Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Its all down to the F****ng agents, if they offer to pay him k40 a week then he will go, but they will have to meet TB's valuation.
Hopefully TB asks for 12 Mill.
Good as Knocky is, if he wants k40/week, then let him go, we dont need another Bridcutt senario.
12 mil is good business when you make about 10 mill profit.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I would reluctantly take £12million and turn a profit on the proviso that we re invest the whole lot on the team,we don't have to break wage structures and so forth but i would expect in return 3, £4m players to be coming to the Amex in return.

Perhaps a view that's a little simplistic but i am against unhappy players being here and if he gets his head turned,we should sell.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Cannot be stated enough,clubs serious about promotion DO NOT sell to direct rivals.

Agreed, but if the player wants to go, do you keep hold of an unhappy player, ala Bridcutt,or do you put a value on him that is extortionate, and the mugs are the club that are willing to pay the valuation.
His heart aint in it so get what you can for him.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I would reluctantly take £12million and turn a profit on the proviso that we re invest the whole lot on the team,we don't have to break wage structures and so forth but i would expect in return 3, £4m players to be coming to the Amex in return.

Perhaps a view that's a little simplistic but i am against unhappy players being here and if he gets his head turned,we should sell.

This. Plus 3 million add on if Newcastle were to go strait back up.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Cannot be stated enough,clubs serious about promotion DO NOT sell to direct rivals.
Exactly.

If we don't even have enough ambition to refuse to sell to direct rivals, then we might as well give up on this season, and Tony can look forward to yet another year of financial loss.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cannot be stated enough, clubs really serious about promotion WILL GET BIDS from their direct rivals and turn them down.

Hmm I wonder if Wednesday and Derby being the clubs most similar to us, in current stature and ambition, have both had bids on three of their best players?

I cannot believe that all this attempted poaching by other clubs hasn't had an effect on our squad. We really are being targeted as a club that may sell it's assets IMO.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Exactly.

If we don't even have enough ambition to refuse to sell to direct rivals, then we might as well give up on this season, and Tony can look forward to yet another year of financial loss.

But it is all to do with the player and his agent.If Newcastle offer Knocky k50 a week, do you seriously believe he wont have his head turned and want it?
As much as he loves BHAFC, k50 a week would be a big pull when we are only paying k15/k20 a week. The same applies to Dale Stevens, so TB has to get what he can for them, even if he dosnt want them to go.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But it is all to do with the player and his agent.If Newcastle offer Knocky k50 a week, do you seriously believe he wont have his head turned and want it?
As much as he loves BHAFC, k50 a week would be a big pull when we are only paying k15/k20 a week. The same applies to Dale Stevens, so TB has to get what he can for them, even if he dosnt want them to go.
If I were the billionaire owner of the albion I would not have this defeatest attitude towards retaining players.

A contract is a contract, and if I didn't want to sell I'd look the Newcastle guy in the eye and tell him.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If I were the billionaire owner of the albion I would not have this defeatest attitude towards retaining players.

A contract is a contract, and if I didn't want to sell I'd look the Newcastle guy in the eye and tell him.

And have a Bridcutt senario where he dosnt want to play for the club and they sit out their contract in the reserves. Brilliant

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And have a Bridcutt senario where he dosnt want to play for the club and they sit out their contract in the reserves. Brilliant
If need be. Better result than letting a direct rival just waltz in and take any player they want.

Sometimes courage is needed. Sometimes financial bullys need to be faced down.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If need be. Better result than letting a direct rival just waltz in and take any player they want.

So better then getting £10/12 mil for a player that refuses to play for you and make a £10 mil profit.
You have different principles than me.

I love Knocky and dont want to lose him, but if we do, lets get what we can for him

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So better then getting £10/12 mil for a player that refuses to play for you and make a £10 mil profit.
You have different principles than me.

I love Knocky and dont want to lose him, but if we do, lets get what we can for him

Yes, better. Making a stand is worth more, making clubs in our own division realise we are no soft touch. We look them in the eye, and deal with them as equals. We don't roll over.

Deny the player to Newcastle. If he doesn't play for us, neither does he play for them. We have 3 years to get a fee for him from a club outside the championship.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

That's not a scenario that has happened yet though. His tweeting and posts on certain things suggest he is still happy here and excit ed to start the new season. He is going to be aware of the interest for sure but unless he really kicks up I would keep him here. We have 30 or so days left to remain strong. I think if Newcastle get another firm no they will move on to the next target. He is as good a player in this league and although we could buy 3-4 4 million pound players with the money I doubt any will be a match winner alone which AK is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports