Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion 83 against Team Potter

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I haven’t seen this team give anyone a kicking for a while at home...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Case and Robinson definitely

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Assuming the 1983 team would be allowed to train and eat properly -

MOSELEY v Ryan Taller
Ramsey v LAMPTEY Both fast but Lamptey is something special.
FOSTER v Dunk Fozzie was a leader and had that nasty streak that was necessary in those days. Weighed in with a few goals too.
STEVENS v Webster No contest
GATTING v Burn Gatting was a better footballer and when he played left back he looked as if he knew what he was doing. Also a regular goalscorer.
Pearce v MARCH Pearce was underrated and Solly is infuriating but I just about give it to Hailsham's finest
Grealish v BISSOUMA Biss is naturally talented player, Tony G was a clever trier.
Howlett v ALZATE Alzate could be one of our best ever - if Potter gets round to playing him, that is.
CASE v Gross Case had the experience, the shot and the devil. No Cruyff turn, but ...
ROBINSON v Maupay One could score goals and run all day. The other is Maupay.
Smith v LALLANA Smudger was a subtle player with goals in his game, but Lallana is more of a leader.
SMILLIE v Ali J Both hard-working wingers but Smillie was more effective
RYAN v Connolly Gerry could perform wide and down the centre and knew where the goal was.

We haven't seen enough of Welbeck to know, and there aren't really direct equivalents for Veltman and White. If it's White v Stevens, Gary S still gets the nod on what we've seen so far.

If I had to pick a 'best of' team, it would be:

Moseley

Lamptey Stevens Foster Gatting

Case Bissouma Alzate

Lallana Ryan

Robinson

Would take Connolly over Gerry Ryan, otherwise all of the above.

You could argue Dunk and Foster, but get the Gatting comment, who was underrated.

Pearce was another close call, if it had been against BDB I would have taken Pearce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I want a Time Machine please . Happy Days

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Tony Grealish was a very under-rated footballer - and a leader on the pitch - he was a regular for Ireland for years in a midfield that contained the likes of Johnny Giles, Liam Brady, Gerry Daly, Ronnie Whelan, John Sheridan, Gary Waddock, Mark Lawrenson, Steve Heighway, Kevin Sheedy, Paul McGrath and Ray Houghton.

Definitely would warrant being picked.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Different game now. Impossible to compare players.

That 81 WHL game was something special though. Robbo had one chance and buried it right in front of us, cue bedlam! Getting back to 7 Sisters was a tricky job.

A mate and I came down from Warwick Uni on a free coach to do a CND rally in the morning, went to WHL in the PM and then got back to central London to cadge a lift back to Warwick. Flock of Seagulls played the (free) Student Union gig that night too and we interspersed their songs with cries of Seagulls! Seagulls!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I think the team of 83 would win simply because they are better in the air and would have a field day at corners and free kicks along with being more direct

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Playing on todays pitches with todays ball and todays referees the current team would clearly win, but play on a 1983 pitch with a 1983 ball and a 1983 referee the 1983 team would win. It really is a different game now, the genius of George Best was that he avoided foul tackles today he would be encouraged to draw a foul and fall over.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Playing on todays pitches with todays ball and todays referees the current team would clearly win, but play on a 1983 pitch with a 1983 ball and a 1983 referee the 1983 team would win. It really is a different game now, the genius of George Best was that he avoided foul tackles today he would be encouraged to draw a foul and fall over.

Wouldn't they have to score to win?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here