Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2021

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Out on 26th March. Really looking forward to this!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Saxon have just released an album of cover versions called Inspirations, recorded during the past 12 months. It’s very clear the band had a hoot recording it. There’s a great version of Led Zeps Immigrant Song, plus songs by bands ranging from Motörhead and AC/DC to The Beatles and The Kinks. If you’re a fan of NWOBHM or rock in general it’s a nice listen. The last track is See My Friends, I get where they’re coming from. I recommend it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed in the Promises album. GP really waxing lyrical about it just now, but for me it's underwhelming.

The repeated arpeggio throughout constantly promises to deliver and yet never quite does. Highlights are clearly the Pharoah Sanders moments, but there's just not enough of them for my liking. And only very briefly does it really get going symphonically.

Maybe I need more listens. Late at night on the headphones will no doubt give it the best experience, but so far I'm not overly moved by it.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix can be listened to here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/sounds-of-the-airing-cupboard-64/

Tracklist:
1. Ronce - Voids
2. Surrealist Temple Band - International Women's Day
3. Treasury of Puppies - The Treasury of Puppies
4. Detour Doom Ensemble - Cadillac's Bones Cemetery
5. The Vovos - Temporary Solution
6. Negative Nancies - Monkey Chest
7. A/lpaca - I am Kevin Ayres
8. Tentenko - Ki-Iro
9. MA'AM - Moskov
10. Suzana Lascu - Fly Agaric
11. Dramas - Candy
12. De Lux - On and On (Until the End of Us)
13. Annie Achron - A+ Disintergration
14. Leschure - Phantoms of Gods

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My latest mix can be listened to here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/sounds-of-the-airing-cupboard-64/

Tracklist:
1. Ronce - Voids
2. Surrealist Temple Band - International Women's Day
3. Treasury of Puppies - The Treasury of Puppies
4. Detour Doom Ensemble - Cadillac's Bones Cemetery
5. The Vovos - Temporary Solution
6. Negative Nancies - Monkey Chest
7. A/lpaca - I am Kevin Ayres
8. Tentenko - Ki-Iro
9. MA'AM - Moskov
10. Suzana Lascu - Fly Agaric
11. Dramas - Candy
12. De Lux - On and On (Until the End of Us)
13. Annie Achron - A+ Disintergration
14. Leschure - Phantoms of Gods

Thanks for this. Stand outs for me were

Surrealist Temple Band - International Women's Day which reminds me of Disintegration Loops.
Negative Nancies - Monkey Chest - kind of art-punk Motown
De Lux - On and On (Until the End of Us) - post new wave?

Where do you find out about all this stuff?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Thanks for this. Stand outs for me were

Surrealist Temple Band - International Women's Day which reminds me of Disintegration Loops.
Negative Nancies - Monkey Chest - kind of art-punk Motown
De Lux - On and On (Until the End of Us) - post new wave?

Where do you find out about all this stuff?

Nearly a decade of following various record labels on Soundcloud and Bandcamp and to a lesser extent You Tube. I also trawl through all the new physical releases once a week on Bandcamp listening to anything that takes my fancy.

Thanks for listening, glad you picked a few bits up from it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just bought the Valerie June album from Resident and it is brilliant.

It’s Amy Winehouse meets Folk. Brilliant late night listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nearly a decade of following various record labels on Soundcloud and Bandcamp and to a lesser extent You Tube. I also trawl through all the new physical releases once a week on Bandcamp listening to anything that takes my fancy.

Thanks for listening, glad you picked a few bits up from it.

Thanks. I’m just curious as i realized I’d missed a number of album releases last year, some were new bands which I’d clearly like but worse was missing two bands/artists I know: Damaged Bug and Everything is Recorded. I am now reassessing how I find out about new bands and new releases.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Thanks. I’m just curious as i realized I’d missed a number of album releases last year, some were new bands which I’d clearly like but worse was missing two bands/artists I know: Damaged Bug and Everything is Recorded. I am now reassessing how I find out about new bands and new releases.

If you follow a record label or band across Soundcloud, Bandcamp and You Tube: you can check your stream on Soundcloud and subscriptions on You Tube for anything new on a daily basis and it won't take you more than 5 minutes. Bandcamp will notify you by email - in fact I just discovered today that Invada have issued a new Gazelle Twin single - though it can swamp your inbox on Fridays. I'll also add Your Release Radar on Spotify which is worth a check on a Friday for new releases from bands their algorithms think you like or have listened to before.

It's an inexact science as I still miss things but works to a degree. It is very much based on how much time do you want to spend on it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My die-cut sleeved coloured vinyl edition arrived yesterday....it’s quite an album isn’t?

5 star “extraordinary” Guardian review as well ——> https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...oah-sanders-lso-promises-review-extraordinary

As an aside I’ve been listening to William Doyle’s Great Spans of Muddy Time over the weekend as well.

Ordered this via Bandcamp today and currently have multiple goosebumps listening to the digital version. Amazing.

I'm on my third listen now. I still stand by some of the criticism I expressed earlier, but it is beginning to grow on me.

I still somehow feel like that repeated arpeggio throughout is taunting me. I'm not in the least bit flummoxed by repetition. I've listened to Gavin Bryers' - Jesus Blood, in full on many occasion. I love minimalism too from the usual suspects like Phillip Glass and Steve Reich. It had some memories of John Surman in there too. But the repeated phrase throughout Promises does just that....Promises, but always leaves me hanging somehow. Perhaps that's the exact point. But I want to be taken on more of a journey, and back again, like in a piece such as Nevertheless by Georgs Pelecis, as an example.

Anyway, I will persevere, as it is growing on me. There's more of Pharoah Sanders in there than I'd originally thought on first listen ( perhaps I was just hoping for a Pharoah Sanders full on assault, as I'm a fan) and the Symphonic moment does actually build quite nicely, although again, I still crave for more. I certainly wasn't with Gilles Peterson's waxing lyrical on first listen, but yes, it's certainly a keeper.

P.S. Following up the mention, and as he's a new artist to me, I listened to William Doyle's - Great Spans Of Muddy Time. Right from the opening I thought it was King Creosote under a different name for a minute. I also started off with huge hope, thinking I might have stumbled across another album like Diamond Mines. Well it didn't quite live up to that for me, but then that's a huge ask as that album is a massive favourite of mine, but I liked the album still. Thanks for the recommendation. I shall be checking out more of William Doyle as a result. :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey Herr Tubthumper!.... You've done me proud here on William Doyle :thumbsup:

I'm now having a William Doyle evening it seems. Listened to... Your Wilderness Revisited.... And now listening to...Near Future Residence.

Near Future Residence is my favourite by far, so far. I can't understand how I've missed this artist up until now. I've owned Harold Budd's...Pavilion of Dreams.... for donkey's years and listened to years of Late Junction ( and now Night Tracks) on Radio 3 throwing similar artists my way, and yet I never picked up on William Doyle before tonight.

Marvellous scenes!

Thank You!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey Herr Tubthumper!.... You've done me proud here on William Doyle :thumbsup:

I'm now having a William Doyle evening it seems. Listened to... Your Wilderness Revisited.... And now listening to...Near Future Residence.

Near Future Residence is my favourite by far, so far. I can't understand how I've missed this artist up until now. I've owned Harold Budd's...Pavilion of Dreams.... for donkey's years and listened to years of Late Junction ( and now Night Tracks) on Radio 3 throwing similar artists my way, and yet I never picked up on William Doyle before tonight.

Marvellous scenes!

Thank You!

An absolute pleasure. I have said on here many times before, one of the greatest things about music is discovering a new artist....and then finding out they have a significant back catalogue. It’s happened to me many times so I’m glad I can give something back.

He previously recorded as East India Youth and this was where I first came across him, Total Strife Forever is a great album imho. I was also lucky to see him live a couple of times. In fact, I’m going to go and listen to TSF now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you follow a record label or band across Soundcloud, Bandcamp and You Tube: you can check your stream on Soundcloud and subscriptions on You Tube for anything new on a daily basis and it won't take you more than 5 minutes. Bandcamp will notify you by email - in fact I just discovered today that Invada have issued a new Gazelle Twin single - though it can swamp your inbox on Fridays. I'll also add Your Release Radar on Spotify which is worth a check on a Friday for new releases from bands their algorithms think you like or have listened to before.

It's an inexact science as I still miss things but works to a degree. It is very much based on how much time do you want to spend on it.

Thanks for this. I’d never heard of Release Radar before but I am now aware Andy Stott and Jenny Hval have new material arriving soon. Now all the magazines and papers have died my current sources are Rough Trade and Resident mail shots, a couple of labels I follow (Kompakt and a subscription to Sacred Bones) The Guardian and friends and this thread. I have done okay but the recent misses made me want to add a few extra sources to my arsenal.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Thanks for this. I’d never heard of Release Radar before but I am now aware Andy Stott and Jenny Hval have new material arriving soon. Now all the magazines and papers have died my current sources are Rough Trade and Resident mail shots, a couple of labels I follow (Kompakt and a subscription to Sacred Bones) The Guardian and friends and this thread. I have done okay but the recent misses made me want to add a few extra sources to my arsenal.

Another thumbs up for release radar.

Discovered a few new bands / names thanks to it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

I also have mailshots from Resident but rarely go through them. Normans Records is good too and as a mail order only shop tend to have more obscure leftfield pieces than the more "mainstream" Resident. Another plus regarding Normans is they have stocked items from Europe that have now become more expensive due to Brexit - it may be worth looking for a German or European based equivalent who bulk buy in from the UK in order to keep the cost of your purchases down. Things like newspapers I don't bother with, they have limited space at the best of times and barely cover anything not given some PR before release.

As a heads up, the record label 4AD is releasing a compilation celebrating their 40th birthday whereupon their current rosta of artists cover a song from the label's back catalogue:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here