Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Women

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
True but you have to remember if players are recruited from the lower leagues in to the WSL they would not have been full time before they joined so it not like recruiting a player from the men’s championship.
Fair point - But a good proportion of our team are from abroad?

Are some of those not professional?

The standard is historically better.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Who begrudges them? I've never heard anyone on here or elsewhere if honest.

Money in football is such a weird subject. I can never understand men that play on park pitches in the East Sussex League which is tier 12 in the pyramid yet some get paid for playing, maybe not a lot, but still paid. It's normally done by sponsorship by some mad local ego. As you move up you can look at Hastings, currently getting over 2000 fans regularly, they rightly pass on some of the money generated to the players.
Read the comment section after every female football match on BBC HYS, then you will understand

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Let's have some realistic expectation of what we expect of a female player earning 30/40k per annum.
I pay £120 for 3 season tickets and don't expect to see anything near the quality we see from Brightons men.
Plenty of Prem clubs have played terribly and been knocked out by clubs many leagues below them.
We are in transition, stay up, get the new ground and kick on.
I think we need to look at the coaching team who are not bringing on the players as they should be. Robinson looks half the player she was. Some youngsters not progressing as they should.
This to me along with other things points to issues with the backroom staff.
The figures quoted above are pulled north due to very high earners at the likes of Chelsea.
Your first point is odd. The amount they are paid will be comparable with other women in the game. Paying £200000 p/w won't change their ability. Your expectation would be to see some of the best women at the top table in this country, nothing to do with the men. We have been in the top league for a few seasons now, huge investment has been put into the infrastructure since our arrival.

The ground may help but it's not like we play a huge distance away. A 32 minute journey. Chelsea play at Kingsmeadow 8 miles from Stamford Bridge a 32 minute journey!

Back to earnings (putting aside Sussex CCC useless squad currently) the average county cricketer earns about £30000, they all need to work during the winter.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Read the comment section after every female football match on BBC HYS, then you will understand
OK never read it any longer as it's full of bigoted idiots.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Let's have some realistic expectation of what we expect of a female player earning 30/40k per annum.
I pay £120 for 3 season tickets and don't expect to see anything near the quality we see from Brightons men.
Plenty of Prem clubs have played terribly and been knocked out by clubs many leagues below them.
We are in transition, stay up, get the new ground and kick on.
I think we need to look at the coaching team who are not bringing on the players as they should be. Robinson looks half the player she was. Some youngsters not progressing as they should.
This to me along with other things points to issues with the backroom staff.
The figures quoted above are pulled north due to very high earners at the likes of Chelsea.
We seem to be changing the coach fairly regularly, so that’s not going to help.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m also not sure all the back room staff are full time either, or necessarily even employed by the Albion directly

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I dont know why mens football is mentioned. Nothing to do with it. I am amazed that at that very limited standard we may have 15 plus players on £40k plus say 10 plus full time staff. All with a following of 1500/2000 per game at £5/10 a ticket.
I think WPL insist all players must be full time but players of that standard and general interest dosnt justify this. No good saying womens football in England is young and will take time because we are getting players in from all over the world
The new manager has come from boys academy and should think it has been a real culture shock.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
They aren't
Your first point is odd. The amount they are paid will be comparable with other women in the game. Paying £200000 p/w won't change their ability. Your expectation would be to see some of the best women at the top table in this country, nothing to do with the men. We have been in the top league for a few seasons now, huge investment has been put into the infrastructure since our arrival.

The ground may help but it's not like we play a huge distance away. A 32 minute journey. Chelsea play at Kingsmeadow 8 miles from Stamford Bridge a 32 minute journey!

Back to earnings (putting aside Sussex CCC useless squad currently) the average county cricketer earns about £30000, they all need to work during the winter.
It isn't at all comparible. I believe Chelsea's highest paid player is on 400k upwards. That's probably the wages of around 8 of our players. We couldn't keep hold of the likes of Le Tissier who went to United for more money.
We won't see the quality seen at Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City etc as our wage structure won't compete. Then there is the pull of the club name.
A few thousand pounds extra a month is a lot in women's football.
It certainly won't change their ability, but it would attract and help to retain players.
Playing at a stadium in Brighton will help for sure. Crawley is a 30 minute commute from Brighton, but the potential catchment is much further afield. It is a 80 mile round trip for us. Crawley train station is 30 minute walk.
I'm sure we will get there, but it won't happen over night.
I won't debate that the recent performances have not been great, but we need to lower our expectations.
I have rather strong views around women's football. They get a lot of undeserved crap. It's hard for girls to get into footy in the first place, I'm personally trying to form a team, but none of the local teams are interested in having girls teams at their club despite plenty of girls wanting to play. 🙁

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They aren't

It isn't at all comparible. I believe Chelsea's highest paid player is on 400k upwards. That's probably the wages of around 8 of our players. We couldn't keep hold of the likes of Le Tissier who went to United for more money.
We won't see the quality seen at Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City etc as our wage structure won't compete. Then there is the pull of the club name.
A few thousand pounds extra a month is a lot in women's football.
It certainly won't change their ability, but it would attract and help to retain players.
Playing at a stadium in Brighton will help for sure. Crawley is a 30 minute commute from Brighton, but the potential catchment is much further afield. It is a 80 mile round trip for us. Crawley train station is 30 minute walk.
I'm sure we will get there, but it won't happen over night.
I won't debate that the recent performances have not been great, but we need to lower our expectations.
I have rather strong views around women's football. They get a lot of undeserved crap. It's hard for girls to get into footy in the first place, I'm personally trying to form a team, but none of the local teams are interested in having girls teams at their club despite plenty of girls wanting to play. 🙁
Shame we run 3 teams in Sedlescombe

Look for an FA Affiliated England Football Accredited Club.

Challenge them but also be prepared to fully run it yourself.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Women's FA Cup Quarter-Final Draw coming up on BBC1 shortly...

The Adobe Women's FA Cup quarter-final draw will be made on Monday 12 February, live on 'The One Show' on BBC1.

With fifth round proper ties taking place across the weekend, clubs will be aiming to be in the draw as the competition heads into its last eight.

The show starts at 7pm on Monday with the draw scheduled to take place at around 7.20pm, carried out by former England players Fara Williams, Alex Scott and Jermaine Jenas.

The quarter-final will take place on the weekend of Sunday 10 March 2024, with winning clubs collecting £90,000 from the competition prize fund and losing teams getting £45,000.

Ahead of the draw, you can see the ball numbers below.

1 Liverpool
2 Manchester City
3 Leicester City
4 Brighton & Hove Albion
5 Tottenham Hotspur
6 Everton
7 Manchester United
8 Chelsea

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Tottenham v Manchester City
Liverpool v Leicester City
Brighton and Hove Albion v Manchester United
Everton v Chelsea

At least it's at home this time.
Revenge for last year?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
True but you have to remember if players are recruited from the lower leagues in to the WSL they would not have been full time before they joined so it not like recruiting a player from the men’s championship.
Most of the Championship are also FT - including Lewes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here