Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Albion dressing room would be supportive of gay player"

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I've never understood why people give a toss about somebodies sexuality or what other people do in their bedrooms

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've never understood why people give a toss about somebodies sexuality or what other people do in their bedrooms

Some people are jealous when they see others having what they actually crave!

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Blimey you’ve gone off on a right one there. But it doesn’t does it? And NSC certainly doesn’t. Why can’t we have a chat site that isn’t obsessed with morale superiority point scoring and just talks about ‘the football’ without everything having to become about such issues day in day out. Same sanctimonious and antagonists posters at it all the time.

You realise you don’t actually have to open any threads you don’t like the look of? You could have scrolled right past this one.

Personally, I’m proud to support a club that can bring out a statement like this, that’s obviously genuine and not just some publicity stunt.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I'm not sure of the % of people who turn out to be gay, but I could pretty much guarantee there's different sexualities in every group of players of every club in every league in England (Including the current Brighton team). Whether their teammates know, would differ from situation from situation, but I can completely see why the don't come out to the public. It would get so much attention, and that takes a lot of bravery.

I can't wait for the day someone can say they're gay, and the answer back is "That's nice. Anyway, what wonderful weather we're having!" Like it's a non-issue. It shouldn't have to be a big thing. Like what colour my eyes are, or what my dominant hand is. It's just what you're born with. Who cares!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
More virtuous signalling from the most virtuous signalling sport of them all: football. Let’s constantly talk about anything other than football, let’s link everything back to gender, sexual orientation, colour, race, religion and politics. When did football become so narcissistic as to tell everyone what to do and think. Remember the days when it used to be about sport?

Jesus...you are the epitome of gammon dinosaur. Every single thread is derailed by your 1970s nonsense.

I'll be as polite as I can...please sod off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wish there was an dislike button.

Edit to add. Not for the thread subject, but a post above.

Ahem.

I have him on ignore. Some people just won't learn.

:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. What consenting adults get up to is their business

Sexual orientation isn't simply about sex. Human beings benefit from affirmation and suffer when ostracised. In the Thatcher era it was illegal to 'promote' homosexuality, which gave folk a licence to denigrate it. Today many gay people are reluctant to even talk with workmates about what they did at the weekend, in case it slips out that 'we' are the same gender.

You only have to look at the booing of the taking of the knee (a five second act) to realise the amount of resistance there is among the majority concerning affirmation of minorities.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It's called prurience.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
More virtuous signalling from the most virtuous signalling sport of them all: football. Let’s constantly talk about anything other than football, let’s link everything back to gender, sexual orientation, colour, race, religion and politics. When did football become so narcissistic as to tell everyone what to do and think. Remember the days when it used to be about sport?

it's not "virtue signalling" to say that you're not going to be homophobic to a colleague

it's just called being a decent human being

and it is about sport- it's about letting gay people know that they will be accepted in sport and not abused

why are you struggling to see that?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
If an Albion player did come out, I can't see the level of abuse rising from away supporters more than what it is now, I doubt there would be any abuse from home support.....unless he was crap

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Tell that to a newspaper
Sex sells

yep, the media storm that would surround an openly gay footballer and the threat of constant attention is probably part of what has put people off opening up

it would be a huge story, like it or not

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
yep, the media storm that would surround an openly gay footballer and the threat of constant attention is probably part of what has put people off opening up

it would be a huge story, like it or not

I'm told by friends in the business that it could potentially make them very wealthy as the marketing opportunities would be through the roof. That might not appeal to a Premier League player who wanted to keep playing at the top level without distractions and is already minted. But to a League One or even Championship player it could set them up for a long time.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm not sure of the % of people who turn out to be gay, but I could pretty much guarantee there's different sexualities in every group of players of every club in every league in England (Including the current Brighton team). Whether their teammates know, would differ from situation from situation, but I can completely see why the don't come out to the public. It would get so much attention, and that takes a lot of bravery.

I can't wait for the day someone can say they're gay, and the answer back is "That's nice. Anyway, what wonderful weather we're having!" Like it's a non-issue. It shouldn't have to be a big thing. Like what colour my eyes are, or what my dominant hand is. It's just what you're born with. Who cares!

Why should someone even have to mention they are gay? Do straight people say hello I’m straight ???

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If an Albion player did come out, I can't see the level of abuse rising from away supporters more than what it is now, I doubt there would be any abuse from home support.....unless he was crap

I suspect it is this, rather than any other issue which prevents gay players from coming out.

I would be amazed if players weren't already aware of any gay teammates.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Some people are jealous when they see others having what they actually crave!

I never thought the angle of “homophobes are just self hating gays” was particularly helpful. Sure, there’s a not insignificant number, like the Hungarian politician caught in an orgy in Brussels this week.

But the large majority of homophobia stems from kids growing up being taught that being gay is unnatural, against God, or makes you “unmanly” or “unwomanly” depending on persuasion.

As far as the importance of being inclusive in football I suppose it comes down to this point (not aimed at you SB, but in general and to the mouth breathers of the forum). If your teenage son told you he was gay, would you be happy to tell him “you can’t be a footballer anymore because you’ll be treated as “other” by your teammates, and abused by fans both in the stadiums and on social media” or even potentially “you should be careful coming to stadiums as a fan because if someone suspects that you’re gay they might be aggressive verbally or even physically.”

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

There would be some increase in abuse from away fans I think, particularly the older and more bigoted ones.

The biggest difference would be that the player would become a target on social media, from football fans around the globe including some not very friendly to LGBT countries. They would become inordinately more famous and recognisable and it could affect their personal security - after all you can have 99% of people supporting you, it only takes one nut job with an agenda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here