Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion 9th in wage table & 7th in losses table last season

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Yep. It includes all permanent staff (average 239 through the year) and all part-time staff employed on match days (572).

Any idea how much is on player wages? I suspect it's less than 60% of that 400K a week. What Poyet said about player budgets may have some truth. We have a lot of match day staff, probably the highest in the Championship, as we're catering for 27.000 fans each home game.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Any idea how much is on player wages? I suspect it's less than 60% of that 400K a week. What Poyet said about player budgets may have some truth. We have a lot of match day staff, probably the highest in the Championship, as we're catering for 27.000 fans each home game.

I dont, no. It's not broken out in the accounts. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] may have got some info from the club's FD when he spoke to him, but, tbh, I doubt it. I suspect that the amount spent on players' wages is one of the most closely guarded secrets. I can tell you that of the 239 permanent staff, 59 were players (this includes youth players).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I've done some sums based on assumptions which gives the following

View attachment 51271

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Cheers for that El Pres. Just as I have come to terms with the fact that we may have spent more on player wages than Palace - I now find myself reeling that we could have spent more than say, Leeds, Forest or Ipswich. When we go for players and certain other clubs are mentioned as interested I tend to assume we will lose out.

It does go to show what a good manager Dyche must be. I really do hope they go up (not at our expense obviously).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Cheers for doing this El- Pres. I love stats. I'm staggered by Middlesboro's wage bill

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Someone dig out a Poyet-special 'smallest budget in the league' quote please, I fancy a good laugh.

You'll never find one because he never said that and also I suspect our non playing staff is the highest in the division making the playing budget quite possibly much lower than a lot of teams.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You do have to say Posh did well to take it to the last game of the season. They paid a smidgen of QUARTER of what we paid. Wow. Well done Posh.

And I just assumed Wednesday were paying more than £8m. You can see why they are where they are. They have a similar, if smaller, attendances as us.

And Watford got to the play-off final on half what we paid. I appreciate there were other factors - but still.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You do have to say Posh did well to take it to the last game of the season. They paid a smidgen of QUARTER of what we paid. Wow. Well done Posh.

And I just assumed Wednesday were paying more than £8m. You can see why they are where they are. They have a similar, if smaller, attendances as us.

And Watford got to the play-off final on half what we paid. I appreciate there were other factors - but still.

DKM, Wednesday's wages are for League 1 though, as they represent 2011/12.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He wanted better players, and the club said he couldn't have them because the club wasn't prepared to finance them hence he came out with the "hitting the ceiling" comment (didn't Tony Bloom tell us as much in an interview last year?).

I would have thought he would have a good idea what players are asking for, and what they are being paid, and therefore he would have an idea why a player might choose not to have signed for the club, I would imagine he would also put forward his case for a player. At the time he said things that painted the club in a bad light regarding money and wages, then we failed to sign players like Grabban, who blamed it on wages, Barnes went tor Burnley FFS for more money, and we couldn't tempt Bridge, yet Reading could.

I believe what the club say to a degree when they say they will not capitulate and pay more than the budget will allow, therefore it's not such a leap of faith to believe that what Poyet said at the time was true.

Ultimately we will not ever find out the precise facts, anyone who says they do know must work for the club, or a player, and they are not going to disclose such sensitive information.

In short, he didn't know. But he still shot his H U G E mouth off. Incessant budget moaning culminating in the now infamous ill-advised and ill-timed 'ceiling' comment. It appears that his claim we were bottom-half in terms of wages was, in fact, more BS.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ta. Yes I did think that must be the case - but they could not have increased it by that much first season in the championship - or could they ? I suppose we must have done.

Our wages went from £7.3 to £14.7m when we were promoted.

Remember last season Joe Mattock went to Wednesday instead of us because of money, so suspect their bill will zoom up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What browser? It works on my ipad

It's not working for me on firefox, either. It's the same problem that's been around a while with attachments showing up as links instead of pictures, click on it it tells you invalid attachment specified.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Given some of the parachute payments being received some of those losses are staggering. Do clubs like Blackburn not generate any income at all outside of tv money?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Given some of the parachute payments being received some of those losses are staggering. Do clubs like Blackburn not generate any income at all outside of tv money?

Blackburn had match day income of £4.3 million and wage bill of £36 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here