Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion adds over £600m to the local economy

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
When Brighton & Hove Albion was seeking planning permission for the stadium back in the early noughties, the club claimed it would add £23m annually to the local economy.

It was laughed out of the room.

An independent report released today has stated the club added around £612m during the 2022/23 season to the local economy.

So who's laughing now?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And the most notable contribution to that £612M ........

"£20m spent on goods and services in the city by club employees"

That's some decent jeans and trainers you can get for that

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
When Brighton & Hove Albion was seeking planning permission for the stadium back in the early noughties, the club claimed it would add £23m annually to the local economy.

It was laughed out of the room.

An independent report released today has stated the club added around £612m during the 2022/23 season to the local economy.

So who's laughing now?

Like those who said we only get 6k gates so we don’t need a bigger stadium, conveniently forgetting that we only got 6k gates because that’s what the fri****g stadium held at the time, and at a time when the club were otherwise on its knees at that. Glad that plenty have had that shoved back up them since (so to speak….) and seem to have faded back into the obscurity they deserve!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Like those who said we only get 6k gates so we don’t need a bigger stadium, conveniently forgetting that we only got 6k gates because that’s what the fri****g stadium held at the time, and at a time when the club were otherwise on its knees at that. Glad that plenty have had that shoved back up them since (so to speak….) and seem to have faded back into the obscurity they deserve!
Makes Norman Baker look a bit silly now. Costing the Albion millions with his nimby rejections that never materialised. Thank you Dick Knight, Martin Perry, those that never gave in and of course Tony Bloom. Legends everyone.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And the most notable contribution to that £612M ........

"£20m spent on goods and services in the city by club employees"

That's some decent jeans and trainers you can get for that
That's a LOT of mustard jumpers :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Circa 8850 capacity in the final season and rarely sold out in that last season, 6442 was the average over all 11 seasons. Only the final season was the average over 7k at 7352.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the vocal cricket bat wielding chap died and left the pub to his daughter who didn't share her fathers views about football fans and has welcomed them with open arms.
His name was John Woodruff or Woodard or something. To be fair even before he died he'd pretty much come round. My wife and I used to go there a lot on Friday nights (they used to do Thai food on a Friday), and there would sometimes be some good-natured ribbing from other customers, but he just used to smile.

He was actually a really good landlord. VERY old-school, he had an old-fashioned till that went 'Ding!' when it was opened. The bar staff had to add up all the prices in their heads as you could only input the total.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
His name was John Woodruff or Woodard or something. To be fair even before he died he'd pretty much come round. My wife and I used to go there a lot on Friday nights (they used to do Thai food on a Friday), and there would sometimes be some good-natured ribbing from other customers, but he just used to smile.

He was actually a really good landlord. VERY old-school, he had an old-fashioned till that went 'Ding!' when it was opened. The bar staff had to add up all the prices in their heads as you could only input the total.
In the late nineties I used to work at the University of Sussex and would pop up there on a Friday lunch time if the weather was good.

Seem to recall from the planning application days he'd been there for years so I assume it was him at the helm then. It was a good boozer and much better than any of the student drinkers on campus. Grub was alright as well.

I've only been over there a couple of times since we've been playing there and it's alright. Very nice in the summer when they put the marquee up. Gets a bit busy when you're forced inside. Beer still good though.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Whilst I don't disagree, playing devil's advocate surely it makes those making those claims originally look at bit silly as well?
The original estimates were based on 15k crowds in div 1/championship and sat 3pm matches (with c1100 averageaway fans). That in itself got laughed at.

Also there are c20yrs worth of inflation to add to that.

But yes the figures then look low by comparison but how bloody brilliant is that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here