Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion give up on promotion!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Barnes will do well at Burnley but he is not irreplaceable. He worked hard and was a fantastic team player (apart from his obvious disaplinary flaws). However hard work alone does not win you games. As striker go would love us to look at Nakhi Wells.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
No comment can be made on the state of our promotion ambitions until the window closes. When we've done whatever transfer business is done, and we know the shape of the squad until season's end at least, that's the time to proffer your opinion on whether the club's 'given up' on promotion. Until then, it's pretty pointless.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
So many undervalue Barnes and he will do well at Burnley and, indeed, is quite capable of playing at the next level. And he is still young and still developing.
However he has clearly told the club he will not sign a new deal and on that basis we are right to sell him.

Now let's watch Obika fly :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can you imagine the Binfest on here when the Football league show's 30 second summaries show Barnes with a 100% conversion rate :lolol:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Barnes wasnt signing a new contract despite several offers - a club wanted to buy him - so we have cashed in so we dont "do a Murray".......again.

Simple as that.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
A pointless OP. Better get something than nothing. Best get rid of a player who doesnt want to stay..

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Those of us that were at the game saw him catch the back of the ref's heel which made him stumble slightly, but decided to make the most of it because Barnes had been whinging at him a few minutes earlier whilst getting an elbow in the throat. The Barnes haters have made a meal of it ever since. As for giving up on promotion, Barnes was the one who almost gave us two goals in the second leg, hitting the bar and only Moxey to head off the line with Speroni beaten.

I do have a bit of sympathy with the OP as I think we will miss Barnes defensive qualities as well as his work rate and 1 in 3 scoring ability.

6 in 24 is 1 in 4.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sad as I am to see him go I'm confident that the club know what they are doing, although I have reservations in Barnes case given that he has gone to a rival. Happy to wait until the end of the transfer window before slashing my wrists on this.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
By selling Ashley Barnes, I seriously believe we have given up on promotion this season. He is the heartbeat of the team and we will struggle now. We should have sacrificed the £750k, kept him and reviewed in the summer. I don't think we'll go down, but that's it for now. I well remember another time in another age when the club failed to realise the importance of Kit Napier and we never recovered that season with dramatic consequences.
I think this will be the same.
knob

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As I said before, Ashley Barnes was the heartbeat of the team. Sounds like Andy Naylor agrees that the team lacked that heartbeat at Derby. And Peter Schmeichel on motd tonight highlighted Eriksen as the best player for Spurs today- what position does he play? Same as Barnsey did, shuttling from midfield to attack, then back to help out in defence. Whether Ash wanted to stay or not, whether we lost him for nothing in the summer or not, we have transferred our promotion hopes out the door with him unless miraculously David Burke finds a remarkable replacement, at a Barber/FFP friendly price who is fit and can slot straight in to the team. Hmmm.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
As I said before, Ashley Barnes was the heartbeat of the team. Sounds like Andy Naylor agrees that the team lacked that heartbeat at Derby. And Peter Schmeichel on motd tonight highlighted Eriksen as the best player for Spurs today- what position does he play? Same as Barnsey did, shuttling from midfield to attack, then back to help out in defence. Whether Ash wanted to stay or not, whether we lost him for nothing in the summer or not, we have transferred our promotion hopes out the door with him unless miraculously David Burke finds a remarkable replacement, at a Barber/FFP friendly price who is fit and can slot straight in to the team. Hmmm.

Out of interest, are you just going to post after every defeat...?
I note that our heart was beating ok during the Birmmingham game.

Obviously disappointing losing Ash, as it was Adam. But you need to get a grip lad.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
By selling Ashley Barnes, I seriously believe we have given up on promotion this season. He is the heartbeat of the team and we will struggle now. We should have sacrificed the £750k, kept him and reviewed in the summer. I don't think we'll go down, but that's it for now. I well remember another time in another age when the club failed to realise the importance of Kit Napier and we never recovered that season with dramatic consequences.
I think this will be the same.
Kit Napier? That takes me back, I remember as a kid sitting in front of the advertising boarding (in the day when that was allowed if the steward was in a good mood) Kit rattled the post so hard with a 30 yard thunderbolt I thought the post would break!
Never in all these years since have I seen anything that gets close to the power in that shot.
Happy days.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You haven't given TB a chance to replace him yet plus Barnes isn't that good. It's a great piece of business for us

Worryingly 10-days have now passed and we have also lost AEA with no sign of the influx of new players. Lets hope they are working like Trojans behind the scenes because if Mr not right in the head leaves we need upto 4 new players of a good quality

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Worryingly 10-days have now passed and we have also lost AEA with no sign of the influx of new players. Lets hope they are working like Trojans behind the scenes because if Mr not right in the head leaves we need upto 4 new players of a good quality

Like others have pointed out, quality players have luxury of waiting to the last minute for the best offer.
I loathe the transfer window, be a lot easier if the window opened at the end of the season and shut before the first game of the season.
Loans could take place throughout the season therefore stopping greedy players and agents holding clubs to ransom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here