Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Minter...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It is a small world, I used the Linden club all the time and remember the scotch incident :lol:

Blimey ... (if it was the same incident) it was my mate (or bloke I shared a flat with) at the time, we sold life insurance together for a while. He used to be a pub Landlord down Western Road somewhere but lost his job when he got banned from driving. We got sucked in by this goon at work who reckoned he was getting a lorry load of knocked off Scotch, 10,000 bottles or something. So this fella decides he's going to sell it on to Sid Minter and we're going to make a couple of quid a bottle. It was an interesting discussion and an even more interesting one when the booze didn't show up :(

Thankfully I was only a kid so no retribution!!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Blimey ... (if it was the same incident) it was my mate (or bloke I shared a flat with) at the time, we sold life insurance together for a while. He used to be a pub Landlord down Western Road somewhere but lost his job when he got banned from driving. We got sucked in by this goon at work who reckoned he was getting a lorry load of knocked off Scotch, 10,000 bottles or something. So this fella decides he's going to sell it on to Sid Minter and we're going to make a couple of quid a bottle. It was an interesting discussion and an even more interesting one when the booze didn't show up :(

Thankfully I was only a kid so no retribution!!

The bottles were minitures if my memory serves me well???

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Saw Minter 2wks after the beating he got from Hagler. Having hair cut in hairdresser somwhere in Crawley and he walked in, remember being shocked by the state of his face, scars around his eyes were awful

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
I remember it will.

He got BATTERED, and then the crowd went COMPLETLEY MAD beer bottles lobbed into the ring, fights in the crowd. As you say, he was never the same fighter after that night.

Yeah, I remember watching the fight.
I bumped into Alan Minter in a Reigate supermarket a few years ago. I recognised him and asked if he was alan Minter - after a scary gaze and short pause we stood and chatted for a minute he was ok.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I actually went to school with Ross, back in the day, and he is somewhat of a hero in the village where I grew up.

When we had the first school sports day my Dad used to curse his luck as the fathers race came up, as former world middleweight champion Alan Minter lined up alongside former England rugby captain AND international Superstars champion Andy Ripley (RIP) who also lived in the village.

To this day my old man reckons he can outrun most people over 100m but won't let it go that back in the day these contests simply weren't fair!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Used to see him around many of the pubs in Reigate when we lived up there.Shame the booze got to him.Great fighter in his day.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Lives here in Littlehampton now, often in local boozers

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Minter killed another lad in the ring, I recall he was considering quitting right then.
It had an effect on him as a sporting man

He won the title a couple of years later though.

I'm reminded of 15 Rounds, which seems like an age these days, and the fences around the Goldstone from the video above - odd how unacceptable the accepted becomes as time goes by.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here