Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Shares for Sale. £1 each.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Why is the idea of fans holding shares in the club they support being seen as a stunt?

I would like to see TB offering some as well.

Suggest you take those blue and white tinted spectacles off and take a step back. This has got nothing to do with the fans being shareholders. This is DK parting two fingered salute to TB and a very ordinary marketing ploy to the people who would probably have bought his book anyway.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Anyone else getting ever so slightly fed up with Mr Knight here?

And I say this as a good friend of his son.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I can't help thinking this isn't as charitable act as it would first appear.
As SS says you've got the book tie-in.

But also, DK owns a million pretty much worthless shares and sells them for £1, surely they have more value than worth.

God help the AGM, many Albion fans need less entitlement not more.

Won't the club have to send reports out to all share holders?
Crikey,... as closed minded a view as you would ever see on here.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Suggest you take those blue and white tinted spectacles off and take a step back. This has got nothing to do with the fans being shareholders. This is DK parting two fingered salute to TB and a very ordinary marketing ploy to the people who would probably have bought his book anyway.

I'm struggling to see it as a two-fingered salute to TB. If it is, it's a pretty feeble behind-your-back / under-the-table / with fingers-crossed salutes, because in the great scheme of things, it doesn't amount to much.

You're right in the other sense, it is a marketing wheeze, but that's Dick for you.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I would suggest that NSC register an interest as a consortium, although the shirt sponsorship is struggling to get to its target at the moment, will a share ownership initiative fall short too?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Whether or not some see offering the shares as a stunt or not, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, the idea of fans owning shares is far from being a silly idea.

So if the only shares available are DK's that means that no more than 10% will be available but even that small number, spread over a wide ownership will provide a greater level of openness in the clubs management.

Changes to the constitution will have to be notified and voted on, (TB owns more than 75% of the equity so they would pass but at least the changes would be public) - the same would apply to director appointments and salaries - groups of 100 or more shareholders each owning more than £100 of shares could call directors to a shareholders meeting to answer questions - any new share offerings would have to be offered to existing shareholders at the same time in the same proportion - this obviously wasn't a viable option for the small number of existing shareholders when the club released the additional millions of shares bought by TB which increased his shareholding above the magic 75%, it may have been if there had been thousands of small shareholders.

Even a small proportion of the shares like those apparently on offer would help protect the club - if investing in BHAFC is good enough for TB then it's good enough for me.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
Well Dicks putting the cats amongst the pigeons! Whilst on the face of it it does put some power to tye fans but at the end of the day its not. I would suggest that all fans who take up the ooffer that a representative is 'elected'. I cant help but think of someone like Paul Samrah. The reality is that to have even 10,000 fans turn up for an EGM would be national news. Id say this is good for us but it needs a single voice to represent 'us'.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
An enemy of mine who is a drinking buddy of Chippy told me that the shares are being bought by a geezer called Al Hamedi. The word on the street is that this guy is looking to takeover the club over the coming months. A card game has been arranged on Christmas eve at The Grand. Michael Owen will referee the contest. If Al Hamedi is successful his future objectives are to: 1) Change our name to Brighton Rock for overseas marketing purposes. 2) Change our home strip to stars and stripes. 3) Finally, to relocate the club to Brighton, USA.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well Dicks putting the cats amongst the pigeons! Whilst on the face of it it does put some power to tye fans but at the end of the day its not. I would suggest that all fans who take up the ooffer that a representative is 'elected'. I cant help but think of someone like Paul Samrah. The reality is that to have even 10,000 fans turn up for an EGM would be national news. Id say this is good for us but it needs a single voice to represent 'us'.

There would be no real power for the small shareholder apart from knowledge - which can of course be one of the most potent of weapons.

I don't see a need for a 'representative' for small shareholders as no matter how many may join the group their voice would have no more influence, maybe less, than lots of small voices.

"A supporter's representative supported/objected/proposed xyz"
"10,000 supporters supported/objected/proposed xyz"

Which of the above has the greater impact?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Crikey,... as closed minded a view as you would ever see on here.
Just my reaction to the story after I'd thought beyond, 'wow that's excellent me and the kids are in'.

I don't see it as closed minded.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I would suggest that NSC register an interest as a consortium, although the shirt sponsorship is struggling to get to its target at the moment, will a share ownership initiative fall short too?
God only knows how often I've tried to contact the right people at NSC to donate to the shirt fund, No replies to date.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Given how small the overall percentage is that is for sale it can hardly be a two fingered salute. I'd also be very surprised if TB didn't know about it before the announcement. It's marketing fluff - hardly surprising given DK's background. It also allows for fans to "own" part of the club - albeit a completely useless ownership.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

If I bought any shares I certainly would not have someone representing me or doing anything in my name.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given how small the overall percentage is that is for sale it can hardly be a two fingered salute. I'd also be very surprised if TB didn't know about it before the announcement. It's marketing fluff - hardly surprising given DK's background. It also allows for fans to "own" part of the club - albeit a completely useless ownership.

That's pretty much how I see it. I would not expect to say in the club for my token shareholding in the club, Tony Bloom is welcome to my proxy vote.

It is indeed just a little bit of marketing fluff and nothing else. Dick has a book to sell and in this day and age you need to employ a variety means to get publicity of which this is just one.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The shares are worthless, so for DK to sell them for a pound each is a bit naughty.

If, however, he said that all the money raised from the sale of the shares was going to be given to a worthwhile cause, then it would be a nice way of raising money for a charity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here