in Berlin’s Funkhaus complex.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here's a track from Nils Frahm's new Autumn offering.

His first album since 2018’s All Melody it's set to be released on 23 September, it’s notable for its three-hour length and complete absence of piano.

Said to unfold “at an unhurried, meditative pace in a celebration of tone, timbre and texture,” Music For Animals was recorded between 2020 and 2022 at Frahm’s studio in Berlin’s Funkhaus complex.

I’m looking forward to this…will be interesting for sure… I have also got a ticket to see him at Funkhaus in September.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Excellent news, Ólafur Arnalds has announced a piano rework version of his 2020 album Some Kind Of Peace, which will feature contributions from JFDR, Eydís Evensen and more.

Out in October.....excited doesn't begin to cover it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pure Reason Revolution are back with 'Above Cirrus', released today. I love this band. Prog mastery as far as I'm concerned.

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a loooong time.

Supported them at Concorde2 a lifetime ago. Still progging it up? Nice guys.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a loooong time.

Supported them at Concorde2 a lifetime ago. Still progging it up? Nice guys.

I probably saw you play that night! I wish I could remember to say definitively.

They took a fairly long hiatus after their third album, seven years or so, but the two albums they've released since getting back together are a cracking return to form.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I probably saw you play that night! I wish I could remember to say definitively.

They took a fairly long hiatus after their third album, seven years or so, but the two albums they've released since getting back together are a cracking return to form.

How funny. Sorry if a memory does come back to you - we were a bit shit at that point and on the verge of splitting up.

The drumming would've been good at least though, given it was Ben off of Royal Blood.

I'll give the new PRR stuff a listen. Remember getting The Dark Third a few months early and being a right smug little ****.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
How funny. Sorry if a memory does come back to you - we were a bit shit at that point and on the verge of splitting up.

The drumming would've been very good though, given it was Ben off of Royal Blood.

I'll give the new PRR stuff a listen. Remember getting The Dark Third a few months early and being a right smug little ****.

That first album holds a special place in my life. Got me through a really rough time.

Time to give it yet another spin

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That first album holds a special place in my life. Got me through a really rough time.

Time to give it yet another spin

I also saw them support Mew at C2 back in that sort of era. A very logical and perfectly chosen support act. Great gig.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here