Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion agree contract for Irish midfielder Towell

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Marvellous news, and only a few days after signing James Wilson on loan from Man Utd for the rest of the season.

The contrast with the sorry state BHA were in this time last season, in terms of league position, management and recruitment, could not be clearer.

Happy days

Absolutely. The combination of - top of the league, training facilities, managerial ability, huge fan base, to say nothing of (at least) doubling your salary, should we make it to the promised land, is a massive carrot. In his case, we will have to wait and see, as there is a huge gap between the two leagues, but if CC knows him from before, then that will presumably reduce the risk factor. Let's hope it works, but with our gifted midfield, he is not going to find it easy this year to establish himself in a regular slot.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
My thoughts entirely. Who does he think he's going to replace?

He's said in the argus that he wants to be challenging for a place in the match day squad and to give the manager a selection headache.

As has been said before though he's an unknown quantity to us right now, he could turn out to be an improvement on what we have.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Hope we can keep Kayal.

Towell to compete with Stephens for other spot? Could mean the end of Crofts as sure we've tried to ditch Holla already. JFC wise well if we do give up on him hope MKD or similar will pay a fee and accept a future sell on. He clearly has something for the right team

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I'm calling it now, based on absolutely nothing, I don't think he will be great. Happy to be proven wrong (also if Hughton vouches for him it's good enough for me)

Going to go with the complete opposite - I think we've unearthed another Seamus Coleman - but again this is based on nothing.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Hope we can keep Kayal.

Towell to compete with Stephens for other spot? Could mean the end of Crofts as sure we've tried to ditch Holla already. JFC wise well if we do give up on him hope MKD or similar will pay a fee and accept a future sell on. He clearly has something for the right team

That's right. England.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
First Team midfielders:

Dale Stephens
Beram Kayal
Richie Towell
Andrew Crofts
Rohan Ince
Jake Forster-Caskey
Danny Holla

7 into 2 does not fit. At least 2 to go in January?

Seba

May 12, 2009
Been covering League of Ireland matches since May after moving over to Dublin for work.

Richie Towell was the stand out player of the season, helping Dundalk win the double, and scoring the deciding goal in the Cup Final. That said, the quality of the league is nowhere near that of the Championship. I'd say more League 1.5...! But, that's not to say that Towell can't kick on and progress in the tougher league. There are plenty of examples of players that have worked their way up through the leagues, to now be competing at the top level - several Swansea and Bournemouth players in there.

Powell reminds me of a young Frank Lampard, pulling the strings, and adding plenty of goals from midfield. Good luck to the lad. Would love to see him in the ROI squad come next summer, would cap a brilliant 18 months for him.

All that said, he has a terrible TopMan/Riverisland hair cut....

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
First Team midfielders:

Dale Stephens
Beram Kayal
Richie Towell
Andrew Crofts
Rohan Ince
Jake Forster-Caskey
Danny Holla

7 into 2 does not fit. At least 2 to go in January?
Or a great option when away from home playing 1 up front, an attacking midfielder who can run onto balls in the area with Stephens and Kayal sitting behind him.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Been covering League of Ireland matches since May after moving over to Dublin for work.

Richie Towell was the stand out player of the season, helping Dundalk win the double, and scoring the deciding goal in the Cup Final. That said, the quality of the league is nowhere near that of the Championship. I'd say more League 1.5...! But, that's not to say that Towell can't kick on and progress in the tougher league. There are plenty of examples of players that have worked their way up through the leagues, to now be competing at the top level - several Swansea and Bournemouth players in there.

Powell reminds me of a young Frank Lampard, pulling the strings, and adding plenty of goals from midfield. Good luck to the lad. Would love to see him in the ROI squad come next summer, would cap a brilliant 18 months for him.

All that said, he has a terrible TopMan/Riverisland hair cut....

If the LOI is "League 1.5 quality" (between League 1 and 2?) then I'd say that's pretty encouraging. I'd be very excited if we were signing a 24 year old midfielder who scored 25 goals in last years league one or two season.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
If the LOI is "League 1.5 quality" (between League 1 and 2?) then I'd say that's pretty encouraging. I'd be very excited if we were signing a 24 year old midfielder who scored 25 goals in last years league one or two season.

Didn't Baldock come from League One with that sort of record?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here