[Albion] Albion v Liverpool (EPL - Sat 14 Jan 3pm)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm not convinced we will win but I'm absolutely convinced it will be one of the best games in the premier League this season. Can't believe sky or BT didn't pick this up.

Worth putting a bet on 4 or more goals in the game methinks.

Apart from the Chelsea game weve lost the rest at home under zerbi.....
i had to check this. Can't believe we've only had 1 win at home since RDZ joined.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
i had to check this. Can't believe we've only had 1 win at home since RDZ joined.
It's also not true what he said as we lost to Spurs, drew with Forest, beat Chelsea and lost to Villa and Arsenal. That doesn't equal "losing the rest" and is hardly appalling form. Villa was disappointing and Forest spoilt the game by parking the bus. It is true we have only won 1 out of 5 but three of those were against the fabled "big 6"

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just watched our 1981 home match v Liverpool ( commentator was the useless Stains supporting twat Bobin). Result was 2-2. I’d probably settle for the same result this coming Saturday, but (and I never thought I’d be able to say this) I think we’re a better team than them and will be disappointed not to win.

I’d forgotten that in the 1981 fixture Gordon Smith slotted our 2nd goal through the legs of Ray Clemence. He was a class player and it’s a shame he’s generally only remembered for his cup final miss.
He could play in this side I think.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's terrifying reading. Nice for our ego's but they've near universally written off their chances. We've kept one clean sheet in our last ten games and that was against a team in the bottom half of league one. With the attacking power they have they will score at least once and probably multiple times. We're going to most likely have to score three or more goals to win. Admittedly we've done that in six of those ten games...

I don't buy into the Albion being favourites narrative at all. I think it's just the scousers struggling with not being overwhelming favourites and the match being closer to 50-50. We could spank them, they could spank us, it could be the odd goal in seven or another 3-3. If I was a betting man the only thing I'd be confident about is that both teams will score and there'll be a high number of goals.

So 0-0 or 1-0 either way it is then...
Imho games are 9/10 won in midfield. Theirs is suddenly old and tired, whereas this is peak Albion ever.

Subject to RDZ making a huge too-clever-by-half first 11 error, I really see an Albion win.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Imho games are 9/10 won in midfield. Theirs is suddenly old and tired, whereas this is peak Albion ever.

Subject to RDZ making a huge too-clever-by-half first 11 error, I really see an Albion win.
I wish I shared your confidence!

We are often wide open to the counter. Even Middlesbrough had several really good opportunities on the counter. Liverpool will get them too regardless of how dominant we may or may not be in midfield and with their firepower they will take them.

We will need to be at our best because we will need to score multiple times to win. We can definitely do that - we've scored 3 or more goals in 6 of our last 10 games - but it's not a given. It's a game that could go either way and it could go either way by quite a large margin.

It should be a fantastic game and has the potential to be one of the best games in the league this season. I just don't have your confidence that we'll come out on the right side of it. I can't wait to watch it though.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
At home , I actually expected us to beat

Newcastle
A mis firing Spurs
a dreadful Forest
Villa
Arsenal ( draw more likely )

and yes , I think we might beat Liverpool.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wish I shared your confidence!

We are often wide open to the counter. Even Middlesbrough had several really good opportunities on the counter. Liverpool will get them too regardless of how dominant we may or may not be in midfield and with their firepower they will take them.

We will need to be at our best because we will need to score multiple times to win. We can definitely do that - we've scored 3 or more goals in 6 of our last 10 games - but it's not a given. It's a game that could go either way and it could go either way by quite a large margin.

It should be a fantastic game and has the potential to be one of the best games in the league this season. I just don't have your confidence that we'll come out on the right side of it. I can't wait to watch it though.
I think you'll be a happy supporter come 5pm Saturday.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Every year we have been in the Premier league I have expected us to lose this one or occasionally, if we are really on of our game, to get a point.

Saturday, I don't know whether we will win or lose, but I do expect it to be Glorious :albion2:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Every year we have been in the Premier league I have expected us to lose this one or occasionally, if we are really on of our game, to get a point.

Saturday, I don't know whether we will win or lose, but I do expect it to be Glorious :albion2:
Other than the 5-1, both CH and GP teams caused Liverpool lots of problems including at Anfiield. When others were being swept away. It must’ve been something to do with the high stakes attacking football from Klopp.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Other than the 5-1, both CH and GP teams caused Liverpool lots of problems including at Anfiield. When others were being swept away. It must’ve been something to do with the high stakes attacking football from Klopp.
I am looking forward to this so much !

I was going to apologise for jinxing it and ensuring a boring 0-0 draw, but at least I haven't said anything as stupid as the OP :wink:

el punal

With reference to midfield and your comment ‘this is peak Albion ever’, I would disagree. There’s no doubt we’re bloody good but I reckon we’ll be even better. When will that peak be? Probably the Champions League final in 2025! :wink:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We appear to struggle against teams who sit in and don't press high. The success of March and Mitoma is party due to space created which doesn't occur when teams defend deep.
Luckily I can't see Liverpool sitting in as Klopp likes the high press.
Quietly confident.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We appear to struggle against teams who sit in and don't press high. The success of March and Mitoma is party due to space created which doesn't occur when teams defend deep.
Luckily I can't see Liverpool sitting in as Klopp likes the high press.
Quietly confident.
Liverpool’s press has fallen away, the team/squad has aged, they lack the legs.

But he always plays attacking football, so it definitely won’t be like playing a time-wasting, cheating Villa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports