Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion succession planning

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When G Pott was installed, Dan Ashworth made the point of saying that he was on their radar as part of the club's succession planning. This, and the quite terrifying idea that John Terry might soon be given a job as a manager, got me thinking....who could possibly be on our managerial radar these days? Who will we call if Potter is captured by the Catalans? Who will be on the shortlist if Potter is poached by PSG? When he is tapped up by the Old Lady of Turin, to whom do we turn?

In short, which other managers could possibly fit in at Brighton?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Surely part of the reason that Lallana was bought in was to bring him through the coaching staff and eventually perhaps the top job. However i'd file this one under medium to long term. He'd need his coaching badges etc.

I'd also be surprised if the club still isn't in contact with Liam Rosenior. He's clearly thought of very highly. Again, medium term though. You wouldn't want him to be taking our job as his first one.

Then there's the picks which would tug at the heart strings. Bruno the prime example.

More than likely though it will be someone with no previous involvement with the club. Who will be available then? We can't know this at the moment. It's likely to be at least a year, probably more away so there is a limit to how much succession planning you can actually do.

TB and Ashworth will be looking for someone with a record of bringing through youth and a clear philosophy on playing style.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The correct answer is that NONE OF US know, but we do like to offer our view. My view is that to expect our next manager to arrive from within the club is extremely unlikely. This just doesn't happen at PL clubs. The only instance that I know of this happenning successfully is Guardiola at Barca, although there will no doubt be a few other examples pointed out, none of which will undermine the basic thrust of the argument.

That said, Bruno here especially is a good call, while I'd be surprised if Lallana doesn't become a manager somewhere.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But, as you raise this, I'm somewhat concerned that the Potter OUT lot will have their wishes granted this summer, as he's poached by a club that expects to beat 'Teams like Brighton'. Spurs spring to mind immediately.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But, as you raise this, I'm somewhat concerned that the Potter OUT lot will have their wishes granted this summer, as he's poached by a club that expects to beat 'Teams like Brighton'. Spurs spring to mind immediately.

Doesn't Potter have 5 years remaining on his contract?

I reckon Levy will baulk at the cost

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes I think he has, and the second point isn't really relevant to mine but, even if it was, I don't think he would: getting a new manager is a lot cheaper than most PL players; and I suspect the cost of discarding the current incumbent would be far more expensive than poaching Potter for Levy

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Felice Mazzu at Union SG will certainly be considered - in effect he is having a stringent ongoing interview process.

Whether he'd be chosen in the end remains to be seen if, or indeed when, the question needs to be answered.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure about the whole 'bringing the youth through' element, but Russell Martin seems to have MK Donks playing 'the right way' – including that goal made up of about 375 passes the other day.

Might be a bit of a left-field choice, but you never know :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
First name that jumped into my head as well. Failing that, Big Sam will be looking for a new PL gig next season, will keep the #PotterOuters happy.

With Pardew as assistant and Pulis u23 coach

There are trousers being unzipped at the thought of it

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The structure at the club is set up for a Coach, the recruitment team are constantly identifying and analysing potential signings allowing the gaffer to concerntrate on player development including mental and physical attributes. One thing is certain we will want someone who is happy to play inexperienced players and turn raw talent into superstars

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The club will want someone who can confidently articulate themselves and can enhance the clubs growing brand around the world.

Liam Rosenior again jumps out. Having been passed over at Derby, in favour of Rooney, who clearly has inferior qualifications, Liam should be looking for his first role with another club when the chance arises.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Aidy Boothroyd is (surely) going to be looking for work soon?

Used to working with youngsters...

Known to Dan Ashworth...

:eek:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Potter won't be going anywhere this summer, and certainly not to a team like Tottenham, whilst true that Mourinho's position maybe under scrutiny, any new incumbent will need to have a much fuller CV, someone with proven success if you like.

Let's not forget Graham Potter, however promising he may be, is still managing a club that has been skirting with relegation for much of the season, as is still very inexperienced at Premier Leage level. Spurs fans, (or those of all of the top clubs), would be far from happy if he was appointed as their new manager.

If we perform better next season, force our way up into mid table, then who knows? maybe things might change, but as things stand, l can't see any clubs of the ilk of Tottenham Hotspur showing an interest in employing him.

Besides which their are other managers of so called, lowly Premier League clubs, that are doing very well, Ralph Hasenhuttl and Nuno Esperito Santo being just two, even David Moyes at West Ham has done well this season. Graham Potter isn't the only promising manager around.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

When the European bidding war starts, I expect Spurs to exit quite quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here