Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion 1 Wigan 2 Great game!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Weirdly find this fascinating. Personally, I would rather we win and not necessarily come away with a skip and a whistle saying I had been right royally entertained. Not saying I am right, just how I see it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Agree with that. And even with the tense finish loads of muppets leave early!
The East Stand JCLs were truly embarrassing today. All our most exciting attackers on the pitch, an epic comeback point a real possibility - players deserving to be clapped off regardless, nice mild day so no problem with queuing in the rain, rugby and "football" available on concourse screens after the match...

"Come on Giles, let's beat the rush..."

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Thought the first half was very good from us and we completely outplayed them but again only created a very small number of chances (only 1 maybe 2 clear cut).
I felt we lost our way second half but the subs and the change of formation changed things. Most of our good chances came in the last 15 when we had 2 wingers and 2 strikers. Not saying we should play 442 all the time but I do think we need to consider it when injuries have cost us some of our pacier players.
I like Lopez and some of his passing is sublime but with him as a winger there is less support in the box for Leo than if we had 2 pacy support strikers.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
We've played a lot worse than today and won comfortably on previous occasions.

Still feel that playing a loan striker is too easy for the opposition to defend against. especially at home. We need to go for the throat with two quality strikers pressing hard.

Good game spoiled by two defensive mistakes today.

Come on OG, lets up the pace a bit and go at these sides. Wigan were allowed a smash n grab 3 points today because we lack the ability to kill off sides with a striker that looks for freekicks far too often in my opinion.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The East Stand JCLs were truly embarrassing today. All our most exciting attackers on the pitch, an epic comeback point a real possibility - players deserving to be clapped off regardless, nice mild day so no problem with queuing in the rain, rugby and "football" available on concourse screens after the match...

"Come on Giles, let's beat the rush..."

The East Stand exodus was something to behold. Wave after wave streaming out as if there was nothing to play for. Pathetic and embarrassing display.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I also agree great game two good teams and a Brighton team going for it in the last twenty mins remaindered me of the Goldstone days

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Never has a side been so outplayed and still get 3 points, if only we had somebody other than Ulloa who knows where the goal is.

That sadly is the biggest issue as no-one from midfield now scores since Crofts was injured and Ulloa is now the only competent striker we have.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
Thoroughly entertaining match. Wigan had the luckiest 3 points they'll get for a while.
A joy to see OG throw men forward to try and turn things round. Shame it didn't happen though.
Ulloa and Obika both up front was fairly worrying from a Wigan defenders point of view.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Was at the game today. Have to say I agree with the consensus that the result did not reflect the balance of play throughout the game. Brighton played the more fluid football and created far more chances, enough chances to have won about 3 matches. Really they were undone by 2 moments of naïve defending. Showing MacArthur inside on what was thought to be his swinger for the 1st goal after Upson's initial error was costly and then a free header from an unnecessary corner for the 2nd. Wigan were efficient in their 'game management' thereafter (time wasting, tactical fouls) but once Ulloa scored I felt certain Brighton would get an equaliser, not least as it was palpable how the atmosphere was lifted by the goal.

Brighton more than matched a side that happen to be the FA Cup holders and who were in the top flight for 8 consecutive years and even though the result was a disappointment, it should be taken as a positive that these are games now that the team can more than hold their own in and indeed appear to relish. Just as well given the 2 home league matches to follow and indeed the cup tie against Hull.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Been an interesting season

Really? Christ your easily pleased

I personally think given we have a lot of Poyet signings Oscar has done really well

What, the Poyet signings that got us to 4th and within 4 points of finishing 2nd?

looking forward to seeing his team take shape next season.

Based on what? I'm still waiting to hear a convincing argument as to what has been better this season over last? Sure, injurys have played a big part, sure bright spots in the youngsters, but signings? Which one of the signings that have been made since Oscar took over (note not his signings cos still not convinced they are) have actually been a roaring success?

I'm not saying that Oscar is doing a bad job, I just don't see where this 'progress' that some bang on about is being made.

black shadow

Jul 22, 2011
Hassocks
Hallelujah!

I thought we were poor again other than giving it a bit of a go in the last 15 mins.

At last, someone who seems to have watched the same game we did!! It was poor, the atmosphere was non-existent. Not saying Wigan were any great shakes, but they just about deserved the win.

the words "rose tinted specs" spring to mind I'm afraid. We won't get anywhere on Monday playing like that. :down:

Also, does anyone know if Oscar can move - rarely see any passion or motivation coming from him?|

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Really? Christ your easily pleased

What, the Poyet signings that got us to 4th and within 4 points of finishing 2nd?

Based on what? I'm still waiting to hear a convincing argument as to what has been better this season over last? Sure, injurys have played a big part, sure bright spots in the youngsters, but signings? Which one of the signings that have been made since Oscar took over (note not his signings cos still not convinced they are) have actually been a roaring success?

I'm not saying that Oscar is doing a bad job, I just don't see where this 'progress' that some bang on about is being made.

You need to build foundations for success, Poyet did then shattered them in a fit of pique which in effect put us back two plus years.

Hopefully and judging so far Oscar is looking at the longer game to get us where we want.

We all knew TB has an expectation however it will take longer than what I think he thought and he sold the belief to a lot of fans when we moved to the Amex.

Personally I am a realist therefore expect the best at least two or so years away and even if we get there be very aware it is not easy.

What is your priority, just surviving a league up or winning quite a few more games playing some pretty good football ?

I would also add the ability to become a competent Championship team is very much a bonus given previously the last three times it was quite a struggle.

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I thought some of the football in the first half was sublime
Couldn't agree more...for once we attacked the ball,went for closing them down,but it happens...break away against run of play 0-1...think we will struggle now to get anything now but considering we had a new manager who arrive at the last moment, came in late and was presented with one of the biggest list of injuries I've ever seen at the club Oscar has done well....this time next year we'll be millionaires...

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
We played the fa cup holders off the pitch we played a premiership side off the pitch blah ****ing blah, simple fact is we are clueless in the last 3rd. Even with injury and bad luck we have shown we are such a good team but just can't finish, very frustrating. Every home game I think this time someone is going to get hammered and we either squeak a 1 nil or teams like Wigan fluke a win :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here