Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion spotted in Amsterdam already!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Airports have queues this thread should focus more on the exciting things like spliffs and prostitutes than queues!
Judging by the amount of leaving 5 minutes before final whistle, and train platform threads created on NSC, I think it was inevitable queues would be foremost in some folks minds and get a mention at some point.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Just last week I went to Stockholm. On arrival, EU passengers whooshed through. Max wait time 5min. UK travellers from two planes spread across four or so lanes, with every passport checked, every passenger questioned.
Sorry to continue with queue chat, but I'm genuinely interested in this detail.
What we're they asking you? I don't remember ever being asked any questions at a border crossing (Airport, ferry, rail, bus) pre or post brexit, whether I was entering an EU country or not.

Incidentally, last time I went to Stockholm my mate and I got so fed up waiting to go through the EU queue (this would have been May 2016) we got bored and walked through the non-EU gate.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I'd really love to hear specific examples from you to back this up.

I mean, I've been on two cross-channel ferries post-Brexit and the wait to get through passport control in France has easily doubled.

Previously, Brits were waved through. Now every passenger has to be checked, passports stamped etc. That obviously takes extra time.

Just last week I went to Stockholm. On arrival, EU passengers whooshed through. Max wait time 5min. UK travellers from two planes spread across four or so lanes, with every passport checked, every passenger questioned. We waited at least 45min in a queue.

Also, "security almost always a pig"? I once travelled to Greece on the day my passport expired and (after 15min questioning/checks) was allowed to fly back on an expired passport!

It was blatantly much easier and quicker to travel in the EU when we were part of it. Only a fool would suggest otherwise.
I haven't taken a ferry since Brexit.

Some of the longest waits I have experienced in recent years, have been getting through passport 'loss of' control inbound at both Heathrow and Bristol......

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
IMG_20231108_171239.jpg
Amsterdam in sight ... Roll call of bars for an (almost) local seagull to join for drinks

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What we're they asking you? I don't remember ever being asked any questions at a border crossing (Airport, ferry, rail, bus) pre or post brexit, whether I was entering an EU country or not.

Incidentally, last time I went to Stockholm my mate and I got so fed up waiting to go through the EU queue (this would have been May 2016) we got bored and walked through the non-EU gate.
The last couple of years I've been asked every time if I'm travelling for business or pleasure, where I'm staying, when I'm leaving etc. Maybe I look dodgy though, although it never happend pre Brexit, at least in the EU.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The last couple of years I've been asked every time if I'm travelling for business or pleasure, where I'm staying, when I'm leaving etc. Maybe I look dodgy though, although it never happend pre Brexit, at least in the EU.
It'll be the massive cuddly toy you're
holding with the obvious bits of stuffing hanging out, and the kalashnikov.

Edit: seriously though, at Dieppe the other week all I got was "Bonjour" and they stamped it.
Logically the time I entered Turkey on a bus I must have had some chat because you have to pay some money for the entry visa, but that was over 10years ago and at about 12am so my memory is a bit hazy.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I've got a starling account, only use it and accompanying mastercard debit when travelling, I think Monzo also same.

Mastercards Interbank exchange rate, no foreign exchange/currency fees, no foreign spread and free ATM withdrawal (from starling).

Revolut also does, but limits max withdrawal amount on free account.

One click transfer money from normal HSBC account to starling and best exchange rate possible and use like normal card when abroad.

Was the initial reason I opened a Starling account 👍🏻

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011

From my experience you'll likely only be questioned when entering richer EU countries like the nordics

When I've entered Greece, Spain etc after Brexit I just get stamped and go through. Finland and Sweden EVERY time I've been questioned how long I'm staying, purpose of trip and sometimes asked to show boarding pass

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here