Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Albion rebuilding may spill over into season"

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Players won't make decisions until they have to, unless they get an offer better than they're highly unlikely to beat (according to their agent because footballers can't think for themselves anymore). So until the window gets shut before the season starts every club in the land will be unprepared to some extent. The very wealthiest excluded. As usual. BHA are also handicapped by not especially savvy recruitment personnel it would appear, which further restricts our ability to build a full team before the season starts.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
We seem to like playing the "let's see if what we've got can get us anywhere" before we make too many new signings card in the last few seasons.

Due to long term injuries of some players they'll pull the Player A and B will be like new signings card. Thus adding those players names to the mix of players we'll be able to call on this season it makes it seem like we've got a lot more new players to look forward too.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
People on here forget that The Argus knows just as much as the average Joe. I wouldn't take that as bible, I would hedge a bet on 2 new signings before the start of the season and then a further 2 Premiership loans by the time the top tier have trimmed their squads. Most clubs in this league are in the same boat, prices are ridiculously inflated until the panic button is hit for players who foresee a season on the bench. Given the choice I would personally wait it out, and see whats available from the top tier before spending £2.5 million on an overrated Blackburn midfielder.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ah well.
Anyone know where I can place a bet on the number of goals we will score in August? I'm going for nought. :(

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

We have been on the other thread :)

Really?

No - like most I hope, the anticipation of the new season is building nicely, and I'm really looking forward to it all starting again.

I think, if anything, it's not a case of the club looking to 'do it on the cheap' but are being quite ambitious in their aspirations and, as such, that presents challenges with getting players in nice and quickly. Both Jahanbakhsh and Marshall seem like just the sort of exciting attacking players we are all crying out for but, because they are, they are not easy deals to get over the line. With so much transfer business done late on these days, they/their agents/their existing clubs see no rush in concluding deals.

The fact that 3 of our 4 signings to date were completely out of the blue is also encouraging. It means that something could be announced at any time at all.

Quite.

We could field a reasonable but not world beating first XI if the league started tomorrow. Yes Derby and Boro have done deals early but most others haven't. We have only brought in international class since Hughton arrived (allowing for Resenior being an ex seasoned England Under 21) and the names we are linked with are decent.

The flip side is we have little squad strength, two very predictable wingers and are paper thin at Centre Back.

Could go either way IMHO

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Firstly, we are clearly in better shape than this time last season. We are stronger in goal, at fullback, in midfield and upfront. Centreback is not the hardest position to recruit.

Secondly, I am worried about Crofts. He is always fit "next week". Anything we see of him will be a bonus.

PG

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm more concerned with WHO we bring in, rather than when. As long as at the conclusion of our transfer activity we have improved the squad then I will be happy. If you think we are frustrated imagine be the club representative having to deal with twats like Alireza's agent and Blackburn's deluded manager.

Whilst we do not have all the pieces in place right now to sustain us throughout the season, we have a decent base if we (and it's a big IF) can keep everyone fit. I'm pleased that Baldock is back and looks likely to play upfront for a change. Looking forward to getting a look at Tomar this eve, he should be an upgrade on CMS. Rosenior has definitely upgraded the defence and Bong could hopefully do the same. As for midfield it's looking solid.

The squad is still way too short on depth, but I believe it is a better one than that which started last season. I do not think anyone would be surprised that we have to wait until near deadline to complete all our deals, as that is the moment where we have the leverage in negotiations.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a job don't forget, would you work for Palarse if they were offering you $10 000 a week more than Brighton.
Their ground may be a **** hole, but think of how lovely your house and bank account would be.
The days of local players showing loyalty is long gone, it's all about the wages deals.

But you'd think we ought to be vaguely competitive. Your example of a difference of $10k a week more is disingenuous. I'd be worried if ALL our major targets were being offered that much more to play for broadly similar sized clubs. Sure, some might do that for some players, but as [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] says, we seem to find it "cripplingly difficult" to persuade any of our targets to come here.

And I take issue with your conclusion that "it's all about the wage deals". It isn't, as Wayne Bridge proved. And assuming wages are important, there are professional northerners (and southerners) all over the place. Adam Le Fondre, for example, wants to move up north. If we offered him 10k a week and Bolton offered him 8.5k a week, he'd probably still go there. Money isn't absolutely everything.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

The solution is simple really. We just need to be prepared to pay the going rate for quality players, and stop being so bloody tight-fisted. It's called speculating to accumulate.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Firstly, we are clearly in better shape than this time last season. We are stronger in goal, at fullback, in midfield and upfront. Centreback is not the hardest position to recruit.

Secondly, I am worried about Crofts. He is always fit "next week". Anything we see of him will be a bonus.

PG

I'd rather see very little of him - way, way past his best in my view and slow to boot.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The solution is simple really. We just need to be prepared to pay the going rate for quality players, and stop being so bloody tight-fisted. It's called speculating to accumulate.

Ahhh but here be the problem......

All players are over priced at the moment especially when you are perceived as a rich club, with a shiny new stadium and training ground. I am sure they whack up the price like any club would. It is not a case of being tight fisted it is a case of not being ripped off and making sure you get value for money and not risking the clubs future. I for one would prefer a stable club rather than a club that tumbles down through the leagues because of over stretching ourselves.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Ahhh but here be the problem......

All players are over priced at the moment especially when you are perceived as a rich club, with a shiny new stadium and training ground. I am sure they whack up the price like any club would. It is not a case of being tight fisted it is a case of not being ripped off and making sure you get value for money and not risking the clubs future. I for one would prefer a stable club rather than a club that tumbles down through the leagues because of over stretching ourselves.

You may get your wish. We'll be tumbling down the leagues soon enough with the current squad.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
We've signed replacement full backs, another keeper and a forward.

We have March, Crofts and Baldock coming back into the side.

Stephens has come back from his injury and had a run in the side at the end of last season.

It looks like there might be a couple of the dev squad moving up.

And we are still in the market for a couple of players.

Hyppia isn't in charge.

More importantly..................We have Kayal!!!

Generally I think the squad looks in much better shape than it did this time last season. We aren't (currently) chock full of injuries, so it doesn't bother me that the squad isn't complete. We need depth, but that tends to be an issue as the season progresses not necessarily in the first few months.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Always does, always will. Nothing to discuss really. Just depends to what EXTENT the business is unfinished. Go in as we are and we could be in for a(nother) VERY barren August.

Exactly this. I've said on here a number of times that Barber / Burke both said at one of our supporters clubs meetings that it's inevitable. Like a chain of houses when buying, one deal has a domino effect on shit loads of others and it usually goes through late in August. Always will happen. Problem for us is our lack of business over the last few weeks as we clearly need a lot more players top be mid table even...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We've signed replacement full backs, another keeper and a forward.

We have March, Crofts and Baldock coming back into the side.

Stephens has come back from his injury and had a run in the side at the end of last season.

It looks like there might be a couple of the dev squad moving up.

And we are still in the market for a couple of players.

Hyppia isn't in charge.

More importantly..................We have Kayal!!!

Generally I think the squad looks in much better shape than it did this time last season. We aren't (currently) chock full of injuries, so it doesn't bother me that the squad isn't complete. We need depth, but that tends to be an issue as the season progresses not necessarily in the first few months.

Your post has just made me feel more confident! However, the cynic in me says that people make that exact same post (with other names obviously) every season. Including last season...!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Our summers are not great.

We assumed last years would be better due to stability but wasn't.

We all assumed this one would be and this was backed up by words.

Everyday for the last few weeks most of us have logged on half expecting exciting news. It doesn't happen oh well there is tomorrow. Now we get this article. Its a bit of a kick in the bollocks lets be honest.

We can only hope for a couple of quality additions before forest or we are going to struggle until we strengthen. Pretty sure on that.

Still hopeful but its the hope that kills you isn't it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who remembers the days of Shaun Wilkinson and Dan Marney? Wearing Brighton shirts and playing in the Championship..

Irrespective as to where comments like this come from.
Today's it's you, usually it the club "we've spent the most money in Albion history...", they are so unbelievably false, they are ridiculous.

Comments grouping the Albion as a whole need some sort of Before Amex and After Amex suffix.

Nobody compares a 40 year old Eastern European Skoda with a brand new Octavia.
It's exactly the same with the Albion.

Before Amex the minimum return was league football.
After Amex the minimum return is Championship football.

Just by saying 'everything was shite', doesn't instantly make everything better now.

The club is slowly edging towards talking premier league but acting like a fly by night operation out of some decrepit athletics 'stadium'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure a couple of NSCers relaying back to us what a lovely guy Paul "£450k p.a." Barber is for replying with a lengthy email (to something fairly inconsequential to the rest of us) will very much allay our fears that they're not working ruddy hard to get some good players in.

This is the thing isn't it. The club are always at pains to tell us how hard they are working to identify their targets, and all the scouting processes they have in place to sign exactly the right kind of player for the squad. And of course we're constantly reminded just how impossibly difficult it is to sign a player (although we are, of course, assured that the manager does have a competitive budget). But eventually, after all the scouting, and all the difficulties in securing a deal, we end up with a squad stuffed with complete and utter BILGE like Toko, Kemi and COG. And then the loans begin....

Its wearing a little thin now, to say the least. I'm not at the self-harming stage just yet, and we're not quite as half-baked as we were this time last year, but rather than telling us how hard it is to sign anyone, the club really needs to start backing up all their talk of "ambition" with some PROVEN quality for this division, fairly sharpish.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This is the thing isn't it. The club are always at pains to tell us how hard they are working to identify their targets, and all the scouting processes they have in place to sign exactly the right kind of player for the squad. And of course we're constantly reminded just how impossibly difficult it is to sign a player (although we are, of course, assured that the manager does have a competitive budget). But eventually, after all the scouting, and all the difficulties in securing a deal, we end up with a squad stuffed with complete and utter BILGE like Toko, Kemi and COG. And then the loans begin....

Its wearing a little thin now, to say the least. I'm not at the self-harming stage just yet, and we're not quite as half-baked as we were this time last year, but rather than telling us how hard it is to sign anyone, the club really needs to start backing up all their talk of "ambition" with some PROVEN quality for this division, fairly sharpish.
We do seem to have a problem paying the going rate for attacking players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here