Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion succession planning

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The club will want someone who can confidently articulate themselves and can enhance the clubs growing brand around the world.

Liam Rosenior again jumps out. Having been passed over at Derby, in favour of Rooney, who clearly has inferior qualifications, Liam should be looking for his first role with another club when the chance arises.

I agree that Liam could well be one for the future, but his first managerial role needs to be a bit further down the pyramid, managing in the Premier League may come in time, but experience in the top job in the Football League would help immensely with his progression.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's very noticeable that since TB took over there has been some extremely long term planning with a few players who have come in saying we have been in touch with them for a long time (often over a year). I can't imagine Liam Rosenior didn't leave without a 'keep in touch', but needs some successful No 1 experience.

I would suspect that when GP goes (and hopefully not for a couple of years, at least) it will be a name that hasn't even been mentioned on this thread, but GP, PB and DA are already aware of.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Big Sam

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wonder if Potter will be in any rush to move on even if a stellar offer comes in? He has a long term contract with a stable employer where he will get time to implement his ideas and where he was able to bring in own coaches and recruitment guys. Does he get that at Spurs or indeed anywhere else?

If he does jump it'll be someone who can develop players, who is prepared to play youngsters and who plays progressive football. The established model at least for the next 5 years or so demands developing and selling on young players. A coach who makes players better is essential.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Frank Lampard, Phil Neville and Gareth Southgate I would assume are the big 3 in the running to replace Potter in however many years it will be until the job becomes available. I have a lot of respect for what Dan Ashworth has already done in terms of the squad building and pathway into the first team for the younger players.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wonder if Potter will be in any rush to move on even if a stellar offer comes in? He has a long term contract with a stable employer where he will get time to implement his ideas and where he was able to bring in own coaches and recruitment guys. Does he get that at Spurs or indeed anywhere else?

If he does jump it'll be someone who can develop players, who is prepared to play youngsters and who plays progressive football. The established model at least for the next 5 years or so demands developing and selling on young players. A coach who makes players better is essential.

Good point.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Frank Lampard, Phil Neville and Gareth Southgate I would assume are the big 3 in the running to replace Potter in however many years it will be until the job becomes available. I have a lot of respect for what Dan Ashworth has already done in terms of the squad building and pathway into the first team for the younger players.
Blimey, ^--- that is a grim list.

Lampard best of those 3.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

SURELY we can do better than that cross, or am I being whooshed?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I agree with this.

I get the point he left Swansea for us, but there were problems with the owners there.

Here he has the freedom and support to build for future. If a big name in the dressing room is causing trouble, he can kick them out and he's backed up by the club. He won't get that at Spurs or a comparable club. Even if the England job came up, I reckon he'd turn it down. (It would be a massive pay cut).

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think Glenn Murray has a lot of the attributes you'd look for in a manager though maybe he's looking more towards a media career.

I'd love to see him manager one day if the circumstances were right, but that day may be a long way away. I don't think he's a realistic successor to GP.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
SURELY we can do better than that cross, or am I being whooshed?

Maybe you are being whooshed. Maybe not

Neville would get nowhere near it. No PL chairman will give him a job.

Southgate. Not impossible if the timings aligned. Some similarities to GP in the way they carry themselves. Clearly work to be done in getting the fans and some of the players onside with this though.

Lampard. I expect would be on the shortlist

D

Deleted member 2719

I am not sure if you're joking?

If your serious, he surely go to have some sort of record to go into a massive club like ours, at present the CV would be shelved.

Nathan Jones, would stand more chance and has to be ahead of liams, by some distance.

Potter must be kept here, I can see him here for some time yet and I hope Tony is prepared to keep him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here