Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion confirm 91 per cent season ticket renewal rate

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
A 91% renewal rate, in any business, is a healthy sign. I also get the sense that there are now more kids at the Amex than in the first season, and this can only bode well for the future.

I briefly flirted with the idea of not renewing, as I never make more than 15 games a season and it's clear I'd be able to get a ticket for any game I'd want to go to. Then I remembered that it's direct debit, and I need not lift a finger to renew. I'm sure there are many others like me.

Kendo3

Jul 26, 2004
Uckfield
What about Juniors reaching the age of Price hike, they or their parents maynot be able to afford the extra - hopefully thats negated by new youngsters comiing in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How do our season ticket numbers compare to other teams? We are probably top of our league and doing well against a third of the premiership.

From the Football League's attendance analysis of 2012/13:

Season Ticket Holders

- The average number of season ticket holders per club was 12,107 in the Championship, 3,920 in League 1 and 2,462 in League 2
- Most number of season ticket holders for a club was 22,467 at Brighton & Hove Albion

I think there is a league table of season ticket holders knocking about somewhere and we come in something like 10th-12th across the 92 PL and FL clubs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Everyone knows our attendances will steadily decrease until we are either topping the league, or in the Premier League. This will be Barber's biggest challenge as CEO.

91% isn't bad renewal rate at all, I'm pleased with that, but it is a reminder that promotion is a necessity if we are to keep attendances high at the Amex. I just hope we haven't missed a golden opportunity this season because of underinvestment in the playing squad.

Not sure I completely agree with this. If we are attractive goal scoring team hovering around the top of the table or the playoffs every year, even if we don't go up, I think we would still continue to keep or even increase season ticket sale. Being entertaining and scoring a hatful of goals whilst losing other games would keep the crowds rolling up.

Given our season being rescued by a mean defence whilst scoring a paltry number of goals I am actually surprised more haven't given up on a season ticket and decided to just turn up when they fancy it.

It's all about entertainment for so many Brighton fans I feel and we haven't really been that entertained this season, although Oscar has done a great job given the circumstances.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Only 1 in 10 not renewing is very good. No matter how well the team do, there will always be that sort of proportion of fans who'd no longer be able to go due to a number of non-football reasons: re-location for work; going to university; change in family and/or financial situation etc..

It's a sad fact of nature that around 200 STHs will die every season - although the demand for season tickets at clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd is such that they are supposed to have an amazingly low mortality rate amongst their fans!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Everyone knows our attendances will steadily decrease until we are either topping the league, or in the Premier League. This will be Barber's biggest challenge as CEO.

91% isn't bad renewal rate at all, I'm pleased with that, but it is a reminder that promotion is a necessity if we are to keep attendances high at the Amex. I just hope we haven't missed a golden opportunity this season because of underinvestment in the playing squad.

B&HA have got several advantages: 250,000 in Brighton and a large surrounding catchment area; no real neighbours or rivals for 40-odd miles around; a relatively affluent population, amongst others.
To think that it's purely success on the pitch, and promotion specifically, that will keep numbers up is problematic. The way the Premier League is at present, promotion would probably entail several seasons attempting to avoid relegation, more predictability, no end of moved kick-offs, more prima donnas. The Championship is an exciting league, and provides a thrilling and unfolding narrative, as well as counter-intuitives, such as the fact that our position is not substantially different than three games ago despite losing the intervening fixtures.
Barber likes to talk about the match-day experience, and he and the club have done as well as they can do in the grand scheme of things on this front. So long as the club can keep this up, avoid relegation, and provide some entertainment on the pitch, plenty will still come to the Amex.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure I completely agree with this. If we are attractive goal scoring team hovering around the top of the table or the playoffs every year, even if we don't go up, I think we would still continue to keep or even increase season ticket sale. Being entertaining and scoring a hatful of goals whilst losing other games would keep the crowds rolling up.

Given our season being rescued by a mean defence whilst scoring a paltry number of goals I am actually surprised more haven't given up on a season ticket and decided to just turn up when they fancy it.

It's all about entertainment for so many Brighton fans I feel and we haven't really been that entertained this season, although Oscar has done a great job given the circumstances.

Agree with all this.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Is there a link to an article about this?
i can't see anything in Argus or on the website

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I have chosen not to renew for some of the reasons stated above, young child and this seaon missed 5/6 games so not financially worthwhile.

I will still attend on a match by match basis and quite excited about the fact I can try out some different stands, hopefully culminating in a STH in East stand with my son in a few years.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
91% renewals obviously cannot include 1901 Club as there is no option to renew yet.
I am never clear if the STH numbers include these or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here