Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion give up on promotion!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Those of us that were at the game saw him catch the back of the ref's heel which made him stumble slightly, but decided to make the most of it because Barnes had been whinging at him a few minutes earlier whilst getting an elbow in the throat. The Barnes haters have made a meal of it ever since. As for giving up on promotion, Barnes was the one who almost gave us two goals in the second leg, hitting the bar and only Moxey to head off the line with Speroni beaten.

I do have a bit of sympathy with the OP as I think we will miss Barnes defensive qualities as well as his work rate and 1 in 3 scoring ability.

Well he wasn't signing a new contract so either the club cashed in now or he piss** off for nothing then. I have nothing against Barnes, but my summary of him is that he done a job, but no more. Nothing special.

You can dress it up all you like, and call that ban harsh, but the facts are there. He made a silly decision o he pitch that had a sizeable impact on our team options at that time

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The OP is entitled to his opinion. It's just wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well he wasn't signing a new contract so either the club cashed in now or he piss** off for nothing then. I have nothing against Barnes, but my summary of him is that he done a job, but no more. Nothing special.

You can dress it up all you like, and call that ban harsh, but the facts are there. He made a silly decision o he pitch that had a sizeable impact on our team options at that time

How do we know what he asked for in our contract negotiations? I read all the time about how Murray didn't want much more when we offered him a new contract.
An accidental trip/catching the back of a heel isn't a decision. We got into the playoffs with points to spare so it didn't have a sizeable impact.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
If he had gone to a top club then I could have been a tad disappointed. However, he has gone to a club who are punching well above their weight and realistically won't get promoted this season. Good manager though. Therefore I can only surmise that he wasn't interested in progressing further with us and us getting some money for a player who has less than 6 months of their contract left, seems like good business sense. TB/OG will have seen this coming form the day that AB refused to sign the new contract and I am sure contingency plans are in place.
So farewell Ash, thanks for the memories and we wish you well for the future.

TNBA

TTF

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
How do we know what he asked for in our contract negotiations? I read all the time about how Murray didn't want much more when we offered him a new contract.
An accidental trip/catching the back of a heel isn't a decision. We got into the playoffs with points to spare so it didn't have a sizeable impact.

Accidental trip. Well, he FA did not agree with you. Poyet was hacked off with him as well which says something. He is a hot head and has a history of it. I guess though that anyone that is not that upset about Barnes leaving is a Barnes hater in your head though.

Why are you also harping on about the details of what he was offered. Here are the plain facts, he was offered X....he did not accept X so we cashed in whilst we still could. Simple.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Blimey - the way some describe his footballing prowess on here, you begin to wonder why he isn't on the Ballon d'Or short list.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
By selling Ashley Barnes, I seriously believe we have given up on promotion this season. He is the heartbeat of the team and we will struggle now. We should have sacrificed the £750k, kept him and reviewed in the summer. I don't think we'll go down, but that's it for now. I well remember another time in another age when the club failed to realise the importance of Kit Napier and we never recovered that season with dramatic consequences.
I think this will be the same.

Massive overreaction :lol:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Words most used on this site about Barnes.....Almost, if only, nearly, unlucky, would have..........Sort of tells it's own story. Barnes will never play a key role in any side promoted from this division. If he is going to Burnley as a striker he will be third choice, which is what he should have been here. If we can get £750k for a third choice striker, then it's a no brainer. If he starts games for Burnley, then they will have sold a striker, which is also good news for us, as they will start to slide out of contention.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Over stating it somewhat but it's still a massive loss. Letting him go with his contract running down is understandable but letting him go to a team that we may well meet in the Play Offs is risky business.

Knowing Barnes he'll come back to haunt us, big time.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
By selling Ashley Barnes, I seriously believe we have given up on promotion this season. He is the heartbeat of the team and we will struggle now. We should have sacrificed the £750k, kept him and reviewed in the summer. I don't think we'll go down, but that's it for now. I well remember another time in another age when the club failed to realise the importance of Kit Napier and we never recovered that season with dramatic consequences.

Why don't you wait and see what happens in the rest of the window before spouting off such a load of reactionary drivel?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Good joke !!!

If we don't replace Barnes it's not great, but wait and see...

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Don't feed the troll.

But he's hungry master!!

image.jpg

Seriously though!, I can see that if you was I Barnes fan it might seem like a lack of ambition but on the other hand, if you wasn't it could be a good move and a better player who scores more goals could be on he's way to the club!, you never know!, also I feel Barnes doesn't suit oscars style of play!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Also!, for me Barnes is one of the most frustrating players to watch in front of goal!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Moronic op quite frankly. We have Obika in, are looking at others, may well get conway back. Barnes was a relatively solid player but nothing exceptional and certainly not looking premier quality. That said maybe Dyche can get out of him what he has got out of Vokes and good luck to them both. How ever the window is only one third through and we have already got someone whereas in the past people have been crying out for something in the last few days, sometimes just for the sake of it. Barnes sealed his fate as he wont sign a contract.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Words most used on this site about Barnes.....Almost, if only, nearly, unlucky, would have..........Sort of tells it's own story. Barnes will never play a key role in any side promoted from this division. If he is going to Burnley as a striker he will be third choice, which is what he should have been here. If we can get £750k for a third choice striker, then it's a no brainer. If he starts games for Burnley, then they will have sold a striker, which is also good news for us, as they will start to slide out of contention.

Possible a touch harsh on Barnes, but a good post nonetheless. Although you just know he is going to come back to haunt us.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Attention seeking drama-queen alert!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In Bloom we trust. We'll be ok.

Exactly my sentiments.

We already have Joe Mason(?) in our sights, and a good bit of the transfer window to go that we can do business in. I have always rated Ashley Barnes, but he is not irreplaceable and we could come out with more options and greater goal scoring ability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here