Albion interested in Cardiff Striker Joe Mason

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm very confident we will 'replace' any key player we lose. Mason for Barnes sound good to me, especially if we get Conway back.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Mason is very ordinary but a better bet than Conway.

If he's better than Conway then he'll be great. Barnes is no world beater.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So is it Ob-Ik-A or O-Bike-A or Oh-Beek-A? This is IMPORTANT.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I like the sound of this. get Mason in permanently, not a loan and also use the money from Barnes to get Conway back. sad to see Barnes go.
Also no need to replace Bridcutt so a bit of cash in the attic for the summer.

Why are we waiting for the summer, we're on the cusp of the play offs? If we cock it up again we could lose PIG and Ulloa too in the summer, then we will have a seriously average squad.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I suspect it will be harder to replace Barnes than some on here imagine. Ok he is a marmite player and far from being the perfect player but there is no questioning his passion and willingness to give 100% for The Albion.

By comparison I am very wary of just how committed Obika would be following a series of loans in which he has not inspired a permanent deal. He would need to go some to show the same commitment as Barnes. I hope to be proved wrong.

Mason isn't exactly tearing up trees either.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Although I would suggest the likes of Conway (welsh club), Mason (welsh club) and Obika (Yeovil, Jones' former club) are very much Nathan Jonessignings, not Oscar. Not that there's any problem with that.

If Oscar approves them - as I'm sure he has/would - they're his signings, regardless of who found/recommended them.

I very much doubt Alex Ferguson found m/any players himself. That's what scouts are for.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Oscar approves them - as I'm sure he has/would - they're his signings, regardless of who found/recommended them.

I very much doubt Alex Ferguson found m/any players himself. That's what scouts are for.

Someone above said it's good to see Oscar getting rid of "Gus" signings and getting his signings in. They're his signings in that from a list of a few players he's gone: ok, that one.

That's not his signing, is it?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Someone above said it's good to see Oscar getting rid of "Gus" signings and getting his signings in. They're his signings in that from a list of a few players he's gone: ok, that one.

That's not his signing, is it?

No it's really not. It's like having pick between a punch in the face or a kick in the nuts. Both rubbish but you have to have one of them.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
someone above said it's good to see oscar getting rid of "gus" signings and getting his signings in. They're his signings in that from a list of a few players he's gone: Ok, that one.

what?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Ermm....I don't know how else to explain it. It was in English and everything, and the chap 2 comments above your last one understood it perfectly...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Ermm....I don't know how else to explain it. It was in English and everything, and the chap 2 comments above your last one understood it perfectly...

Hang on - got it. You mean:

They're his signings in that, from a list of a few players, he's gone 'Ok, that one'.

Anyway, yes, that's what a "manager's signings" means - at any club.

The usual exceptions are when the owner insists on a particular signing, or a director of football makes the decisions on transfers. The situation on the latter is unclear at the Albion, I think?

So let's just say they're...

Nathan Jones/scouts - findings
Oscar Garcia - signings
David Burke - approvals

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports