Albion 2013-14 season tickets - ALL the details

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Amazes me how many swallow the travel thing. They could have put prices up another hundred quid and blamed the railways and bus companies and it sounds like people would have accepted it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Personally, I wouldn't want to be one of the mugs in the WSL paying almost SEVEN HUNDRED QUID on some of the absolute shit we've watched at home this season. Sideways passing + failure to hit a barndoor = yawn football.

You wish to pay knowing the end product? I suggest you find some class and love opera.

It would also be nice if the train travel extended to Worthing!
For the old away match Seagull Specials of the late 1970s, the club negotiated free travel to Brighton Station from as far west as Chichester!

I'm far from a club cheerleader I can promise you that much.
Well, we do realize that; you'd have stuck out like a sore thumb in a Gully's Girl outfit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I still have reservations in regards to us getting promoted.
If, IF we get promoted then we would already be paying more per game as there are less games. In that regard, how much would the increase be???

I wonder if I'm alone in not wanting promotion this year? As you say, the effective price of games goes up a lot in the premier league anyway as there are less of them. A rise on top of that is ridiculous especially when the extra tv revenue is factored in.

Oh and Withdean Wanderer. Have you ever enjoyed football? I wouldn't imagine so. Why not watch golf or something more predictable like f1?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It's getting towards the top end of what I'm willing to pay. I really hope we keep Gus and we keep pushing for the prem and if Gus should ever go, uncle Tony needs to appoint a manager that plays similar good football. I just wonder, if our style of play should ever change or should we not be doing as well with a poorer style of football, how many would still think it was good value? I mean should the product deteriorate, they would never drop the prices would they?
It's a very fine line and a risk. We have alot of fans owning a season ticket for the first time in many years or ever, they will disappear as quick as they came if they feel they are no longer getting value for money. At the moment, it's fine, expensive but fine, but BHAFC needs to be careful not to distance themselves from too many fans. Barber won't be here forever, but we will, unless we are priced out.
Should we make the prem and my ST goes over the 700 mark for ESU, I won't renew. Mainly because of cost and also because I can watch all our games on tv as well. Rises at the moment are just about acceptable, but only just.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am pretty pleased with it all. I infrequently speak with Roger French of the buses, and he has dropped a few hints about how much buses cost match by match. He said that he agreed at Withdean that B&H buses should share the financial burden, but with the Amex they were playing more hardball. He said a price increase to fans was inevitable and the reality.

He also said they tried to sponsor the club during the Skint years, ultimately the bid fell apart because it was around the time the main holding company was re-structuring and the finances weren't there.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Can't say that I'm overly impressed with the travel increase, I already pay £200 ( plus cost of railcard) a season to get to the games, and, as has been mentioned earlier, I only 'save' approx £34 with the subsidy. I'd rather not pay any travel fare to the club but buy my own ticket for the trains.

I understand it from the clubs point of view but it does seem very unfair for some, particularly those coming in from the east.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Seems reasonable enough for WSU even though we have the biggest % rise.

Would like to see the travel zone moved East a bit if we are paying £50 a year as coming from Eastbourne we have to pay to Lewes and it only costs £1.50 extra to get to Falmer so the East people are subsidising those in the West.

Depends where West you're talking about. It's the same price from Southampton to Falmer as Southampton to Shoreham, so the travel subsidy doesn't benefit me at all.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Ok.

???

EDIT - ok, so the bigger % includes the increase for travel. Cool.

If its a compulsory travel charge then shouldn't it be included in the % increase in your ticket prices? It seems strange to accept that ticket prices have gone up between 2-5% when the total increase is actually between 6.6% and 9.2%? I mean it's not like any of you can actually renew with a total increase of only 2-5% is it?

And before anyone accuses me of trolling, I actually think your S/T prices are excellent value, especially considering the inclusive travel element, for watching the game in a fantastic, modern stadium. I'm also fully aware of the need for a sustainable travel solution as part of the PP granted and that is a burden that appears currently unavoidable.

I'm just interested in the dynamics of the ticket/subsidised travel scenario and how fans perceive it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
£45 increase for WSU, fantastic seats, is not too bad.
We got the highest percentage increase, but I suppose Barber has carefully balanced supply and demand for the more desirable locations.

I'm not sure that makes me feel any better. But there you go.

Burgess Hill to Falmer return = £6.50 x 23 = £149.50

STH Travel Charge = £50

So the club are saving me £99.50, effectively subsidising this amount. So, yes, it is still a subsidy.
Travel to Falmer return (with a bus pass) = £0.00 x 23 = £0.00

STH Travel Charge = £50

So I'm effectively contributing £50 to someone else's reduced spending on travel costs.

Am I bovvered? No.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Do for me, great value, my North ticket £20 a game. When you think what we've paid at some of the shitholes we've been to over the last few years, Ipswich £35, Palarse £34 or whatever. Obviously if we were to go up then we could probably add another 50% at least, would I pay £30 to see us in the prem? f***ing too right :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To me the travel / rest dichotemy is not important, but I understand why the club publicise the composition in this transition phase of building it into the final s/t prices.

Whether we like it or not, the transport costs are major due to the location, and total club income must increase significantly to meet this as well as the other causes of the £8m operating losses.

We should pay for it, and not TB in his picking up the tab for the losses.

Obviously not the club have agreed a contract with southern rail and the bus company which costs them a fee, but if they did not you would have to pay the travel cost so effectively they are paying the train fare
Err ... NO.

If the transport operators didn't receive a guaranteed payment from the Club, the transport wouldn't be provided.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Travel to Falmer return (with a bus pass) = £0.00 x 23 = £0.00

STH Travel Charge = £50

So I'm effectively contributing £50 to someone else's reduced spending on travel costs.

Am I bovvered? No.

You know I am however in the spirit of the the post - whatever.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports