Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Minter...

VICENTE

Aug 31, 2011
Brighton
Minter killed another lad in the ring, I recall he was considering quitting right then.
It had an effect on him as a sporting man

It wasnt litterally in the ring though was it? I thought it was more of an after-effect to what had happened in the ring previously .. I guess either way by saying he killed him in the ring your right

VICENTE

Aug 31, 2011
Brighton
Minter killed another lad in the ring, I recall he was considering quitting right then.
It had an effect on him as a sporting man

In 1978 Minter won the European middleweight championship by stopping the Italian Angelo Jacopucci in round 12. After the fight the boxers met at a restaurant and shook hands, embraced and had a few drinks. Later that night Minter left the restaurant and remembers seeing Jacopucci. "He was leaning over a bridge spewing up, but I thought he'd just had too much to drink," Minter said.

The following morning Minter found out the Italian was in a coma and shortly afterwards he died. "I was gutted. I couldn't even speak. But there is one thing and I'm not bragging, but I wanted Jacopucci's children to be able to say that their dad lost to a champion and not just some mug," said Minter who won the world title 18 months later.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Went down to his Dad's (Sid Minter) drinking club a couple of times somewhere around Regency Sq if I remember right. Bit scary for an 18 yo, saw the boy there once ... nodded at him and left!

Half way down Waterloo Street.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Correct I lived on waterloo st, the man was a hero especially when he got me a drink at the club, 13 I think I was then.

So did I, number 10 above an antique shop. When I looked out of my window I could see the church clock face.
Was lovely on a Sunday morning when the campanologist struck up. Out the other window the Iron Duke.

TerryT

Jun 14, 2011
Hagler destroyed him, didn't it then kick off in the crowd, I seem to remember all sorts going on?

Yes, was there, drinks thrown into ring, that's why they banned drinking at ringside, Hagler was bloody awesome and was for many more years

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Loved minter as a kid. The hagler fight did change him tho. My heroes as a kid were minter, cram and above all jimmy f***ing white.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Met Alan Minter once as he was opening a local off licence. Thought he was a Seagulls fan so thought I might have a bit of a chat with him. So asked him if he supported Brighton and he said yes but he also liked Palace!
FFS. Is he stupid?
Conversation did not really go anywhere.

TerryT

Jun 14, 2011
Met Alan Minter once as he was opening a local off licence. Thought he was a Seagulls fan so thought I might have a bit of a chat with him. So asked him if he supported Brighton and he said yes but he also liked Palace!
FFS. Is he stupid?
Conversation did not really go anywhere.

Met him at the hospital in East Grinstead around 8 years ago, he seemed a bit punch drunk, was having he:s eyes looked at, would only talk about Scott boxing, was really proud

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Alan Minter former world champion, and olympic medalist. Is that embarrassing? He may make the wrong choices now but too be at the very top of ones profession is no way an embarrassment.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Most of his family live of his name, Ross is a good lad but his nephew Grant is a twat, had many a run in with him in my years working the doors, and lets just say, he can't fight like his uncle Alan !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here