Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Women

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Obviously not the same scouting team as the men's first team.
I don’t think there’s a rich enough data set yet to apply the same model to the scouting process. I could be wrong, but I imagine it simply hasn’t been invested in in the same way that the men’s game has.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It’s not disgusting, it’s inconvenient. Haven’t the council made it their mission to find a home for the women’s team within the Brighton and Hove area?
It’s a shame. There was a pitch in Falmer that was free last night.

I know. Agreed set of matches to be played each year. Supposed cost of opening the stadium etc etc blah blah blah.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It’s a shame. There was a pitch in Falmer that was free last night.

I know. Agreed set of matches to be played each year. Supposed cost of opening the stadium etc etc blah blah blah.
As someone who'd like to see all Albion Women's home WSL games at the Amex, the League Cup numbers are still tiny.

1,050 for our QF last night. 731 watched Tottenham lose to Man City. Chelsea v Sunderland - no attendance announced yet.

The highest attendance of the 6 games in Albion's Group E which also contained West Ham, Birmingham and Charlton was 845.

Birmingham played both of their home group games at St Andrew's, capacity 29,409. The attendances were 588 and 781.

I doubt the numbers would've been significantly different last night if the game had been at the Amex.

Higher? Undoubtedly yes.
Enough to cover the additional costs? Unlikely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_FA_Women's_League_Cup

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Full disclosure my own exposure to womens football has really only been the England games but what I saw in the Villa game was a shockingly poor level. These are full time paid professionals but didnt look much better than mens Sunday league level. Is that normal below the elite few teams in the WSL?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Full disclosure my own exposure to womens football has really only been the England games but what I saw in the Villa game was a shockingly poor level. These are full time paid professionals but didnt look much better than mens Sunday league level. Is that normal below the elite few teams in the WSL?
Pretty much, from my brief experience too. It’s why Lewes U18’s beat Chelsea ladies 4-0 a few years ago

You can't really have a team based in Crawley and expect a huge amount of support and subsequent revenue from that, it's like their version of the Priestfield era. As soon as they are home, things will click into place, this is a period that just has to be endured and survived

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
As someone who'd like to see all Albion Women's home WSL games at the Amex, the League Cup numbers are still tiny.

1,050 for our QF last night. 731 watched Tottenham lose to Man City. Chelsea v Sunderland - no attendance announced yet.

The highest attendance of the 6 games in Albion's Group E which also contained West Ham, Birmingham and Charlton was 845.

Birmingham played both of their home group games at St Andrew's, capacity 29,409. The attendances were 588 and 781.

I doubt the numbers would've been significantly different last night if the game had been at the Amex.

Higher? Undoubtedly yes.

Regarding the numbers, I'd heard many fans stopped going due to the matches being moved to 12.00. Youth football is mainly played on Sundays, so getting there in time is no longer possible.
My daughters team are moving to Sundays next season, so we will have to cancel our season tickets too. ☹️

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Higher? Undoubtedly yes.

Definitely, wouldn’t want all of their games at The Amex, the pitch is fragile at the best of times.

However, the repatriation back to Brighton and Hove cannot come soon enough. The ladies need a purpose built stadium and hopefully the council can fast track this.

I actually do think they’ll be a significant lift in numbers and the atmosphere in a smaller stadium, that is packed could be a lift for the team.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Definitely, wouldn’t want all of their games at The Amex, the pitch is fragile at the best of times.

However, the repatriation back to Brighton and Hove cannot come soon enough. The ladies need a purpose built stadium and hopefully the council can fast track this.

I actually do think they’ll be a significant lift in numbers and the atmosphere in a smaller stadium, that is packed could be a lift for the team.
Therein lies the problem.

If people don't want an extra 10 WSL fixtures to be played on the Amex pitch (Albion Women currently play there once per season), but still want the Albion Women to be playing in Brighton in a facility big enough to allow for the potential of substantial fanbase growth, then where do they play in the meantime?

Albion fans know all too well how difficult it is to get a stadium approved and built and how long the process can take.

Something's gotta give, for now at least.

In the interests of both equality and simplicity, I'd propose the ready-made Amex option until the purpose-built stadium is open.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Therein lies the problem.

If people don't want an extra 10 WSL fixtures to be played on the Amex pitch (Albion Women currently play there once per season), but still want the Albion Women to be playing in Brighton in a facility big enough to allow for the potential of substantial fanbase growth, then where do they play in the meantime?

Albion fans know all too well how difficult it is to get a stadium approved and built and how long the process can take.

Something's gotta give, for now at least.

In the interests of both equality and simplicity, I'd propose the ready-made Amex option until the purpose-built stadium is open.
I’d go for Withdean as an interim or even consider making an agreement with Lewes.

Equality doesn’t come into this in terms of The Amex, because surely it’s down to a business decision? The Amex needs to remain in pristine condition and it won’t with an extra 11-15 games per season, I’m sure RdZ would not be pleased if the surface became unnecessarily bobbly.

I think we both want the same thing but it’s how we get there 👍

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You can't really have a team based in Crawley and expect a huge amount of support and subsequent revenue from that, it's like their version of the Priestfield era. As soon as they are home, things will click into place, this is a period that just has to be endured and survived
Arsenal women get an average of 18,000. If we invest and commit then we will see longer term returns. I agree with you.

The main problem with the Amex is the atmosphere is Moonbase Alpha given the ratio of stadium size to attendance - it's why I never bother going to Sussex Senior Cup finals any more. One plus of building a stadium of 5-10k on top of it being the making of the Brighton Women is you could have atmospheric county cup finals again too

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Amex pitch fragile, really?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Women playing Wolves at the Bucks Head [Telford] tomorrow [Sunday] which is only a mile from my place.
Do they travel up the night before as I've just seen a coach parked-up down my road [very unusual] close to the Hadley Park Hotel.

I'm cricket coaching tomorrow so a bit disappointed I can't attend.
Especially as my best mate's daughter is the Wolves skipper [Anna Morphet].
Is it being broadcast anywhere that I might be able to record?
If not, will just have to wait for the highlights ...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Every chance of another win against a lower league club which will be of no help when facing PL sides

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Is it being broadcast anywhere that I might be able to record?
If not, will just have to wait for the highlights ...
The match is on FAPlayer so the full match and highlights should be available after the game. Hopefully it will be a positive result for the ladies!

Kickoff is 1pm for anyone else who wants to watch. UTA!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here