Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion academy in Surrey

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
No ones as generous as tone :thumbsup:

of course not but you get a refurbished stadium and new training ground (by the sound of it) and someone willing to fund the losses when you get relegated (but don't tell some of your fans as they think that gaining an advantage without breaking rules is cheating).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Money is there don't worry , the re devolpment will happen in time a lot quicker if we get taken over . Now tony has voted for you to make more losses you can spend a lot more on your super academy . Btw the new fence was paid for and erected by a palace fan so we saved abit there as well :thumbsup:
Ive read the bbs thread about the fence, that was a bit of an epic! Nice gesture by the lad who put the fence up btw.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
The academy has only been open since the summer. The 'behemoth' infrastructure is hardly 'spiralling out of control', no matter how much some Palace fans may wish it would.

My apologies, the impression I got from this site alone was that, despite some if the largest crowds WCP has seen since the 'Rotherham days', is that your stadium in particular is draining so much cash from the club's coffers, that Paul Barber can constantly use it as a device to justify the low grade, cut price product on the field. And that's without even attempting to pay back the capital that provided said 'infrastructure'.

To some, the new and of course fittingly expensive academy (both in terms of start up and continuing running costs) would seem like pouring petrol on the flames. What next? A loss making hotel?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
My apologies, the impression I got from this site alone was that, despite some if the largest crowds WCP has seen since the 'Rotherham days', is that your stadium in particular is draining so much cash from the club's coffers, that Paul Barber can constantly use it as a device to justify the low grade, cut price product on the field. And that's without even attempting to pay back the capital that provided said 'infrastructure'.

To some, the new and of course fittingly expensive academy (both in terms of start up and continuing running costs) would seem like pouring petrol on the flames. What next? A loss making hotel?

You got that from Palace fans. From Tony himself you get that he can afford to reluctantly cover a £10m loss a year.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You got that from Palace fans. From Tony himself you get that he can afford to reluctantly cover a £10m loss a year.

Good luck with that then !

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC

Are you absolutely sure that your club hasn't been selling its best players for large sums, replacing them with cut price players, to the backdrop of a succession of Paul Barber open letters to the fans, lamenting the costs of running the stadium, controlling losses that increase year on year, and blaming FFP for the whole sorry saga?

I'm pretty sure I've not just seen that with my own eyes, but also repeated ad nauseum by your fellow supporters on here.

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Are you absolutely sure that your club hasn't been selling its best players for large sums, replacing them with cut price players, to the backdrop of a succession of Paul Barber open letters to the fans, lamenting the costs of running the stadium, controlling losses that increase year on year, and blaming FFP for the whole sorry saga?

I'm pretty sure I've not just seen that with my own eyes, but also repeated ad nauseum by your fellow supporters on here.

You're a cheeky little scamp, aren't you?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
In other words a sugar daddy putting loads of money in :thumbsup: See you are open to the idea.

I think there is a big difference.
Sugar Daddies ( Bloom,Jack Walker, Abramovich) will gladly throw money at it to achieve their dream, in Blooms case, he has said this week he will cover the £10 mill shortfall each season, not a sustainable business model.
The guy linked with Palace feels it's a good opportunity to own a debt free business with a guaranteed turnover of £90 million and rising per year ( if we stay up )
He sees it as a good business proposition , whereas Bloom sees it as an very expensive hobby.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Sugar Daddies ( Bloom,Jack Walker, Abramovich) will gladly throw money at it to achieve their dream, in Blooms case, he has said this week he will cover the £10 mill shortfall each season, not a sustainable business model.
The guy linked with Palace feels it's a good opportunity to own a debt free business with a guaranteed turnover of £90 million and rising per year ( if we stay up )
He sees it as a good business proposition , whereas Bloom sees it as an very expensive hobby.

Tbh no one really thinks Brighton are 'cheating' running up losses. They are no different from practically all clubs in the Championship who are running at a loss since as we all know football is screwed financially (it was just we used to get lambasted for living outside our means but I think everyone realises all clubs have to do it !!). Palace are temporarily in a fantastic financial position but both us and Brighton are propped up by rich 'proper' fans so we are both very lucky. Not sure I feel comfortable with an American taking us over unless he's willing to chuck and write off masses of cash al la Citeh and Chelsea since tbh it would be funny seeing us in the champions league (obviously since this is Palace it's bound to end up with some high profile drama most likely all going wrong !!)

As I keep rabbiting on about the one big issue Brighton seem to have is their Admin & Op costs which no one seems to give a breakdown on or has any info on. Ie how 'fixed' are they

As others have said FPP is just unworkable and is designed by people who just don't understand football finances and although the concept is good it just won't be able to exist unless something massive happens regarding the disparity between the premiership and championship.

Hold on just a cotton picking moment there.

You were being funded by Browett and Co to the tune of £5 million a year until promotion, what was the difference between them and Bloom?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Hold on just a cotton picking moment there.

You were being funded by Browett and Co to the tune of £5 million a year until promotion, what was the difference between them and Bloom?

I think you'll find they agreed to cover costs on a 2 year cycle, then they would sell a player/s to balance the books.
Getting £10 mill for Wilf achieved that.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I've never hidden the fact I quite like palace as a club but Palace fans preaching about sustainable and prudent spending or even having the audacity to comment on our finances is ridiculous given their recent history of over spending and wiping their debts off.

Palace would do well to invest some of this 100 milion plus into their training ground and stadium to increase revenue streams but so far the only evidence ive seen is a 'whores bath' of internal work for the benefit of the sky cameras and some external cladding. There's no doubt been other tweaks to appease sky in the press box ect but where are the redevelopment plans for SP?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I've never hidden the fact I quite like palace as a club but Palace fans preaching about sustainable and prudent spending or even having the audacity to comment on our finances is ridiculous given their recent history of over spending and wiping their debts off.

Palace would do well to invest some of this 100 milion plus into their training ground and stadium to increase revenue streams but so far the only evidence ive seen is a 'whores bath' of internal work for the benefit of the sky cameras and some external cladding. There's no doubt been other tweaks to appease sky in the press box ect but where are the redevelopment plans for SP?

I think we can safely say we can speak from experience !
We are fortunate to have Palace fans in charge ( at the moment) and they wouldn't allow another situation to arise like before.
The irony is Brighton fans taking the moral high ground,accusing other teams of not adhering to FFP and living above their means.
Then their chairman ,who will cover any shortfall incurred, and has just voted in favour of raising the level of debt still further !

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we can safely say we can speak from experience !
We are fortunate to have Palace fans in charge ( at the moment) and they wouldn't allow another situation to arise like before.
The irony is Brighton fans taking the moral high ground,accusing other teams of not adhering to FFP and living above their means.
Then their chairman ,who will cover shortfall incurred, and has just voted in favour of raising the level of debt still further !
You miss the point that we expect the albion will obey the FFP rules.

Nothing at all wrong with criticising the clubs who break the FFP rules to cheat themselves to an unfair inflated playing budget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here