Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion 9th in wage table & 7th in losses table last season

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In short, he didn't know. But he still shot his H U G E mouth off. Incessant budget moaning culminating in the now infamous ill-advised and ill-timed 'ceiling' comment. It appears that his claim we were bottom-half in terms of wages was, in fact, more BS.

I'm confused on 2 accounts.
1. How did he not know? He knew he couldn't have the players he wanted, becasue he was told so, and TB confirmed this, and that was down to money. So he did know.
2. As for bottom half of the league wages, what was the players wages on relation to the entire clubs wages? All I can see is the wage bill for the entire club, and we know we have (had) a massive staff problem, because the club has laid off loads of them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In short, he didn't know. But he still shot his H U G E mouth off. Incessant budget moaning culminating in the now infamous ill-advised and ill-timed 'ceiling' comment. It appears that his claim we were bottom-half in terms of wages was, in fact, more BS.

At the time he made his claim, he was right.

He'd have known clubs' budgets from the previous season, and knowing his own club's budget, estimated from that. Our wage bill was 14th highest in the league. That's bottom-half.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I am more in mind of that pre-match Tanno interview - who was less likely to get carried away than Gus. He wanted everyone to make their finances available so performance could be properly compared ("put it on the table" I think he said). We clearly did better than the wage bill suggested - but he seemed pretty convinced we were at a significant disadvantage.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm also getting "invalid attachment specified". :(

See if this works

image.jpg

matt

Mar 19, 2007
At the time he made his claim, he was right.

He'd have known clubs' budgets from the previous season, and knowing his own club's budget, estimated from that. Our wage bill was 14th highest in the league. That's bottom-half.

Estimating based on the previous year's figures is not the same as being "right" though is it? It's having a guess based on out of date information.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Someone dig out a Poyet-special 'smallest budget in the league' quote please, I fancy a good laugh.

Someone do a biopsy on your very small brain. Poyet never said that, you stupid moron.

What he did say, however, is that we were overperforming given our budget. We are between 9th and 17th in terms of wages (eight clubs, including the likes of Leeds and Forest, haven't announced their figures). And we finished 4th. So he was correct.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I have been VERY bored today. Suspect we could drop down the table as some clubs have not yet published their numbers.

The figures in brackets next to the club name are the league positions.

View attachment 51269

Interesting, but what is the point in publishing this until all the figures are in? Idiots already drawing conclusions on the basis of very incomplete data.

We are NOT 9th in terms of wages paid, we are somewhere between 9th and 17th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here