Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Women Win 17-0 vs Worthing Town

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At Under-8 level you spend a season seeing which are the best and worst teams so by the time the Under-9 season starts there's a divisional structure based on ability. This is designed to avoid one team annihilating another team by a score of, say, 17-0.

This sort of outcome does the women's game a disservice. It's the football equivalent of the Dog and Duck playing Barcelona.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At Under-8 level you spend a season seeing which are the best and worst teams so by the time the Under-9 season starts there's a divisional structure based on ability. This is designed to avoid one team annihilating another team by a score of, say, 17-0.

This sort of outcome does the women's game a disservice. It's the football equivalent of the Dog and Duck playing Barcelona.

It is. But unfortunately it happens every year in the Sussex County Cup, as the Albion women's team play at a far higher level than all the village equivalents they come up against in the competition.

I'm pretty sure I played against them in the final or semi final one year, and they absolutely smashed us. They win it every year and it makes the competition a waste of time, as you get teams failing to fulfil fixtures against them because they know they'll be demolished, and it does nobody any good.

Nobody at the Albion ever seemed to consider fielding a reserve team, or making major changes, they just put the first team out and go for it from the first whistle. The Albion get absolutely no benefit from thrashing teams like this, and the opposition certainly don't from being on the receiving end. It makes the competition look like a joke.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Any live streams of the showers?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Begs the question.....what's the point? Does anyone get any pleasure or satisfaction from a score like that?

I've been on the wrong end of 17-0 licking. It was when our opponents hadn't turned up and the team on the next pitch had suffered a similar fate. They were several leagues above us but gave it a go - I don't think they got any pleasure from the game as they notably eased up in the last 20/25 minutes. I was normally left-back but played CB for that game and had a particularly miserable time of it.

Embarrassing 90 minutes all round but at least we both went into it knowing there was a gap in class

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I lost 19-0 when I was a kid in the Boys Brigade. Mind you it was team of 12 and 13 year old against a team of 16 and 17 year olds.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This is the real issue, particularly in kids football.

Our local kiddies football league agreed that results would be recorded and published for all fixtures as either 1-1 [draw] or 1-0 [win regardless of actual goals scored] for this very reason.

Good idea? I'm not convinced .......

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
When I played Under-10s football, our team managed to go through the entire season losing every single game, a few of them were around the 15-0 mark but there was a game where we took the lead and only lost 3-2. We never seemed to be too bothered about losing, it was quite good fun just playing.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Remember in a school match winning 17-1 whilst our B's beat there B's 13-0 as well.

Mind you, neither of there goalkeepers even had goalie gloves (and neither were keepers). And this was year 5/6 so matches weren't even close to the full 90 minutes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Worst I've had is losing 9-0, and that felt like they could score any time they wanted. Their keeper wanted in, so he swapped with an outfield player, dribbled round us all and scored.

Albion should only field reserves in these games, it's not sporting to send out the first team to annihilate a village team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here