Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Partridge - Alpha Papa

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The WHOLE Cinema were pissing themselves to the Partridge Window scene. Enjoy.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375976814.850151.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375976844.657842.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375976868.162021.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375976893.344213.jpg

Great day, even better film.
Enjoy everybody and happy Partridge day.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I LOVE Alan Partridge. Comedy gold. Series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge was genius. Very much looking forward to seeing this :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Couldn't go last night: hoping to see it at the weekend. Most relieved to see the reviews are good as I was slightly worried it would be a let down.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Going to see it tonight and I can't wait !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Couldn't go last night: hoping to see it at the weekend. Most relieved to see the reviews are good as I was slightly worried it would be a let down.

If you like Partridge you will LOVE this Edna. Fear not. I did not know much about Partridge or seen a lot of him but I laughed out LOUD on several occassions and it takes a lot to make me laugh, or even smile come to that.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I will be drinking a lady boy in Circus Circus before tomorrow's 9pm screening at the Duke of Yorks.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Let us know people what you think of the film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Coogan lives down the road from my Mum and Dad in Ovingdean. He brought the Manor for £ 2m plus. Still he invited all the locals to his house for a drink when he moved in.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've not seen the film yet but I adore I'm Alan Partidge. Its up there with Fawlty Towers, The Office, The Thick of It and Blackadder as the finest British comedy known to man.

However, I watched Steve Coogan: Stand Up Down Under on Sky Atlantic last night, and Coogan did not come across well. Its a fly-on-the-wall thing following him on a tour of Australia and New Zealand to some small-ish venues, and he clearly hated every minute of it. Morose, miserable, self-obsessed and whiney, he almost came across as a parody of his Partridge character, and despite his efforts at being funny and ironic to the camera, off stage he was anything but.

At one point they showed him on stage delivering one of his jokes as one of his other characters, which went something like:

"A bloke down our road won the lottery the other day. I went down there to congratulate him and said 'oh you must be so sick of people you barely know coming up to you now pretending to be your friend eh ?'. To which he replied 'who are you' ??."

This was met with a toe-curling, stony silence from the audience. Coogan came off stage and was incredulous at this. "Its like the Village of the Damed here. No reaction, nothing, not so much as a titter". Errr Steve, thats probably because it was a bit shit.

Felt a bit sad for him. I really don't think Coogan can do anything well except Partridge, which probably pisses him off to be fair. All his other characters are shite.

Interesting reading that. I do wonder if - finally, and not before time in my 40s - I am growing out of Coogan and Partridge.

Absolutely loved all of the series and Xmas specials, and rewatched them ad nauseum.

But Coogan the man seems like a bit of a **** these days, completely unable to take any criticism or accept the interest that goes with celebrity, and acting like a real prima donna.

I thought a lot of what he said about the press and media re Leveson came across as very thin-skinned and self-serving, totally unaware of any bigger picture (ie not him).

And as you say, the non-Partridge stuff isn't exactly impressive. I'd probably like Alpha Papa for the most part, but it is by no means certain I'll go and see it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He almost made the big time in Hollywood with around the World in 80 days with Jackie Chan. A shit load was spent on that film and it made a loss and then his career in Hollywood was over but he was actually pretty good in that film and the film was decent enough, not a disaster by any means but in film it is ALL about the Box Office.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've not seen the film yet but I adore I'm Alan Partidge. Its up there with Fawlty Towers, The Office, The Thick of It and Blackadder as the finest British comedy known to man.

However, I watched Steve Coogan: Stand Up Down Under on Sky Atlantic last night, and Coogan did not come across well. Its a fly-on-the-wall thing following him on a tour of Australia and New Zealand to some small-ish venues, and he clearly hated every minute of it. Morose, miserable, self-obsessed and whiney, he almost came across as a parody of his Partridge character, and despite his efforts at being funny and ironic to the camera, off stage he was anything but.

At one point they showed him on stage delivering one of his jokes as one of his other characters, which went something like:

"A bloke down our road won the lottery the other day. I went down there to congratulate him and said 'oh you must be so sick of people you barely know coming up to you now pretending to be your friend eh ?'. To which he replied 'who are you' ??."

This was met with a toe-curling, stony silence from the audience. Coogan came off stage and was incredulous at this. "Its like the Village of the Damed here. No reaction, nothing, not so much as a titter". Errr Steve, thats probably because it was a bit shit.

Felt a bit sad for him. I really don't think Coogan can do anything well except Partridge, which probably pisses him off to be fair. All his other characters are shite.

Thing is with Coogan, he never lets you see the real him. This again was a heightened version of himself, a self parody, which he extended to some degree with the brilliant 'The Trip' with Rob Brydon. You're saying he doesn't do any character well but Partridge, and yet he does himself to perfection.

Tony Ferrino was also brilliant mind, as was his portrayal of Tony Wilson.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I want to see it, but is there any reason to see it on the big screen over the comfort of my sofa?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I want to see it, but is there any reason to see it on the big screen over the comfort of my sofa?

No but a 3-6 month wait and the big screen is so much better with 400 other souls. A collective experience.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Any verdicts ?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Any verdicts ?

As a lifelong fan (right back to my cassettes of the Radio 4 series) I had dodged this thread, and any reviews, before seeing it as I didn't want to read bad reviews and go in expecting the worst. Needn't have bothered, it was brilliant. As someone above said, maybe even you US, there are so many gags packed in I want to see it again to see what I missed.

The cyclist stood out for me as well, it was a world champion's jersey wasn't it? Was Cav world champion when they were filming?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I went to see it again yesterday. A cinema with an audience of about 9 people, one of which, a lady a few rows ahead, was breathless with laughter. I found it very funny again.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
rewatched Saxondale recently and had forgotten how good it is, Morwenna Banks is superb, as is Ruth Jones and Darren Boyd, yet again surrounded by a great cast which has always been his strength from the early days with Rebecca Front and Doon Mackichan etc. Coogan is a star, but not a one man band, its easy to forget how much of his work has many superb writers and comic actors involved too.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I am a massive partridge fan and whilst entertaining I was left a bit disappointed if I am honest. I think the main issue is in order to cater for cinema the whole thing has been scaled up with Partridge being so over the top it was almost like a parody of partridge!!

There are naturally some great lines as you would expect but overall I prefer the smarmy, rude and bitter partridge from the series rather than the cocky swagger of his movie character.

Still worth a watch and think they have done the best they can for a wider cinema audience but left feeling perhaps a partridge movie was a step too far.

7/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here