Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion 1 Wigan 2 Great game!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
We need an uncomplicated lazy goal hanger, to convert goal area opportunities. Phillips on loan would do (if we could ignore his recent past). Doesn't fit into Oscars game style I know but I think that might help. Certainly a better option than Lita or Obika IMO, but what do I know? ......... Waffle over :blush:

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
At last, someone who seems to have watched the same game we did!! It was poor, the atmosphere was non-existent. Not saying Wigan were any great shakes, but they just about deserved the win.

the words "rose tinted specs" spring to mind I'm afraid. We won't get anywhere on Monday playing like that. :down:

Also, does anyone know if Oscar can move - rarely see any passion or motivation coming from him?|

I often leave the Amex really frustrated as we under perform time and time again but today we deserved so much better. No luck shit ref poor finish (yes our fault) but we outplayed them. I just hope we haven't left it too late for our luck to come and the team finally to hit the form they are capable of.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We are just missing someone who had that touch in front of goal IMHO don't know who it is but if we find him we will storm this league next season

Can we get Lineker or Greaves to turn the clock back a few decades !?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
You need to build foundations for success, Poyet did then shattered them in a fit of pique which in effect put us back two plus years.

Hopefully and judging so far Oscar is looking at the longer game to get us where we want.

We all knew TB has an expectation however it will take longer than what I think he thought and he sold the belief to a lot of fans when we moved to the Amex.

Personally I am a realist therefore expect the best at least two or so years away and even if we get there be very aware it is not easy.

What is your priority, just surviving a league up or winning quite a few more games playing some pretty good football ?

I would also add the ability to become a competent Championship team is very much a bonus given previously the last three times it was quite a struggle.

Preaching to the converted, just not an argument that convinces me on the 'progress' question. (In fact you've skated around it quite nicely).

As for Poyet destroying things, you don't know that, nor does hardly anybody. Convenient to blame him I know, and we all want to believe and love our beloved Chief Exec - I choose to keep an open counsel on that one.

stripey

Feb 22, 2014
I agree with the OP on this one. Yes, it was disappointing to lose, and especially so to concede the first Wigan goal with a misdirected pass, but the elegant and well controlled passing of the ball all round the pitch was great to see, and the last twenty minutes were excellent entertainment. Shame on those who left early and therefore didn't stay to applaud the lads for their effort and heart.

The stats tell the story of the game. We had almost 2/3 of the possession and three times as many shots as Wigan, yet we converted one chance, and they got two. We do need to be sharper in the box.for sure.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Really enjoyed today's game. Not the result I wanted of course but a really entertaining game (frustrating and tense but hey, whats new?!) and well worth the ticket price. We are probably not quite good enough to compete for promotion this season but if any fans only watched their team when winning promotion or a cup was guaranteed then most stadiums outside of Manchester and Chelsea would be empty. Loving watching the Albion at the moment and loving the Amex. Thanks Oscar and Tony
Fantastic OP, totally agree. Great entertainment yesterday. I was drained at the end, really pleased we didn't give up even at 0-2, great spirit from the team.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm inclined to agree with the OP, despite the result (and the first 20 minutes of the second half) it was actually a very entertaining game. Obviously a win would've been worth more than just enjoying myself but there were plenty of times where it felt like the equaliser was on its way. Only real downside for me are the 'fans' who sit nearby, on the back of the team from the 10th minute, utter morons.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I also think I got my money's worth yesterday.

Wigan fluked it, though defensively they were very solid.

There's really no point moaning when we play like that and lose. Tha' fooball. Is normal.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I came out thinking that our time is coming and soon. Promotion this season seems unlikely, which is a shame, but we outplayed a form team yesterday and a fraction more composure in and around the opposition area is all that seems to be missing. They were resorting to booting it up into the corner just to get a few seconds respite. We were bloody good.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It was an entertaining game, and the atmosphere was better than usual, partly due to everyone getting pissed off at Al Habsi time wasting! Aside from losing, we can take positives from our general performance as Wigan are a top team (supposedly).

stripey

Feb 22, 2014
It was an entertaining game, and the atmosphere was better than usual, partly due to everyone getting pissed off at Al Habsi time wasting! .
We were right behind the goal, and so it was good to see the ref tell him to get on with it! Didn't feel the ref gave as many free kicks as he should have done, though - he let a lot go by.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
Enjoyed a lot of classic pantomime banter, boos, handball shouts, get him in the book ref protests etc.. Shame about the result but had a great time in a beery cheery fog!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Good game enjoyed it......I thought our football was more exciting than under Gus, we are nearly there, luck beat us yesterday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here